• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Was Your "Highlight" of Ice Season 2008-2009?

Shack

I had my first tip-up fishing experience during a nice long weekend and a resort on Agate lake just west of Gull near brainerd. I was lucky enough to tag along with one of my best buddies and his uncle, it was an amazing weekend. Catching northerns on tip-ups was Awesome! This was also the absolute clearest lake I have seen in a long time, I could watch the northerns as they swam by the holes, what a blast. I'm totally hooked on tip-ups now, which is why I was super excited to get a beaver dam tip-up at an estate sale for three dollars!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attending a wedding for my good friend on out on the ice on Gunflint lake. All the groomsmen lined up on buckets and had thier pics taken while jigging. Perfect wedding for hardcore laker nut!

Oh wow, I would like to hear more about this, sounds very interesting, was it like in a big tent or something? that would be pretty cool, got any pics?

The wedding was a perfect March day and a balmy 50 degrees only a couple days after a subzerosnap. The chapel was a series of custom tents linked together by a local canvas guru. There was also a dogsled race that came by and whole bunch people enjoying a good time. Here's a couple pics from the wedding on ice.

The groom drilling w/ my auger

March09ethylweddingtexas072.jpg

The groomsmen lined up on buckets

March09ethylweddingtexas087.jpg

The church on the ice

March09ethylweddingtexas081.jpg

I can't believe he talked her into it and it's definelty one for the books!

Bassfishin54- those r some fine 'gills! that would be a blast!

redhooks- not sure how your buddy talked his bride into that either- but its f-ing awesome. wish i got married on the ice-

hogs222- how did that story happen? was it because of a lost fishouse post u put on here, or what?

Yeah, I posted it under a forum and then it was moved to the stolen, memories, etc. forum. It was found because the people that stole it ditched it at a public access. My guess is that the heat that this site caused scared them a little bit.

I'm not sure if it was on another site or on the news though.

My highlight was finally getting out ice fishing after about 3 years of hockey every weekend. (3 kids in hockey) I went up to Flag Island with 6 buddies in March and caught fish like crazy. We got onto some crappies in Ontario that easily rivaled URL when I was up there 10 years ago!

I would say the last Saturday evening of walleye season in mid February. Could only access an area of the lake I was on by foot due to ice heaves, so I hoofed it about 500 yards and sat on a bucket in -0 temps and high winds to get to my GPS spot. Paid off with 3 nice keepers, 2 throw backs over 27 inches, and other nice one missed at the hole during the power hour.

My highlight of the season was introducing my 4 year old Grandson to fishing/ice fishing. I was able to watch him catch his 1st fishies. He caught a couple of Sauger and a walleye. Made our day.

S5300006-1.jpg

Two things this past ice season for me.

1) 1st time Fishing the Brainerd JC tourney!! Very COLD!! and I did catch a fish!

2) Getting my wife, (she is from Chicago), to go out in the middle of Mille Lacs fishing, drive our new truck out too! (she out fished me!!! was not cool, oh-well, next time.)

My best memories from this past season was fishing URL for the first time and limiting out, and catching my first Lake Trout through the ice. I am glad it is summer, but as we all know, winter is lurking around the corner.