Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deitz Dittrich

Dog days, schmog days...

26 posts in this topic

I hear from many people that this time of the year its sooooo much tougher fishing. Called the "Dog days".. The only lake I have had a hard bite on as of late was Mille Lacs(Today for a few hours) But I have been able to put 6 fish over 5 lbs in the boat in the last 3 days, with about 20 fish over 4 lbs.. been a very fun last week of summer before going back to school.

Bite really depended on the lake, on some lakes it was really an off shore drop shot bite, while other lakes it seemed like the thick thickest garbage you could find was better.. Just got to get out there and give her a shot I guess.

Well you know what they say Dietz, " The good fishermen are still catching fish" That was an impressive outing you reported on the the other day with the 53 in three hours.

We've been catching some fish lately, but not nearly as often as earlier in the year. It's not that you can't catch fish, it's just you have to work harder to catch them. There was a day earlier in the year when I went through the box and threw all my new lures, catching at least one fish on everyone of them. Not anymore, it takes the right presentation in the right spot.

I'm ready for fall though, when you can throw muskie baits and catch any gamefish species.

I've had probably my best summer fishing ever this year. This spring I was catching the numbers I was used to but I was on big fish so I couldn't complain. Once it got into summer the numbers have came up and I am still getting the big ones. It is not just one lake or one species either. I've done well on everyy lake except one and for both largies and smallies. I even got smallies going on a frog in some slop last weekend, what a blast.

I dont care for excuses, period! If I have a bad day I dont say oh it was because of the weather, pressure, dog days, etc. Sure those are going to factor where the fish will be or how willing they will be to bite but if I dont catch much of anything I feel I just failed to put together a solid pattern.

DD, What times of days have you been having most luck? I went out last weekend and it was a struggle from noon to 6pm for myself and my dad, then once the sun started setting we got into a bunch a fish

Craigums.. I'm usually a morning guy.. I hit the lake as sun up and fish till I am hungry usually. But the deep bite seems to be steady most of the day. I ran into a very nice group of fish the other day at 2pm...

I used to work with a guy who said the only good months to fish were months that had an "R" in em.

After catching a 6-4 in Calhoun I told him "I sure like fishing in Jurly." In Aurgust I was able to tell him the same thing with another over 6. smile

Nice catchin Deitz!

I have had good success during the middle of the day in 6 - 14 ft of water with crank baits and drop shotting. I use the crank bait to locate fish and then slow down. Also have been out several late evenings this past week and have found good numbers of fish on top water baits in the reeds.

This is just a great time of the year up here in the Brainerd lakes area.

I am seriously thinking about heading over to Mille Lacs later this week....maybe Wednesday or Thursday to fish Smallies. Just wondering if any of you guys have had success on the North end of the lake?

Not as many spots on the north end, but I think the lack of areas concentrates the fish up there more.

Quote:
I used to work with a guy who said the only good months to fish were months that had an "R" in em.

He must have been an oyster fisherman.

Thanks Cecil.... I am headed over on Thursday. Hopefully I can find the concentrated fish.

There is nothing better (other than sticking a piggy) than getting munch on a lake at a warf! I dream about it all winter, but then again I do love food!

"fish till your hungry, must be off lake by 9 am"

I would have thought that his new boat would have enough storage for the extra snacks to keep him on the water longer? smile

Quote:
Bite really depended on the lake, on some lakes it was really an off shore drop shot bite, while other lakes it seemed like the thick thickest garbage you could find was better.. Just got to get out there and give her a shot I guess.

That is just what I find in the Dog days. With the water column stratified it is not easy to find the depth that the fish prefer. Then once you find them there is no guarantee they will be there tomorrow. Throw that in with a lot of small fish from this years hatch and things can get tough. The bait fish do show up well on your depth finder though!