Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wish-I-Were-Fishn

Hobby, or obsession

20 posts in this topic

At what point does a hobby become an obsession?

I know this will vary depending on if you are the participant, or the observer.

If your relationships and financial goals don't suffer as a result, then it is a hobby.

um.....well....

I say if you are working full time (at least 40hrs/wk) and you actually spend more time with "the other thing" then it's an obsession.

guess I'm obsessed cool

Like stated above it depends on the observer. What I view as hobbbies my wife views as obsessions.... If you do your activities in your spare time I would call it a hobby. If you skip important family functions to do your activity then i would call it an obsession....

When you spend time at work on the internet doing non-work related searches etc......except for here.

What my wife might view as an obsession (fishing/hunting) I view as a passion. I don't have any hobbies. smirk

obsessions tend to end in nasty legal difficulties. If no charges have been filed then its a hobby.

Neither, it is a lifestyle, although passion fits the bill.

I agree with this. But wife wife says I'm obsessed. Though I don't miss any family functions or time with my family.

What my wife might view as an obsession (fishing/hunting) I view as a passion. I don't have any hobbies. smirk

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!

Could not have said that better!

hmmm...

it's part of the personality, my character, my manliness,

LOL's

"I'm not a handyman, I'm a fisherman."

every thing I do I have a passion for it. a hobby is sewing,gardening,panting,etc even tho I do some things I would call a hooby. My outdoor sports hunting/fishing I have great passion in!

Neither, it is a lifestyle, although passion fits the bill.

Im with you prov1900, look at my signature, says it all.

When you wake up at 3:38 a.m. and the alarm is set for 4:00 everytime you get a chance to get on the big water.

When you don't care if it's bull heads or monster muskies you still have a blast.

When planning the trip is as much fun as the trip because of what takes place between you and your buddies during the planning.

All else fades away except for the pursuit.

Not obsessed but with any real effort I could be.

Fishing by itself is a hobby. Hunting, Fishing, Shooting combined, I'd say they are bordering on an obsession. But passion is a much better term.