• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So when's it walkable...?

Stick in Mud

Go out carefully drill and measure-2'' good, so the whole lake is 2''? Course not, and I don't feel like typing out the 10 or more variables that effect ice thickness, 4'' gives you some wiggle room

2'' does not IMO

Lake Benton was froze over on Tuesday night as far as my eye could see. I will give it until Thursday and try it then. Might bring a friend along smile

Not sure if your familiar with perch lake north of Ivanhoe but that was completely open last night. Tonight there's about an inch and a half in the bay south of the boat landing otherwise the rest of the lake was open.

I am guessing the "one person on foot" who can safely walk on 2" of ice weighs no more than 150 lbs.

With all my winter clothing and carrying fishing gear I probably weigh close to 270 lbs., so my minimum safe ice is 2.75", and that is new clear ice in perfect condition.

I'm right there with you. The ice we were on today had large areas of 2" and some areas with 2.75" so don't forget to account for variance when you're out there!

PS. We didn't walk on the 2" areas, so I can't attest that the chart is an accurate measure for safe travel (which I don't think it is). Chisel goes through, I turn around... that's my first rule.

Love this time of year....every year. Having a discussion between 2 and 2 3/4.... in my mind borders on the insane....and my mind is not all that "normal" to begin with grin As th64 mentioned ....way to many variables. Maybe just too old and "shriveled up", but will wait a few extra days smile

checked one of the lakes I hit for early ice and it was starting to ice over. from the looks of it I should make my goal of November 30th if I fish this lake as it will be completely froze over by then and atleast 4 to 6 inches thick by then. the lake is kind of protected from the wind a little so that helps it freeze up sooner too. the funny part is that the other lake this one connects to is wide open with a just a slight sign of ice starting to form on its shoreline. going to go there again tomorrow and take some pics of the ice forming.

Love this time of year....every year. Having a discussion between 2 and 2 3/4.... in my mind borders on the insane....and my mind is not all that "normal" to begin with grin As th64 mentioned ....way to many variables. Maybe just too old and "shriveled up", but will wait a few extra days smile [/quot

I am with you here PB, my family is far more important to me than me taking a chance to catch a fish a week before anyone else.

Just plan dumb to risk a chance like that.

I went out to a lake one year and there was 12" next to the boat landing only to walk out to a spot start drilling and about dropped my auger as it cut through only 2 inches or so of ice. I couldn't get out of there fast enough, but lesson learned. Another time I went out early in the morning, still dark, set up, only to find out the birds were keeping a spot of water open about 75' from where I was. One more lesson learned.

I can't wrap my head around why the charts say a person can go on thinner ice than a snowmobile. Drive a snowmobile into some deep snow or slush and get off, what happens... the snowmobile sits on top, and you sink in to your knees.

Do the math, a person on 2 feet has roughly twice the PSI of a snowmobile with a person and gear on it. I must be missing something ??

I can't wrap my head around why the charts say a person can go on thinner ice than a snowmobile. Drive a snowmobile into some deep snow or slush and get off, what happens... the snowmobile sits on top, and you sink in to your knees.

Do the math, a person on 2 feet has roughly twice the PSI of a snowmobile with a person and gear on it. I must be missing something ??

Tilt the snowmobile (or ATV) on its side, hit the brakes, accelerate, etc., and you shift the weight distribution, thus increasing the pressure to the ice. That's probably why.

Why anyone would risk their life just for a few fish always blows my mind. To fish in the dark alone, or venture out beyond shore without a spud bar is just not smart.

If you need your fishing fix on early ice, BE SAFE, ware a PFD, use a spud bar every step or two, carry some ice picks, even a weighted throw rope, and go with a buddy or two. Simple insurance.

Good Luck, I'd rather taste fish at Red Lobster, or maybe fry up a few I froze over fall, instead of getting wet and cold. I'll wait until the ice thickens up.

There are a lot of factors when it comes to ice safety. You need to know:

1. The ice thickness

2. How hard/soft the ice is...

3. Does the lake freeze evenly?

4. Are there springs?

The problem with the DNR's recommendations for ice thickness/safety is that they really want to over-simplify the issue. You can't really publish "guidelines for ice safety" that are universal... so they make them super-conservative. As a kid, I can remember venturing out onto ice that was 2 inches and it was, in hindsight, quite safe! (wouldn't do it again, though).

The key thing, to me, is that you have to know your lake. I've fallen through ice that was more than two feet thick (soft spot), on foot, immediately after a car drove through the same area. There are a lot of special cases.

For first ice, I stick to lakes/spots of lakes that I know are safe, year after year. Even then, I'm a chicken (and I mean that as a self-compliment), so I bring all sorts of safety gear (ice picks around my neck, etc) and I wait until the ice is 4-5 inches. I'm more than happy to let someone else be the first one out each year.

Up around the Duluth area, some of the flowage lakes are still open in areas. Other lakes have anywhere from 2 to 3 inches. No snow in the forecast and cold temps at night will have a lot of the smaller lakes ready to fish by next weekend.CAUTION WHEN GOING OUT !!