• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smaller brisket smoke method

rundrave

25 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

I wouldn't call BBQ pork gourmet.;)

It's just finding enough of the right combinations of strong spices and salt to make the poor, tough cuts tolerable to eat.:grin:

Kinda like the buffalo wings craze. Wings used to be the throwaway parts of a chicken you had to take to get breast meat. Now per pound they are more expensive than any other part of the chicken.   

Not a complaint at all as I am pretty addicted to wings and I live pulled pork as well. 

Just an observation./opinion. No harm or hurt feelings intended.

Except your thesis is contradicted by the fact that much BBQ doesn't really have much in the way of "strong spices".   

43 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

I wouldn't call BBQ pork gourmet.;)

Sucks to be you, I guess.

43 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

It's just finding enough of the right combinations of strong spices and salt to make the poor, tough cuts tolerable to eat.:grin:

You really don't know much about BBQ, do you?

Agree to the fact that sometimes things we smoke do add up money wise.  I smoked 35 pounds of goose sausage today for the kid, spent around 100 bucks, trim, seasonings, casing etc.  But......... i got to drink about 13,14 and watch the queens while i did it, thats why I smoke. lol

13 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

A bit off subject and I love firing up the smoker for a little meat centric voodoo as much as anyone but time and seasoning costs money and sometimes I find that by the time you buy everything we use to bring,inject,rub,produce and trap the smoke and otherwise cover these lesser cuts to make them taste right we could have had a nice steak on a grill.

:grin:

Sacrilege!!

Burn him! Burn him! 

10746175.gif

9 hours ago, blue_healer_guy said:

Agree to the fact that sometimes things we smoke do add up money wise.  I smoked 35 pounds of goose sausage today for the kid, spent around 100 bucks, trim, seasonings, casing etc.  But......... i got to drink about 13,14 and watch the queens while i did it, thats why I smoke. lol

And one doesn't get much in the way of steak for 3 bucks a pound.

6 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

And one doesn't get much in the way of steak for 3 bucks a pound.

Then again by the time you factor in decoys,calls,shotguns,shells,has,license etc the goose was about $875 a pound.:lol:

11 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Sucks to be you, I guess.

You really don't know much about BBQ, do you?

Fair enough, I guess you can call anything gourmet and get by with it.:grin:

small-plate-gourmet-food-wedding-1081832.jpg

23 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

A bit off subject and I love firing up the smoker for a little meat centric voodoo as much as anyone but time and seasoning costs money and sometimes I find that by the time you buy everything we use to bring,inject,rub,produce and trap the smoke and otherwise cover these lesser cuts to make them taste right we could have had a nice steak on a grill.

:grin:

I love a good steak. But the smoker is great and I enjoy doing it. This weekend I had a bunch of things to get done around the house inside and out. Why not throw something on the smoker? 

For the most part is was set it and forget it and took very little time or effort. I bought it at the store. Opened and rinsed. Rubbed with montreal steak season and wrapped it back up and let it sit in the fridge. Same thing I would do with a steak.

My kids woke me up at 6am saturday. So I removed it from the fridge and let it come to room temp. Put it on the smoker at 7am and didnt touch or look at it until noon. Then I wrapped it in foil and let it go for a few more hours. Pulled it at 200 and put it in the cooler.

I am willing to wager the amount of work to season a steak, and stand over a grill to watch for flare ups, let it rest and wrap in foil is virtually no less  or more work than a grilling a steak.

And I am not going to find any good cut of steak for $4.50 a lb thats for sure.....

12 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Kinda like the buffalo wings craze. Wings used to be the throwaway parts of a chicken you had to take to get breast meat. Now per pound they are more expensive than any other part of the chicken.   

You can get chicken wings for $2.25 a lb? Breasts typically run around $3 a lb unless you get it on sale. Its rare but you can get whole fryers for $1.50 but getting hard to find and I aint eating wings off one of those lol

4 hours ago, rundrave said:

I love a good steak. But the smoker is great and I enjoy doing it. This weekend I had a bunch of things to get done around the house inside and out. Why not throw something on the smoker? 

For the most part is was set it and forget it and took very little time or effort. I bought it at the store. Opened and rinsed. Rubbed with montreal steak season and wrapped it back up and let it sit in the fridge. Same thing I would do with a steak.

My kids woke me up at 6am saturday. So I removed it from the fridge and let it come to room temp. Put it on the smoker at 7am and didnt touch or look at it until noon. Then I wrapped it in foil and let it go for a few more hours. Pulled it at 200 and put it in the cooler.

I am willing to wager the amount of work to season a steak, and stand over a grill to watch for flare ups, let it rest and wrap in foil is virtually no less  or more work than a grilling a steak.

And I am not going to find any good cut of steak for $4.50 a lb thats for sure.....

You can get chicken wings for $2.25 a lb? Breasts typically run around $3 a lb unless you get it on sale. Its rare but you can get whole fryers for $1.50 but getting hard to find and I aint eating wings off one of those lol

Yeah, I apologise for derailing the thread. I was just making a good natured observation and it seems a few took it far more serious than it really was.:grin:

I enjoy doing it as well. 

56 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Yeah, I apologise for derailing the thread. I was just making a good natured observation and it seems a few took it far more serious than it really was.:grin:

I enjoy doing it as well. 

You sound like a BBQ fence sitter to me....:D

50 minutes ago, rundrave said:

Turned out pretty good again this time I should have trimmed a little fat off the top:

IMG_2141.JPG

That looks beautiful, Man!  :)   Suks getting older and finding yourself lusting after a good piece-of meat now! :(

Well or still! :lol:

Edited by leech~~

Looking good rundrave,  mamma picked up a 3 #er at cub today. At the start of this thread I mentioned Rh's method on covering with bacon, I'm sure it would hold the moisture  but thinking about it I don't believe much of the smoke makes it in to the brisket. 

I think I'll do best of both and cold smoke for a while  then wrap in bacon and see what happens.. experiment with the small ones and infuse in the bigger ones.

5 hours ago, bobberineyes said:

Looking good rundrave,  mamma picked up a 3 #er at cub today. At the start of this thread I mentioned Rh's method on covering with bacon, I'm sure it would hold the moisture  but thinking about it I don't believe much of the smoke makes it in to the brisket. 

I think I'll do best of both and cold smoke for a while  then wrap in bacon and see what happens.. experiment with the small ones and infuse in the bigger ones.

Ha, my wife picked up a small one as well. I am building a bit of a Smoker pile with 3 turkeys, chicken wings and now a brisket to get at once ice fishings done!

47 minutes ago, otterman91105 said:

Hey guys just wondering whats the difference between a regular brisket and a corned beef brisket flat? I just bought a corned beef brisket flat at half price so was thinking of smoking it! Any advise?

Good question that I was wondering about as well and Googled it.

Is corned beef and beef brisket the same thing?

ANSWER: They are both beef, but not the same thing. Fresh beef brisket is like a big roast. Corned beef starts out as beef brisket and is brine-cured first. The brine-cure is what makes it corned beef and that curing process is where it gets its color from.Aug 14, 2017

22 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Smoked corned beef brisket is called pastrami.

Think I like Pastrami better. Boiling is for eggs! :P

Both cuts of beef are cured, which means they've been brined in a salt water solution. The brine may or may not include spices and seasoning. The cooking process differs after the curing. Corned beef is boiled while pastrami is smoked. Feb 19, 2015

Edited by leech~~

1 hour ago, otterman91105 said:

Might sound like a dumb question but do you smoke it the same way as a normal brisket? Sounds like from reading this forum that smoke it till around 160 then wrap in foil and finish off till 190-195?

Yes.... and no.  I sent my wife to get a brisket flat - she came home with a corned brisket. I didn't have the heart to tell her that she picked up the wrong slab of meat, but surely wasn't going to let it go to waste. What I did was cut it in half and try it two different ways. The first half I cooked similar to what I would  a standard brisket... Low and slow, smoke for 2 hrs and then turn up 225 until it hits 160, then finish in foil. Results were so/so. It was tender (almost too tender) and seemed drier than I was expecting... of course I was comparing this to the standard un-brineed brisket product. The next have I took a little different approach and decided to cook it more like a pork loin straight on at 225 and pulled it off at 165. To me, this resulted in a better product. It was tender enough to make nice slices for sandwiches and seemed to be jucier. I am thinking that it has to do with the brine breaking down the fat ... Just my two cents.

Well i smoked it last night and it turned out so tender and good. Best thing i have ever smoked before. The whole family just loved it. I smoked it at 225 till 160 then wrapped it in foil till 200. Pulled it and let it rest in cooler for about 1 1/2 hours. 

4 minutes ago, otterman91105 said:

Well i smoked it last night and it turned out so tender and good. Best thing i have ever smoked before. The whole family just loved it. I smoked it at 225 till 160 then wrapped it in foil till 200. Pulled it and let it rest in cooler for about 1 1/2 hours. 

The pictures look great! :whistle: :whistle: