• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog days, schmog days...

Deitz Dittrich

I hear from many people that this time of the year its sooooo much tougher fishing. Called the "Dog days".. The only lake I have had a hard bite on as of late was Mille Lacs(Today for a few hours) But I have been able to put 6 fish over 5 lbs in the boat in the last 3 days, with about 20 fish over 4 lbs.. been a very fun last week of summer before going back to school.

Bite really depended on the lake, on some lakes it was really an off shore drop shot bite, while other lakes it seemed like the thick thickest garbage you could find was better.. Just got to get out there and give her a shot I guess.

We've been catching some fish lately, but not nearly as often as earlier in the year. It's not that you can't catch fish, it's just you have to work harder to catch them. There was a day earlier in the year when I went through the box and threw all my new lures, catching at least one fish on everyone of them. Not anymore, it takes the right presentation in the right spot.

I'm ready for fall though, when you can throw muskie baits and catch any gamefish species.

I've had probably my best summer fishing ever this year. This spring I was catching the numbers I was used to but I was on big fish so I couldn't complain. Once it got into summer the numbers have came up and I am still getting the big ones. It is not just one lake or one species either. I've done well on everyy lake except one and for both largies and smallies. I even got smallies going on a frog in some slop last weekend, what a blast.

I dont care for excuses, period! If I have a bad day I dont say oh it was because of the weather, pressure, dog days, etc. Sure those are going to factor where the fish will be or how willing they will be to bite but if I dont catch much of anything I feel I just failed to put together a solid pattern.

I used to work with a guy who said the only good months to fish were months that had an "R" in em.

After catching a 6-4 in Calhoun I told him "I sure like fishing in Jurly." In Aurgust I was able to tell him the same thing with another over 6. smile

Nice catchin Deitz!

I have had good success during the middle of the day in 6 - 14 ft of water with crank baits and drop shotting. I use the crank bait to locate fish and then slow down. Also have been out several late evenings this past week and have found good numbers of fish on top water baits in the reeds.

This is just a great time of the year up here in the Brainerd lakes area.

I am seriously thinking about heading over to Mille Lacs later this week....maybe Wednesday or Thursday to fish Smallies. Just wondering if any of you guys have had success on the North end of the lake?

Quote:
Bite really depended on the lake, on some lakes it was really an off shore drop shot bite, while other lakes it seemed like the thick thickest garbage you could find was better.. Just got to get out there and give her a shot I guess.

That is just what I find in the Dog days. With the water column stratified it is not easy to find the depth that the fish prefer. Then once you find them there is no guarantee they will be there tomorrow. Throw that in with a lot of small fish from this years hatch and things can get tough. The bait fish do show up well on your depth finder though!