• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First time bow hunter

alex1

Hey guys and gals, would love to get some input as to what bow I should get. I'm a first time bow hunter and need some input on a couple of bows I'm looking at.

Without spending a lot of money on my first bow I'm looking at a Parker Wildfire package, or a PSE Stinger package.

I would welcome some input from any or all of you as to either of these brands. I.E. pros and cons.

It won't be for a little while that I get one as I'm still recovering from shoulder surgery :(, but as looking forward to getting one so when I can pull it back I can get out and start shooting. cool

Well if you can save a bit yet I would hold out on all those and check out a Mathews, I have bow hunted and shot since I was 5 years old and have had most of them out there. In fact for some dumb reason I keep updateing A new Mathews now too. But it is worth the wait and the little extra to get a good one, I would ck out them first then Bow tec, or most important what fits. But if you can get a higher end one that fits get it. You willbe so happy you did.

I too am a Mathews fan but I do think there are other great bows out there now.

I'm not sure about the package you are looking at but I would recommend a used bow that fits you. If you now your draw length and can find a bow that fits you, I would try and find a slightly used top of the line bow.

Just my $.02 worth.

Whats with everybody and Mathews? LOL! Dont know why but i dont care for the bows just my preference i guess. I wouldnt worry at all about the brand name of the bow right now. It is true a high priced bow is more expensive for a reason but that doesnt mean a less expensive one wont work just fine. My first bow was a Parker Hunter Mag it was around $450 brand new set up and i loved it.I killed deer with it and could shoot just as good as anybody with a high end bow. If I were you i would go into your bow dealer and tell him your price range and just shoot as many bows as you can and see which one feels the most comfortable thats the most important thing. If your a younger guy i would look at a bow that has a wide adjustment for draw length if you plan on keeping this bow for a while otherwise you will grow out of it after a year or two. Any more questions we will be happy to help you out.

Thanks guys for your thoughts, and your ideas. I'm not a younger guy as I will be turning the big 40 this next week. I just have always wanted to try bowhunting after expeirncing deer within arms reach while out turkey hunting. I've gun hunted deer before, but want to try bow hunting, and the solitude of being the woods ealier and longer.

My wife made the mistake of saying that "IF" I got better after my shoulder surgery, that she would give the go ahead to get a bow. grin Well little did she know that it wasn't a matter of if, as when. The doc said I should be good to go in 3-5 months as long as my phys. therapy keeps going as it has. cool I do have a bow shop within 25 miles of me that does have used bows that they recondition before they sell them, so I will take a look at a used higher end bow if they have any.

I usually suggest to people new to the sport to get something cheap or used with their first bow. Get use to shooting and hunting for a year or two and see how much you like/love it and how much time you have to get out there.

Then once you have some experience you will have a much better idea of what you need when you are ready to upgrade. I also suggest shooting a lot of different bows when you start out to get a feel for everything.

I agree with bear. The best advice is to tget the best bow you can afford that fits you well. If you're new to archery than you should spend some time at a bow shop and let them measure you for draw length and let you get an idea of the products that are out there.

You've got some time till you can draw a bow so spend some time looking around. You'll probably want to stay in the 50lb range until you've built your strength back up. You'll want to find the one that feels best, no matter what name is on the riser.

Joe, I don't know if I can say the name of the shop as they are not a sponsor but I can tell you that they are located in Parkers Prairie. They don't have a web site if you were wondering.

Joe, I don't know if I can say the name of the shop as they are not a sponsor

You can use commercial names, just can't post any contact info, phone#, web site, etc.

Mathews Hoyt Bowtech PSE Missions...Might as well post which brand is better Ford Chevy Dodge. Everyone has there own preference. Don't be brand specific when looking at a bow. Kinda like women don't keep your eyes on just one try them all out might be shocked with your results. LOL JK!!!!! But to be honest I would shoot them all. I have a bad shoulder and I shot PSE Hoyt Boytech Missions Diamond Mathews. I settled with a mathews. Shoot them all and each will be different

What I would do is start out with by finding a used bow, then upgrade to a new one if you like the sport, like the others said. I am a younger guy and I started out with a 15 year old bow. It could still kill a deer but I never did get a good shot at one. I got a new one two years ago and love it. You will understand how great this sport can be though when you hit the stand your first time with bow in hand, whole different ball game then with a gun. Its great.

I started 5 years ago with a $250 brand new PSE Nova, cheapest one they make! I'm still using it today and shot a nice doe this past year with it. Dont get too caught up in the "numbers" of bows (feet per second,etc.). My cheapy has plenty of power for a clean pass through and shoots just fine.

You can't learn to love a bow it dosen't matter who made it you have to be able to shoot it. I like to just have them put a rest on the bow and shoot it with no sights if I can shoot it good like this then with sight it's even better it's like my trap gun it fits me and hits where i am looking I don't need the beads on the gun it shoots were I am looking.

Ranger,

thanks for the info, the bow I'm looking at will be shooting 285-290 fps., depending on how heavy an arrow I go with, pulling 63 pounds. The bow shop in Parkers that I'm dealing with includes 6 aluminum arrows or 3 carbons. I'm leaning towards the carbons for the simple fact that I've good things about the carbons compared to the aluminum.

i work with a guy who has couple bad sholders and shot a bowtech, not sure or which one, and went to a forge, because he said its much easier to draw. i shoot a forge safari and love the thing. im not much of a high end name kinda guy, and when i heard about these bows i figured i might as well check em out.

its now mathiews, but i dont care it kills deer. they are a great shooting bow and the prices are right. if i remember right they are made in new berlin wisconson. the guys in parkers told me they dont recommend forge because they've had nothing but problems with em. ive never had a problem, nor has anyone i know with these bows.