Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robert1965

have you ever freaked out on the ice from preasure cracks noises etc

35 posts in this topic

last winter in baudette. on the ice, we woke up to realy loud ice noises, that night they had to build a bridge to get over the pressure cracks. im used to it, but people new to the ice don't know what to think.

I have seen men cry, try to crawl out fishouse windows and even had one ol boy that required a change of clothes after wards. In a single booming night I may get 20 plus phone calls from anglers wanting to leave because the they are going to die. shocked When Red gets going it not only booms to beat heck but will nock you off your feet. We had one that caught me off gaurd that bounced me against the truck door pretty good.

i was in a small protable one night on spirit lake(ia) when i had to stop fishing. the lake was really rockin. killed the perch bite as well. i had my first earthquake this year and it was nothing compared to a night on cracklin' ice.

I have a cousin coming from Phoenix this winter to spend a few days in my fish house on Mille Lacs!! I'm hoping for some of that cracking so he gets the full effect!

How can you tell when it's safe and when it's not? Is it heat/coldsnap that causes it?

I was out last year on pearsons and it was quite loud. Being my car wasn't far from me I packed up and went running with my tail between my legs!

I remember myself freaking out the first time out ice fishing. That was 5 years ago. I had no idea what the noise was and my friends were sure getting a laugh from that one.

I was told by a climatologist that ice was safest when you hear that cracking because you are hearing expansion and making ice. If you don't hear noise and you are on thin ice you might just be walking on the early honeycomb ice that is sloppy and could drop you through.

To answer the question, I always get a little skittish right away. Then when I'm on that first foot I know there is little to worry about. It's like walking 1/2 mile to your deer stand in the pitch black of night...you know there is nothing to be scared of but your mind still races!

yeah-----I had a crack go right through the house I was fishing in----definitely got your attention!!!!!!!!!

I took a friend ice fishing for his first time one night and he was leary because the ice was only about five inches thick. It was a cold night and the ice cracked right under my portable and it hopped about three inches off of the ice. He jumped up off of his chair and hit his head on the top of the portable and asked what had happened. I just told him to calm down because mother nature was making some ice. When he saw that I wasn't bothered by it he calmed back down.

The worst I ever had was a trip to LOW for a quicky walleye/sauger run between christmas and new years. The Ice was just thick enough that the resorts were running bombers for the first time and pulling fish houses with them. The ice flexing and cracking from the bombers was unreal. We had water comming out of the holes and hitting the ceiling of the portable (6feet up). My buddy decided he had had enough after grabbing the side of the house when he thought we were going in. Packed up and left. he figured it was safer at the cabin grin

yeah-----I had a crack go right through the house I was fishing in----definitely got your attention!!!!!!!!!

I had one go right through my hole last winter. That one got my attention!

I have heard the same as Da Chise- it is making ice and you are safe.

I don't think thats as bad as the idiots that think doing 50+ MPH on the ice is a great idea and you get water up your holes from the waves under the ice. Those morons oughta have their necks rung.

Red Lake last year. Went on our yearly Mancation and took some newbies with us, she barked pretty loud and in about .0000001 seconds I was the last one in the fish house. We looked around and everyone in the surrounding houses were tripping over each other trying to get out of their houses. The new guys that came with us have yet to RSVP about this years trip. laugh

Ice cracking is like granny singing you to sleep the only time I get true drool sleep is on the lake,the best thing is when you are tired cause the rattles went off every hour all night.ding ding ding can't wait.But for now I guess I'll just troll.Tuesday morn and Tuesday night on green will be hot.But I'll try sunday and monday as well.

LOTW, 15 miles out in a sleeper house. We're set up 30-40 yds from the major break, only one for 10 miles, and the sucker decides to shift on us around supper. As we watched, we could see parts of it go 5 feet or more into the air. Not to mention the water that gushed up the holes and such. Pretty cool and pretty scary at the same time.

First time on the ice on the Missouri River, got a little spooked with the noise till I was told what it was and that it was normal.

I remember early ice fishing and watching a crack coming from behind me half way across the lake and by the time that it got to me it went right between my feet where I was standing. But that stuff doesn't bother me luckily because I probably would have ran off of that lake.

Was sitting in a dark house one time and had a crack go right across the hole. The ice opened up 2" or more. Sounded like someone let go with a 12ga inside that house not the mention the feeling I got to see the ice open up. That was unnerving to say the least!

Bob

Never had a big one go off while i have been out there, but i have heard some smaller ones. my cosin was a lineman for nothern state and i have never seen him jump so high in my life...that was good

Had one lift me off my bucket on first ice over 20+ fow.darn near had wet draws.It was a 2"crack.ICE JOHN

I don't run like my hair is on fire, but there might be a Hersheys kiss or two on the ice.

I was ice fishing in downtown Chicago years ago on Burnham Harbor on a busy Saturday afternioon. Two young urban looking dues in their Saturday best were strolling briskly across the frozen harbor checking out the scene. Suddenly a huge pop from an ice crack resounded across the harbor. I watched the two at the instant that it hit. They were chatting up a storm and instantly stopped dead in their tracks and, as if on hinges, immediatly swung about and anxiously skittered toward shore.

When I'm spending some nights in my wheel house the booming of the ice just reassures me that the ice is getting thicker. I do have some friends that have a tendancy to sit up on their bed for a while. It kind of covers up their snoring though which makes me feel better.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• You be lucky if there isn't a nest in the seat, and pee all over the carpet....
    • If one were measuring the debt in constant dollars instead of nominal dollars, 5% inflation reduces it by 5% of the $20 Trillion.  That is a trillion dollars.    Is that hard to understand?   Debt is only significant in relation to GDP and ability to pay.   Consider a thought experiment.   You own a thousand dollar 30 year treasuries paying 3% which is the current going rate.   So the government owes you 30 dollars a year, and a thousand dollars in 2046.   If inflation were to increase to 5%, the value of your thousand dollars goes down by 50 dollars per year.   In 2046 you get 1000 dollars which is equivalent to $215 today.   Which is a bigger problem to pay, the $1000 that you are complaining about or the $215 that actually gets paid?      Inflation has its problems but it also fixes debt concerns.  
    • So the Pence thing wasn't at a local level?   That what you were saying?     And the difference between subsidizing out of state folks and in state folks is?  Johnson subsidized the california folks coming to new mexico for a few weeks, and pence is subsidizing, by a factor of 7 less, local people keeping their jobs.     Got any numbers as to how many jobs for how long created by the Johnson hand out to Hollywood? 
    • Some other small detail items before I get to the finished pics of the entire house.   Each bench has a built in UV jig glow light.  You never have to worry about finding your keychain light (or the dead battery they always seem to have) again!   The normal bench cushion back always seems to be falling down.   I had each cushion sewn with a tab, and then installed a grommet and a hook on the wall.       On the back side of each wheel well is a rod storage compartment for 4 rods, an ice scoop, a forceps, and a few small hooks for miscellaneous stuff.   I mentioned the under cabinet and under bunk lighting in another post, but here it is in action.   And another view of my charging cabinet, with rattle reel storage.   That's all for now.  Finished pics soon!
    • I've had others, but I am a Bushnell fan.
    • Version #1 of the lift bed was a marvelous failure.  Everything looked great while building and installing it.  It was probably the most precise piece I've ever built.  The trouble was multi dimensional binding, as was pointed out in an earlier post.     Version #2 works well.  The strut channel and trolley works great, and doesn't allow any binding. You still want to lift or lower evenly, but it is really forgiving.     This is set up with 4 locking positions.  2 storage, and 2 sleeping.  I expect this to become the most frequently used bed in the house, rather than dropping the table down all the time.    The extra head room with this in its highest position is wonderful!  It isn't a direct replacement for pushing a button on the Happi Jac, but at about $1900 less, it'll work very well.  
    • This will be a bit long winded, but by far the most frequent question I get is how to wire these.  I'll try to detail as best I can.     Starting from the outside of the house I have a regular 30amp RV plug, similar to this:   From this plug I have a heavy duty 10/2 wire running to my converter, which is a Progressive Dynamics PD4045.  The nitty gritty details can be found with a search, but to summarize, it powers all your AC components, and converts AC to DC power, and charges any batteries.     My only AC components are outlets, the heating element for the electric part of my water heater, and a future expansion for a roof mount air conditioner.  Everything else is DC, and I don't use inverters (which would be used to convert 12v battery power to AC).  My reasoning is that the inverters are generally inefficient, and I have a Yamaha generator that will run over 14 hours on a gallon of gas.  That equates to about $6 per weekend with the amount I use it.             AC wires from the power panel include 10/2 to both the future air conditioner, and the water heater.  All outlets are 12/2.   I also have 10 gauge wire running from the panel to my (2) 6 volt GC2 (Sam's Club) golf cart batteries.  These are connected in series with a very heavy duty 0 gauge cable to make 12 volts.     The DC side is a bit more complicated to explain.  I have it set up in 2 categories.  (1) would be frequently used or higher draw components powered directly by the converter, each on their own fuse in the power panel.  This includes furnace, interior lights, exterior lights, ceiling fan, hydronic pump, sink pump, water heater ignition, stereo, and hole lights.  These all have a + wire from the converter to wherever the switch is located, and then continuing on from the switch to wherever the main power wire is for each component (more on this later).           Behind the converter I have a simple metal grounding bar to make all the - connections, and I have one main - wire running back to the batteries, and also grounded to the frame.         Category (2) are less frequently used, or very low power draw, or items with their own switch.  I have classified these as "always on".  This includes my two front exterior lights (so I can flip them on from the outside of the house), tv antenna, roof vents, rear bunk overhead lights, under cabinet lighting, range hood, etc.  These are all powered from the converter on a single fuse (20 amp).   So that brings me to the bathroom wall.  Knowing that the connections are by far the most likely failure point, I want to minimize the number of hidden connections buried by the spray foam.  Each light or fixture has its own separate wire to either the power panel, or my connection point in the wall.  This was taken before I got everything tidied up for spray foam, but you can see the plywood panel in the bathroom wall.         The other side of it now looks like this:    All the wires are brought down from the ceiling through the bathroom wall, with the connections made here.  You can see each has a + and - terminal bar, and then there is one other main grounding bar at the bottom, with a heavy 10 gauge - wire that runs back to the batteries and is also grounded to the frame.   So that's wiring in a nutshell!        
    • Looks like the rust belt should of went with a better rustproofing package.........     Donald Trump may have positioned himself as the champion of American workers but Republicans on the Hill are already embracing his “do as I say, not as I do” modus operandi. Under the backing of Paul Ryan, the GOP leadership stripped a provision from a water bill Monday that would have required American-made iron and steel products to be used in infrastructure projects in Flint and elsewhere funded by the Safe Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF). Democratic Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown blasted Republicans, who removed the “Buy America” provision (which passed the Senate with strong bipartisan support) while the House and Senate were reconciling the bills. In other words, GOP leadership scrapped it behind closed doors. “By stripping meaningful Buy America rules from the water infrastructure bill, Washington leadership is choosing China and Russia over Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin,” said Brown. “This was the first major test of whether Washington establishment Republicans would live up to President-elect Trump’s promises to put American products and American workers first – they failed, and American iron and steel workers will pay the price.” Now, Brown is teaming up with Democratic Sens. Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin and Bob Casey of Pennsylvania to insert the provision back in the bill. They want to reattach the provision to a nearly $12 billion Water Resource Development Act (WRDA), which authorizes dozens of infrastructure projects around the country and is on track to pass the House this week. “I’m not giving up on this fight,” Baldwin said in a telephone interview Tuesday. “Why would we pass a bill that only benefits Russian and Chinese steel corporations when we could be providing certainty to American manufacturers of steel and iron?” That sentiment was shared by some steel worker groups earlier this week: “From our end it’s a little baffling,” said Roy Houseman, a legislative representative for the United Steelworkers. “It’s been a program that’s been really successful, and it has bipartisan support. We’re just very confused by the Speaker, who’s not listening to the rest of his caucus.” In essence, “Buy America” sounds as nice to Republicans as it did to Trump, but in practice they would rather preserve the "Buy Chinese" option that Trump uses to build his skyscrapers.
    • If there are any twins fans left, I wonder if these new young bucks running the club have asked mauer if he would lift his no trade clause?  I think we know the answer.  I find it interesting to watch these winter meetings trades etc but we are never involved.  It seems like we are missing something as fans.
  • Our Sponsors