• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vex FL-18

Cooperman

I have been fishing with my old trusty FL-8 for at least 15+ years now, but now that I'm retired and have more time to fish, I have an opportunity to purchase an FL-18 for $309.00 thru a discount my wife can get. Would you jump on that deal or should I get a newer model? From what I have read, it's seems like a good unit. I mainly fish for crappies, and walleye. It's the Vex FL-18 Genz pack

Edited by Cooperman
Additional info

23 minutes ago, Scott O. said:

For that price, yes jump on the deal!  Unless you feel like stepping up the FLX-28 for $640, I'd stick to the 18 any day!

Plus + 1 if it's a new unit that's a good price. I love the zoom on my unit.

If the 18 is the only option, it would be an awesome upgrade to the 8.  The zoom features are awesome.  But if you can get a good discount on a 20 or 28, I'd recommend one of those.  The screens are much easier to read.  I have a 20 and I don't foresee needing anything for a long, long time!

1 hour ago, bigwalleye30 said:

If the 18 is the only option, it would be an awesome upgrade to the 8.  The zoom features are awesome.  But if you can get a good discount on a 20 or 28, I'd recommend one of those.  The screens are much easier to read.  I have a 20 and I don't foresee needing anything for a long, long time!

I'm with you on the flat screen. I have an 18 and a 20 and I don't use the 18 just because I cant stand looking down the cone anymore. It is a great unit though and if you haven't become used to a flat screen and don't mind the cone go for it.

13 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Plus + 1 if it's a new unit that's a good price. I love the zoom on my unit.

That's a decent price on a used unit, when they retail for what, $450?

15 minutes ago, fishersofmen said:

I'm with you on the flat screen. I have an 18 and a 20 and I don't use the 18 just because I cant stand looking down the cone anymore. It is a great unit though and if you haven't become used to a flat screen and don't mind the cone go for it.

I never had a problem with the cone and small screen until I bought my humminbird, now that thing looks tiny.

They were at Scheels a week or two ago for not much over that $309 price. Basic unit but I was surprised at the price especially at Boutique Scheels. Highest priced store on earth usually, right up there with Cabella's.