Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sarah505

Good books??

23 posts in this topic

Hi, I want to give my boyfriend a book for Christmas but I haven’t really heard of any good ones recently. Can you guys help me out? What have you been reading and was it any good? I can’t seem to find any good books around, it’s so weird, somehow all the books I find are either totally bad or he already knows them. Anyways, thanks for your help in advance :-)

o.O, what is his interest...how old is he?

I like political books...like FIASCO..but that's a bit outdated.

If he's too peppy and happy, bring him down a little with a book called "To Live".

Current book i'm reading is "Dr Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creations." It's really a funny, well written, educational book and it's not dirty as it's name suggests.

Legacy of Ashes is pretty good too. Talks about the failures of the CIA.

Here's some I can't seem to find but would like to.

Non-Radicals I Have Known by Barack Obama

The Presidential Veto by George Walker Bush

Regulation of the Financial Industry - Why Less isn't always More by Alan Greenspan

Interns I Didn't Sleep With by Bill Clinton

The Bush Doctrine by Sarah Palin

Tough Love in the Investment House Business by Henry Paulson

Personal Responsibility by Any Democratic Legislator

Fiscal Conservative Behavior by Any Recent GOP Legislator

They used to call us game wardens was pretty good. I also liked the Dark Tower series by Steven King(7 books) and of Course there is the Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Heck I got a few more.

Moral High Ground- by members of Congress.

Geneva Accords and Human Rights - by Donald Rumsfeld.

A Study of Clauswitz and Sun Tzu - by George W. Bush.

How I Saved Iraq from Sectarian Violence - by Paul Bremer.

Hi, I want to give my boyfriend a book for Christmas but I haven’t really heard of any good ones recently. Can you guys help me out? What have you been reading and was it any good? I can’t seem to find any good books around, it’s so weird, somehow all the books I find are either totally bad or he already knows them. Anyways, thanks for your help in advance :-)

Quite possibly the best book I have ever read. I have purchased it numerous times for relatives and friends.

Luttrellbook.jpg

What kind of books does he like? My fave author is William Kent Krueger, they are murder mysteries that take place in upper minnesota. I have loved all his books and suggest them to all.

i recently read a book written by a northern mn game warden. couldnt put it down. it was short stories of events he encountered while on duty, but i will be danged if i can remember its title. a lot of help....ha, sorry. eekfrown

It was mentioned above - "They used to call us game wardens" by Bill Callies. You can get them at fleet farm. Bill had two books, and I pretty much read them in one sitting, could not put them down.

There is another series of stories by a Grand Rapids area warden that is also very good. Again, I got that at Fleet.

I would suggest "Blood and Thunder" I can't recall the author off the top of my head.

The book is about Kit Carson and the exploration and expansion westward. Its a basically a non-fiction story of manifest destiny told through the life of Carson who was a major character in the history of the time. Carson started as a trapper and became a scout for the army and then an Indian Agent.

Its very interesting and entertaining. It goes into detail on many of the Indian tribes and the interactions that took place. It goes into the battles that were fought and it touches on some of the politics of the time.

Normally I am not a big reader but I found it to be a very good read.

The other warden book being referred to is "Poachers Caught" by Tom Chapin, he actually wrote 2 books on his life as a warden, very interesting reading.

What kind of books does he like? My fave author is William Kent Krueger, they are murder mysteries that take place in upper minnesota. I have loved all his books and suggest them to all.

Just finished his newest one "Red Knife"

Bill Calles wrote a couple too. I have them both. I read Tom Chapins too and they were good, just couldn't remember the names blush probably getting senile grin

If he is into sports he might like that book by Tony Dungy. I think its called quiet strength??? i'm not totally sure if thats the title

Originally Posted By: Deitz Dittrich

I'm about 1/2 way through.

I read the Poacher Caught book by Tom Chapins...interesting short stories and I am looking forward to reading Poachers Caught 2......also if he has never read The Last American Man I suggest this book as it is a very interesting true story......

Originally Posted By: fishorgolf
Originally Posted By: Deitz Dittrich

I'm about 1/2 way through.

Once you get about 2/3's of the way you will not be able to put it down.

Wow thank you so much guys! I really have a great choice now. Thanks a lot!

I know it is a bit till christmas but it is always good to think in advance right

I would echo the comments about the poacher/game warden books. VERY good books for the outdoorsman!

Last night I just finished "The Mulligan" by Nathan Jorgensen. What a great book!! I didn't want it to end. The author is from Fairmont, MN and he has another great book called "Waiting for White Horses".

How about a "Booklet" until you hit on something he might like? Get him a subscription to the 'Minnesota Volunteer'.

You can't go wrong with "When Pride Still Mattered" about Vince Lombardi. Something every Minnesotan should read. grin