• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wacky Wormin the early season

Lund1700Angler

Sure, it's effective, but not really necessary. You can cover a lot more water with a lipless crank, spinnerbait, swim jig, swim bait. Focus on the reaction bite rather than finesse during pre spawn.

By the time season opens they should be either on beds or sitting on the inside weedline around spawing areas. Wacky wormin is an awesome technique for fishing those conditions! Long cast may come into play if your in shallow or clearer water

Good Luck

By the time season opens they should be either on beds or sitting on the inside weedline around spawing areas. Wacky wormin is an awesome technique for fishing those conditions! Long cast may come into play if your in shallow or clearer water

Good Luck

I agree, using this technique on the inside weedline this time of year is deadly. i always have one tied on.

By the time season opens they should be either on beds or sitting on the inside weedline around spawing areas.

Water temp is 53 degrees down here in southern MN. I doubt they'll be on beds by next weekend.

Originally Posted By: OutkastC
By the time season opens they should be either on beds or sitting on the inside weedline around spawing areas.

Water temp is 53 degrees down here in southern MN. I doubt they'll be on beds by next weekend.

That doesn't seem right, we were getting upper 50's on Wisconsin opener a couple weeks ago (quite a bit further north), and I doubt they've gone down any (didn't head up last weekend due to mother's day and prom for my sister).

I have seen fish on beds on a few lakes already

opening weekend the night time surface temps on tetonka was 58 and sakatah was 60

my pesonal favorite time for wacky worms is pre to post spawn and rarly ever use it past the end of July

I agree the moon an important factor of the spawn

but water temp is a must and before walleye opener water temps where 57-59 main lake and 60-62 in wind protected sun soaked areas so it getting close. when its time its time wether or not either factor is present. I have heard that they can digest their eggs if condition are not right when its time

.....I have heard that they can digest their eggs if condition are not right when its time

I haven't heard that before. Very interesting. Does this void the eggs of fertilization for the current spawn season or can they be used?

Originally Posted By: OutkastC

seems chilly, maybe get your temp gauge checked because I was getting main lake temps of 52 north of alexandria last weekend on bigger lakes. Plus I fish in Rochester during the week.

A jigworm, Ooops, I mean shakey head is an awesome inside weedline lure. The cant handle it wiggling across the bottom all sexy like!

Originally Posted By: Reid G

seems chilly, maybe get your temp gauge checked because I was getting main lake temps of 52 north of alexandria last weekend on bigger lakes. Plus I fish in Rochester during the week.

That was from my SI transducer on the transom last saturday morning a 6:30am on a lake by Mankato. Maybe I will have it checked out.

This time of year surface temp can change A LOT in a day and Saturday was a little chilly. Also, if a ducer sits a couple inches deeper in water it can make a BIG difference.