• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

where to find 2 lb crappies

matthothand

Personally, depending on how old you are, I would start by opening up your old photo albums and start looking for the pictures of the fishing trips you used to take. smile That seems to be the only place I can seem to find them anymore. frown

Is it just me or were the fish a lot bigger back in the day? frown

Or were our hands simply smaller? smile

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or were the fish a lot bigger back in the day? frown

Or were our hands simply smaller? smile

I was just wondering this the other day when I was looking back at some pictures of crappies I caught from my parent's cabin up north 30 yrs or so ago. They looked huge grin

why keep the 2 pounders.. the smaller ones taste better... the bigger ones are just fun to catch.. throw the big ones back.. let them grow bigger.. and who knows..If your the only one out there fishing that spot.. they might be wall quality when you catch them again..

Vermillion, Rainy, LOW would be my places to try. Also some nice crappie lakes in Canada that nobody fishing for crappies in. Theres a couple VERY good walleye lakes within 2 hours of the bouder that have dandy crappies as well.

As suggested, get a body of water you know crappies are in and go hit it hard. Put in the work and it will pay off.

Nobody is going to give away a hot spot for true 2# crappies.

I heard an interesting talk about warmwater fish species pushing their range into coldwater fish habitats given recent uptrends in air and water temperatures. In a nutshell, this in part explains the huge growth and expansion of smallmouth bass and rock bass populations in the arrowhead region of the state and into Canada. Crappies have been documented in Canada in places they had never been seen before. While crappies will never be a dominant specie in these water, they have potential to grow large and old, and with little fishing pressure, you might be able to bag a true giant 2 pound crappie. Think outside of the box and you can exploit a new opportunity that might pay big dividends.

I went to the Minnesota Zoo today and I know for a fact they have some 2lb crappies. They are on The Minnesota Trail. They also have some nice sunfish, northern, walleye, sturgeon and gar.

Trust me all I wanted to do was drop a line in the tank. smile

maple lake in alexandria has alot of em.

annie battle does as well. though i have not caught many. they are pretty hard to find in that lake since you cant use electronics, trolling motors and all that

Why can't you use electonics? If I went out icefishing or in a canoe I can't take a depth finder/flash with? I've never heard of that

I was wondering the same thing........I can understand the gas motor but trolling motor or electronics what do they hurt???? but in the same thought was kinda cool to have a lake that isn't affected by the change in modren technology....sort of a "lake of the past"

Cuz the DNR put that in the rules...there are acutally a dozen or so lakes like this one, located all over the state and just not in the B-Dubs either. I think the rules are put in there to keep those lakes in there actual natural state, and not be bombared by today's modern technology and the fishing pressures that come with it. Plus with the concept of actually working (paddling/rowing, portaging, scouting) for the fish, and the satisfaction of finding and catching the fish with out a crutch so to speak is what some guys like. I honestly wish they had more lakes like annie battle and such just for the fact as you see what little pressure they do recieve because you do have to actually work for the fish, and with the little pressure means more and bigger fish..its just commen sense. Also the limit regs do help as well otherwise the non-motorized restrictions wouldn't be as effective.