• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

*2008 HSO/FM Deer Season Reports and Results!*

Shack

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im jealous.

I decided Thursday that Im going to hunt 2nd season, because the area I hunt is a lottery during the 1st season, and managed during the second. This will give me the option of either sex, instead of buck only. I still plan on bowhunting till then, but all week I was looking forward to firearms opener, then after reading the regs a bit closer decided second season is a better option for me.

Plus it will get me out of Thanksgiving day chores, as I will be out hunting.

Got a nice 8 pointer at 9:11 am. wind was blowing pretty hard, was sitting watching the side with wind at my back cuase you know mr big buck is only going to travel with wind in his face right? well I hear a branch break and up right behind me comes mama doe trotting maybe 15 yards away tops. she gets my scent and takes off right away, I turn a little to look behind where she came from and theres big boy with a big swollen neck and only one thing on his mind. luckily he stopped when he crossed the path I walked in at dragging my scent rag and I let him have it ...sort of wierd as the entire thing from first sight to deer down was maybe 15 to 20 seconds. After bow hunting it allmost feels like cheating wink

Shackbash thanks for the link with photo help and thanks everyone for the kind words. As I said in my previous post I have been bow hunting this same area trying to get I think this same buck and obviously I am not a good enough bow hunter yet to harvest a deer (second year).... but thankfully I have the ol 870 in the safe to get some meat in the freezer--sorta like a security blanket wink

We decided to bail on the afternoon hunt and will go back out tomarrow.

I did the same also grin

Iron Cowboy,

Very nice buck. That is what the opener is all about right their smile

Sat in the stand all day today(11.5hrs) Had a doe come in around 1 o'clock with a dandy doggin her. Couldnt get a shot through the thick brush, but thats the way she goes. Seen around a dozen deer so all in all it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be with the wind.

I got 3 deer, all bucks. grin I didn't even have to get cold to get them. Actually, my brother in laws and their party of 10, got 6 bucks today. There was a small 10 pointer, a couple large 8 pointers and 3 others. They don't care for the meat much, so me and an acquaintance of mine will drive over to their farm and pick up 3 deer. He'll butcher them and give me half the meat in steaks, roasts and the rest ground. It's a pretty sweet deal. This was by Canby in SW MN.

Saw a nice doe this morning about 7:30, but couldn't get a clean shot so I let her go. A buck came up about 8:15, and he was checking out the Code Blue tarsal gland gel I had on the trees. After sniffing a bit, he turned and started walking down the trail toward me. I was sitting on the ground and had a pretty good shot. He only had about 5 inch spikes, but has a good size body. I'll post the pics when I get home.

So - first day in the field with the new gun - pretty darn good.