• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Official Packers Off-season Thread!!

Rick

Quote:
I just don't see the running game improving all that much. Every year it seems the Pack has "the answer" to their weak running game, and every year its terrible and Rodgers throws about 60 times a game

These are the 1st two RBs in recent memory that the Packers have drafted that you can say have better than average talent... it is the first time in over a decade that they had two backs on the squad with at the same time with better than average talent. I know it is a huge jump from college to the pros, but I'm hoping one or both can make the transition.

I don't think the Pack are looking to become a running team, ala the Vikes. I think at best they need a viable back who can get them at least 1000 yards a season. Much the same as Levens and Bennett in the Farve era. It keeps the defense honest as they do have to account for the run and keeps a little pressure off the QB. It can also open up new plays with screens and safety valve options...

I'm excited to to see a more balanced approach to the offense....

Good Luck!

Ken

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Packers were built to be a passing team...their running game will mirror much of what we've seen in the last 5 years.

I kinda agree with this, since they will stay a pass orientated team, but the new RB they have, will only make their passing game that much more dangerous, because now they have a RB that can break loose, and you will have to keep their running game honest, unlike before.

Kinda opposite of the Vikings, we had the running game thing mastered, but our passing game sucked, now with the new additions this year, we will still be a running team, but teams will need to watch our passing game a little better now, which should open up Peterson for a few more long yardage runs, with less carries per game.

Oline makes a lot of the reason for a back to be good, but #1 is how much talent and vision they have. Lot of backs have been good with sub-par olines...
There are far more mediocre running backs that have produced well behind good lines than the Barry Sanders types that have succeeded behind mediocre lines.

Green Bay's offensive line has been atrocious for years. They can't run block for anyone and Finley is too Randy Moss-ish, blocking when he wants to block. I'd like to say that our O-line is better at pass protection but you can't say that either. We are consistently in contention for giving up the most sacks, and despite Rodgers holding onto the ball a little long, Rodgers' play has prevented more sacks than it has caused.

I'm hopeful for the new RBs we drafted, but talent doesn't mean a thing to me as they come out of the draft. We need to see production at the pro level to truly assess talent.

packers need to get a practice team guy to run the read option.

Capers needs to get with the program or the packers will be one and done again.

My prediction is 49ers and Broncos in Super Bowl with 49ers winning.

packers need to get a practice team guy to run the read option.

Capers needs to get with the program or the packers will be one and done again.

My prediction is 49ers and Broncos in Super Bowl with 49ers winning.

I predict kaepernick goes down with a season ending injury....

Capers isn't the main culprit in the SF playoff loss. One could argue that he had one great season in 2010 with several mediocre ones at best, yet the defense was badly outplayed by the SF offense. Capers started the game with a gap exchange defense, which is generally considered a solid choice against a zone read offense. When things weren't working he moved back to the Packers straight-up defense which did equally bad. He then went back to the gap exchange. He didn't really move away from the man coverage, but when Raji, Wilson, Walden, and others are getting consistently obliterated by the O-line, it doesn't matter what scheme you employ. Burnett and others were routinely out of position in relation to the OLBs to assure containment... There were so many mental mistakes and occurrences of our defense getting manhandled, that it's not fair to even put 50% of the blame on Capers.

They certainly need to practice against the read option more in practice. Hopefully a guy like Datone Jones can add the spark that the D-Line needs to play with passion. They just can't get beat by the guy across the line.

wink

No team bashing, just something the media is swirling around, and rightfully so. Just the angle of the camera, ya whatever.

Do these spandex make my belly and butt look big? No your big butt, and big belly make them look big smile

Good... switch him to fullback and get rid of Kuhn... He is hardly a fullback.

Lecy for power running/blocking and Franklin for speed and recieving hands for passes out of the backfield.

I could live with that combo...

Good Luck!

Ken

Kuhn isn't a fullback he is an h-back and is a pretty good receiver out of the backfield too which is nice to have when you have a guy under center who can take a tick off a dogs silly-me at 50 yards

"Overall

Kuhn is a versatile athlete who perfectly fits the Packers offensive scheme. He may not be as popular in other offenses, but Kuhn’s abilities and style of play are ideal in Green Bay."

Found this doing a search for the top NFL fullbacks. Green Bay list him at 6'-0"- 250 lbs. Right in line with NFL fullbacks.

And before Kuhn the pack had Corey hall a line backer from Boise state back there. Kuhn is an h back that is the skill set he brings to the pack he was used as a short yardage back because they had [PoorWordUsage] in the backfield. I would rather the ball be handed to a half back than to the full back on short yardage cause then you have no one cutting line backers down. Green Bay was their own monster for not going after backfield talent they righted that wrong in this draft.

Granted it was an intersquad scrimmage... but, this is what I was hoping the role he could fill.

from the Milwaukee Sentinel Journal this Morning:

Quote:
The hullabaloo over Eddie Lacy's weight will be quieted after his performance in the Green Bay Packers' scrimmage Saturday night.

The rookie running back impressed at Lambeau Field in his first professional live contact display, according to Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

"He (Lacy) went in there and proved he could run the ball effective," running back Alex Green said. "Even when he was a little bit winded he still ran hard and finished runs. Picked up the blitzes when he had to. I thought he did great."

Lacy had eight carries for 65 yards, including gashes of 7, 8, 16 and 19 yards.

Lacy followed starter James Starks in the running back rotation. Fellow rookie Johnathan Franklin came in third, Green fourth and rookie Angelo Pease rounded out the competition.

Lacy's power was on display during the scrimmage, and he looks primed for a lot of short-yardage and goal-line touches in his rookie season. Reports that he is improving in his pass protection (something all rookies struggle with out of the gate) also will help him see the field earlier and more often.

Now we just gotta get the "starter" tag removed from Starks!

Good Luck!

Ken

Reported this morning by both Foxsports and ESPN... gotta be waaaaay better than Graham Harrell for back-up

Quote:
Vince Young’s NFL career might not be over.

Young, who last played for the Eagles in 2011, was selected third overall in the 2006 draft by the Tennessee Titans. He was named Offensive Rookie of the Year but fell out of favor with the club and eventually left for Philadelphia, where he played for one season.

The Packers’ backup QB job is still up in the air. Graham Harrell and B.J. Coleman have split reps in training camp, giving Young some hope to potentially back up Aaron Rodgers

Good Luck!

Ken

I think Lacey will be a good 3rd down/ goal line back, he has some size to him, and is hard to take down. I dont think he is going to be a long yardage back though, because of his lack of speed, but I am sure he will have several 10 yard gains this season. Although slow, hard to take down backs, have a tendency to not have long careers in the NFL, seems the linebackers tend to give them a good beating to their knees.

Bad news - Bulaga torn ACL, done for the season. He's arguably their best OL, and for sure is their best OT. The OL is mediocre, especially after the Bulaga injury. It will be interesting to see if they move Newhouse back, or give Barclay or Bakhtiari a shot.

Lacy will be the power back the Pack has needed on short yardage, when they have the lead in the 4th quarter, and in Dec + Jan when the weather gets cold. Franklin looks good as a speed back, who isn't afraid to run between the tackles, dangerous when he gets in space.

On D, Datone Jones looks like a definite upgrade over anybody else they have had at R DE. CB Hyde will be a good slot corner, has similar ball skills that Hayward has. Perry looks more comfortable at OLB, he's strong and fast, just hope he can stay healthy.