• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Official Packers Off-season Thread!!

Rick

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at worest he can help with the read option during drills

Bingo! They open the season against the 49'ers, do the math. If Rogers goes down, it doesn't matter who the backup QB is, they aren't winning the Superbowl.

Yep... I'll take an out of the league two time pro bowler / rookie of the year vs. Graham Harrell in a back up roll. Not expecting that they would be a bowl contender, but at least you can probably be able to stomach through watching the game....

Now we gotta get lucky and find at least a serviceable lineman to fill in for the oft injured Bulaga. Hate to say it... but bye-bye Brian! This will now make 27 games missed in three seasons... there is no upside to keeping a guy like that around no matter what the talent level or how badly he is needed to fill that spot on a roster.

Good Luck!

Ken

They keep piling up:

Quote:
The Packers just wrapped up practice, and coach Mike McCarthy told reporters that wide receiver Jordy Nelson would miss the rest of training camp after having knee surgery.

Quote:

This comes after wide receiver Randall Cobb left practice today with what McCarthy referred to as a biceps injury.

luckily it looks as though Nelson has a shot at making it back for the opener.... The surgery was to repair some nerve damage, not physical damage to the knee. Dr.s are reporting 4-6 weeks recovery. Opener is just over 4 weeks away.

Let's hope Cobb just has a boo-boo...

Good Luck!

Ken

now they are reporting Bulaga is gettting a second opinion and would like to play through the tear. Word is he finished the scrimmage and did not even realize he had torn it... McCarthy and Bulaga are metting with another round of Drs to see their opion on the matter. Word is suppose to be out this afternoon of their findings.

Good Luck!

Ken

Having had one i would certainly get it fixed and make sure it is right before playing again. If it is only a partial it may heal back but if it is stressed before healing it can tear the rest of the way.

but if he wants to I guess it is his choice.

Bakhtari has been a beast throughout training camp, barely getting beat in the 1-on-1 drills. I'm not fan of starting rookies, especially at left tackle. However, he seems to be showing more promise on the O-line than we've seen in a while. The real question will be whether he can hold up the entire season and into the playoffs.

My bet is that Barclay nails down the RG spot with Newhouse and VanRoten as the backups. Newhouse backs up at LT. VanRoten at guard. Barclay is learning center and knows guard so he can bounce around if necessary.

That really isnt saying much. Hell, our back up is better then our starter wink

Thats why he sat out all last year and no one picked him up (Young)?

I am not a Ponder apologist, but he was afforded the luxury of sitting behind one of the NFL's all time greats before being forced to start, I think we would be looking at this completely differently. He got to wait 3 years before being forced to start.

I think things could be different for Ponder if he were able to learn for 3 years before starting. Any QB would.

^

I disagree....strongly. 2c

I guess you cannot rewrite history, but to think Ponder wouldnt have benefitted by sitting behind someone like Favre (like Rodgers did) for 3 years is assinine at best.

As a comparo, look at Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers in comparison. Smith has largely struggled his entire career, resurrecting it a bit with Harbaugh, but have being thrust into the starting role from day one he was overmatched. Smith, as a top pic should have been ready, right? Rodgers plummeted in the draft, far below where "experts" thought he would be picked. Why? Anyone's guess, maybe everyone but GB was wrong and they had it right, but I do not for one second think that Aaron Rodgers would have performed markedly better in his first 3 years in the league than what Ponder is doing in his first 3. Manning? Same scenario, he was terrible at first. He will go into the record books as one of the all time greats, but it didnt start out that way. There are FAR more busts at QB than ones that excel, but those who arent thrown to the wolves right out of college tend to do better than those who are down the road (beyond year 3). This year is big for Ponder. I am not trying to take anything away from Rodgers, because he is an excellent QB, but I think he would have faired about the same as many others had he been forced to start from day 1.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Packer talk.

Back to the schedualed packer talk after I get this off my chest. Dont even bother comparing Ponder and Alex smith to Rodgers abilities, thrown to the wolves right away or not. Its not even close. There have been plenty of QBs starting there first year that have done fine, Andrew Luck, RG3, Russel Wilson, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, pretty sure Cam Newton did ok his first year too.

This is a huge year for Ponder. Do I see him doing well? No, but thats just my opinion.

Dont even bother comparing Ponder and Alex smith to Rodgers abilities
Why not? At least with Smith and Rodgers, most of the football world felt that they were pretty much equal coming out of college. Therefore it's a reasonable conclusion that something happened to each player that influenced their football fates. There are too many variables to just pick one, but I have no doubt in my mind that Rodgers is better for having learned the good and the bad from Favre.

As for the whole Ponder vs Young debate...kind of pointless. Young won't start for GB unless there is an injury, or series of injuries. With the way he's throwing interceptions in training camp he may not even make the first cut-down. Ponder is on notice as well. The Vikings can eat his contract after this season if he doesn't improve.

Back to actually talking about the Packers, Bakhtari is looking awesome at LT so far. It will be good to see how he holds up in his first PS game this Friday.

For those who may not be close enough to the WI border to get the radio signal for games, WTMJ announced that they will live stream Packer games plus the pre- and post-game shows on their HSOforum. So if you want to hear Wayne Larrivee and Larry McCarren, cruise over to the WTMJ HSOforum on Friday night an hour or two before kickoff.