• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any Northern Ducks?

Hour north of the cities produced 9 ducks for us this morning. However, we did not see much beyond those. We wiped out half a flock of ringers right away this morning (ended with 6 of those), 2 mallards, and one goldie.

Came upon what I think was a snowy owl when we were coming in. It was white and quite large (I don't know too much about birds I can't eat). I was standing on the edge of the bog eating something. That made it worth going right there.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hunt about 2 hours north of Winnipeg in Manitoba Canada. There are thousands of Ducks still here. Our Interlake region is very wet with lots of grain in the fields. it is also very warm. Don't look for ducks till next weekend. It should get colder by then.

still tons of birds here again today. Another day of "Green heads only" We have a 8 bird limit here and it takes a couple of hours to for 4 guys to shoot a limit. It looks like we have snow coming soon so you guys might get lucky by this weekend.

hunted the outing remer area this weekend and didn't do anything in the morning saw a flock of about 200 divers mostly ringies we figured because later sunday night me and my cousin got into ringnecks like no tomarrow, Best shoot me and him have ever had. We had a flock of at least 500 or more come into the lake and they wanted in right where we were. We stopped 10 min. before shooting time ended because we had 8 birds down in 20 min. and though we had too many bluebills but turned out we didn't have one all ringnecks thank god. next time I'm identifing the birds when we get them my cousin thought the first 3 were bills and they weren't. but all and all it was a great shoot. Big rice just outside of remer I heard flocks of 25,000 divers were on were on that lake,Whether or not thats true I don't know.

fishhappy,

what lake were you on?

my dad and i were out on laura lake sat and sun.

we got 4 birds, 3 ring necks and 1 golden eye...

My cabin is on upper trelipe..

we did hear a ton of shooting on big rice and a lot of duck were flying high and 3 min later we heard tons of shots..

A lake just outside outing off of 48, sorry don't want the lake to end up full of guys.. smirk The one guy in town heres about it he and his whole family will be out there until they shoot the birds out of there. Really though people don't come out there unless they here ducks are around and then she fills up with hunters and less and less ducks, you guys did alright it sounds on laura I take it we thought about driving up there sunday but man I don't think it mattered we got into em where we were also.

it wasnt too busy but get there around 1.5hrs before shooting time if you want a good spot.

try to get the point to the right of the landing.

there are usually a group of 2 boats out on it.

if you can get out there during the day with light do it.

it will help a lot so you know where you're going.

and good luck!!

fishhappy I think it hilarious that you claim that:

*** "sorry don't want the lake to end up full of guys.. The one guy in town heres about it he and his whole family will be out there until they shoot the birds out of there"

When you post:

*** "got into ringnecks like no tomarrow"

*** "Best shoot me and him have ever had"

*** "8 birds down in 20 min. and though we had too many bluebills "

*** "next time I'm identifing the birds when we get them my cousin thought the first 3 were bills and they weren't"

*** "Big rice just outside of remer I heard flocks of 25,000 divers were on were on that lake"

Why that's hilarious to me is that YOU ARE FROM BROOKLYN PARK!!!

You admit you can't ID ducks,

Have never gotten into divers very well before,

Send everybody on this site to poor already overhunted Rice Lake,

AND BEST OF ALL YOU BLAME THE LOCALS (I live 35 minutes away)FOR POTENTIALLY OVERHUNTING AND BLABBING TOO MUCH ABOUT "YOUR" SECRET LAKE X!!!!!!!!!

Get a clue. Thanks for helping over crowding the already overhunted Rice Lake accesses though...

Just talked to buddies in NE NoDak, and it is blowing about 50-60, no power, and snow/sleet/rain, from NW. About 30 degrees and miserable. They said you can't even open the car window on N or W side without your face getting cut up from the ice/sleet. smile

Talked to another buddy in WC MN and he said the lake by him is filling up with more ducks every day, and he said what he thinks is probably a couple hundred just today alone, and this is on a small lake.

This could be a great weekend for duck hunters! The wind blew over my deer stand, so after duckin Sat morn, we are going to move my stand to a nicer spot smile

Good luck everybody, shoot those ducks!

I just got this e-mail from another HSOforum:

November 7, 2008 -- An artic blast moved out of Canada and rolled across the Dakotas yesterday, igniting a major migration event. Blizzard conditions and accumulating snow is chasing birds out of the Prairie Pothole Region and waterfowl are expected to push as far south as Nebraska, Kansas

and into Western Missouri over the next few days. As the storm system

moves into the Ohio and Tennessee Valleys, early migrating waterfowl such as teal, wood ducks and gadwall, are expected to push further south and be replaced by mallards in the northern portions of the Mississippi Flyway.