• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Santana= Damaged Goods.

SledNeck

Awwww. I feel so bad for the mets now.

Buster Olney reports in his blog for ESPN.com that Johan Santana’s velocity is down 3-4 miles per hour from a couple of years ago - according to some talent evaluators.

Olney further explains:

“He is short-arming the ball more than he has in the past — and this is after some red flags appeared in the physical examination he underwent before signing with the Mets. Sources say his shoulder showed some wear and tear, which is not unusual for a pitcher of Santana’s age. This is not to say Santana is not an effective pitcher now, but all of this information makes you wonder how effective he will remain during the course of his multi-year deal.”

http://www.metsblog.com/2008/05/22/read-santana-has-lost-velocity/

Gomez is going to be VERY good, and I have a feeling we'll see one of those pitchers that we got in the deal yet this year.

I always thought the Twins knew something about Santana that we all didn't. He really is on the decline.

I wouldn't be so quick to shoot Santana. He always started out slow and then comes on after the All-Star break. Plus, in the last two years I would suspect his run support with the Twins fell off more than his performances. That would force him to press more and cause mistakes. The way the Mets are playing, he probably isn't getting any more help from his teammates than he did with the Twins.

Yeah, this is more wishful thinking than anything else. After the B.S. he pulled on the Twins I pray he never makes it to the playoffs with the Mets, but he's still a top-notch ace.

And the Twins brain-trust certainly wouldn't have offered him $80M if they suspected he was "damaged goods".

I read in a blog that from last years all-star game until today, no pitcher has given up more home runs than Johan. He certainly isn't done but I think he has won his last Cy Young and I would be he will have more 14-12 seasons than 19-6 seasons.

Haha, I agree. Although we might need closer to 15!!

IMO, it hurt more to lose Torii than it did Johan. Torii played everyday and provided a spark and some power in the lineup, not to mention the spectacular plays in the field. Johan only played once every 5 games...

Harley, you're only entitled to your two cents if it's based on facts. smile

You think Torii only had a good year just before his contract you never watched the Twins. Torii played seven full seasons with MN in CF as a full-time player. The facts:

Average Season (7 Years in MN)

25HR, 90RBI, 141 Games, .272 Ave

Seven Seasons, Seven Gold Gloves

Only one good season? I'm sure Torii will accept your apology! wink

Harley, you're only entitled to your two cents if it's based on facts. smile

You think Torii only had a good year just before his contract you never watched the Twins. Torii played seven full seasons with MN in CF as a full-time player. The facts:

the team would gladly take these kind of numbers from any of the current outfielders on the team in a heartbeat.

Looks like 7 good seasons to me smile

3 homers in the last game, not bad...

The Twins would kill to have Hunters current production out of center field. Or if you think he defense is slipping then put him in left and let Span take over in center.

Cuddy, Hunter and Span as your three outfields beats any combination we can currently put together.

Giving a pitcher that kind of money rarely works out for a team. When pitchers start getting alittle older they tend to drop off very quickly and then what do you do with them? There isn't much you can do with an older pitcher who lost the arm. A player like hunter will last longer and fall of slower. Also when he does start to slow down you could move him from center to left or right field. He could also spend more time at DH so you still have options.

Twins should certainly have gotten more from Santana, but he backed the team into a corner & pretty much forced a trade. And when other teams know you have to act, you lose a signficant amount of leverage.

I loved Johan up until that point, but when he started playing the 'trade me or else' card I lost a lot of respect for him. Now I'm praying he never reaches the playoffs with the Mets or anybody else. Jerk!