• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Punto

greebs

That was a nice play that he and Casilla made for the double play. Did it really take the wind out of Detroit's sails. Maybe it did.

I just can't get the picture out of my mind of Punto one hopping a ball to 2nd base when he was only 20 feet away in the Angel's series.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you have some serious issues if your're still hung up on that one... grin

Punto is the one with the issues. I see him one hopping the ball either to 2nd or first on a regular basis. People seem quick to judge Span for only having (7) doubles grin but Punto can't get the ball to first base. He simply doesn't have the arm.

Harris on the other hand has an arm like Cuddyer. Strong as they get and his accuracy isn't half bad eother.

I hope your joking about Harris because I'll never "and yes I have serious issues too" forget last week after debating the Harris versus Punto/cassila at 2nd base in this forum, the all time worst Fielding expedition in MLB history that Harris had in the extra inning game. I'll see if I can find the video of that epic meltdown...

Yeah.... I wish Pinto was hitting .290 like he did last year in his contract year. Unfortunately for you guys he did and when Peter Gammons and others call you the best all around fielder in the Majors your agent takes note and Punto took it straight to the bank....LOL!

But players that make 4 million are not supposed to bunt. cry Classic example today why he should not be on a major league roster.

Maybe he shouldn't be starting for a contender but to say that is PREPOSTEROUS to say the least... You're right to to say it but PREPOSTEROUS none the less!.. smile

OK, who was the replacement at 3rd base in the late innings that wasn't guarding the line??? Mr. Defense himself, with his cannon for an arm, Harris. I'll take Punto any day over Harris, but then, we are splitting hairs here with those 2.

Both are utility type players, not starters.

but then, we are splitting hairs here with those 2.

Agreed. Both are going to have their share of issues. I'll admit that Punto does a better job getting infront of the ball, but if he's playing 3rd base, he needs to be able to throw across the diamond to 1st without using the pitcher as the cutoff man. grin Some little league players have a better arm than Punto.

Cmon Pier, this guy just doesn't belong on a roster. Maybe a fielding coach or minor league manager. You seem like you know your ball, but Nick Punto is not a major league player. We will argue this to death. Probably the biggest reason I can't stand the guy is he hits to many fly balls and slides head first into first base. Two no-no's in baseball. He is ok in the field with the glove but below average accuracy. The Canadian saves 20 errors a year on his throws. I say Canadian cuz I cant spell Morno.

I think we have seen some of the good and bad for both players just this week. Punto makes a spectacular play to start a double play to save a run a few games back but does nothing with the bat. Last night Harris has a good night with the bat but cost us runs with his defense. He had one official error, one other play he should have made but went down as a hit, and was asleep on the play when they threw behind the runner. With the pitching the way it is you can't afford to give the other team extra outs but you can't afford to have another .200 bat in the lineup either.

Pick you poison with either. It depends on the night who would be the better player in the lineup but neither one is a complete player. I was just as frustrated with Harris' defense last night as I get with Punto waving the bat without success.

I will say this for him, he hit a grounder last night to the second baseman and ran, and I mean RAN down the first base line, even though it was routine. Instead of getting thrown out by 10 steps he got thrown out by 5. It is that kind of thing that has made him one of Gardys favorites.

Punto has the velcro glove wherever he plays. He has incredible range and usually gloves the ball perfectly. Getting it to the 1st baseman is another adventure however. I wonder what goes through Justin's head every time Punto makes one of those spectacular catches, "..Ooooh Boy..."

He strikes again, can't get a sacrifice bunt down in 3 pitches? For the second time this week? Cmon, all you Punto love birds out there GET OVER HIM. He is a joke and couldnt hit 300 in single A ball. Disgusting.