• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Would like Advise... Climbing Tree Stands...

I have a ground blind.. and a few strap on stands.. but would really like to get a climbing stand...

I want to use it for bowhunting... and be able to use it for getting to some hard to get to places... SO a large one is not all that important. I would like it to be easy to use, confortable, somewhat lightweight, but MOST OF ALL... safe!

Do any of you have expieriece with climbers at all? I stood in Gander MTN last night for about 40 mins and just looked at them, I have searched different archery sites for opinions and done goole searches as well... I seem to be leaning twards the Summit Viper X4...

~HELP~

Thanks all!

I have the Rivers Edge, Gator Jaws climber, you can get them at Fleet Farm for $70-80. They aren't probably as quiet to setup as some, but they're easy to use & very safe. I was very happy with my first one, the one year I used it before it was stolen. I shot a 1 1/2 year-old doe out of it at 6 yards. I now have a new one, just haven't had the right situation to use it yet. (4 other portables, plus 20+ permanents) Climbers are the cats meow in popple trees.

I love climbing stand and I personally feel they are safer than hang on stands. But that is just my opinion. Anyway, my best advise is to go to a store where you can actually try one out. Be absolutely sure that the seat portion of the stand is large enough to accomodate you with heavy layers of clothes on. If the seat portion is too narrow, it will stick to you if you stand up and it just gets very uncomfortable over long periods of time. Most climbers are very light and many come in a backpack form so that you can haul them for miles if needed. Good luck!

I just have one of those little bow saws, they cost $5-10 & will cut pretty much anything. I'm on my 2nd blade in the 8-9 years I've owned it & have used it a ton. You can either drop it to the ground the first time you use that tree or hang it from a branch out of the way. They're very light. On popples a lot of the time you can break all the branches off if you need to. It's not much trouble working a climber over the knob of a limb that's not cut flush.

Most of the time once I pick a tree for the climber I tend to either leave it there for a while or come back to that tree, so future trips won't require trimming. If you want to go very high, you still may need a pole pruner to trim other trees nearby to open up for shooting. The nice thing about a climber is it's totally safe to go up 20-25' or more as long as the tree's big enough to support that.

I was also thinking about buying a climber and I noticed that Summit makes a couple models that fold flat. They also cost about $30 more. Is there a noticable difference when you have a flat stand on your back versus the standard models. I hunt Ripley and on a few public hunting areas where I have to hike in a ways, so pack weight and comfort are important for the haul. But I am also concerned about possible creaking sounds coming out of the hinged portion of those flat folding stands when I am staring down at a nice buck.
If any of you have a flat folding climbing stand I would appreciate your opinion.
Thanks

Nels

i have used an api grand slam bowhunter climber model for 2 yrs. now and it utilizes a chain to go around the tree,which for someone of my size [6-3-260] makes me feel much safer than cables or plastic belts. weight is still just over 20 lbs. my friend bought a lone wolf climber[because it was 2lbs. lighter than mine] that had a plastic belt with cogs-the cogs stripped and he would have died from the fall,if he hadn't been wearing his harness. by all means-don't buy it because it looks "cool" buy from an established company that doesn't cut corners. api's stands are overbuilt. you will feel much more confident when you climb and stand up-move around. my point is, i trust my stand,because i know there is no way on earth my weight will break that roller chain. my peace of mind is worth carrying an extra 2-3 lbs. i want to see my family when the hunt is over. thanks.

Exudedude- I just bought Lone Wolfs alpha hang on stand. A little spendy, but very light weight (10 lbs). It comes with 2 straps to get it attached to the tree that you will be using. I put one strap on the tree first and climb back up and put the stand on the strap. The strap has a hook on it that goes right into the back of the stand. Take the second strap, wrap it around the tree and you are secure.
Easy and light weight.

I debated about a climber vs. hang on and came to the conclusion that I would have to do quite a bit of trimming for a climber. Being in the woods, I tend to find that big oaks or maples are on the edge of the woods that I hunt out of and limbs are relatively low to the ground. You'd be sawing all day on that.

BUT again, some guys are using em' and like em' as stated above. Tough call.

My Lone Wolf has straps that go right on my back (backpack style).

Sweet little stand!

I have a Summit (forget the model - new last year) and I love it. I feel they are very safe also, plus I always wear the safety harness while using it. I don't always wear a harness on a non-climber even though I should. I carry a folding saw and cut the branches as I go up. I have yet to find very many trees that are perfect right off the bat. My stand weighs out at around 23 lbs. and is as quiet as I am using it. There is a little noise but if you're careful on the metal noise you will be fine. The seat design on the Summit is good. It is a hanging type seat and is way more comfortable than a padded seat IMO. I can sit for hours and not get a sore butt. I would invest in one if I were you. I am glad I did. It can be a hassle finding trees that work but up north where I hunt alot I am getting quite a few trees that are trimmed up in the areas I hunt so as the years go by I can just go to many different trees and just climb up without trimming. The Summit's are a bit more expesive than some others but I have not regretted spending the $225. Good luck on your purchase.

I've been using climbing stands since I started deer hunting 10 years ago or so. First one was made by Baker I believe. Heavy metal frame with a plywood 'floor' essentially. That stand still scares me. I had that stand slide down the tree about a foot and a half one time with me sitting in it. Yikes. Anyway, climbing stands have come a long way.

Are you going to be shooting a gun or a bow from the stand?? Some have shooting rails and other parts of the stand that seam to get in the way if you are bowhunting. But the shooting rail is awefully nice while rifle hunting.

I also think the stands that fold flat have an advantage while carrying them out to your stand location through the woods. Climbing stands are bigger and bulkier than hang on stands. I always seem to get the stand hung up on tree branches, saplings, etc. etc.

Just a couple more things to think about.

Personally, I've had my eye on the Summit Bullet Backpacker for awhile now. Folds flat, stand up/sit down climbing style, just looks like a nice, comfy stand.

I looked at my stand last night and it is the Summit Bullet Backpacker. It folds up flat which is pretty nice. I will admit that you have to be carefull un-folding it to make sure you don't have a metal to metal clank but if you're carefull you can keep it mostly quiet. I have found that, due to the overall size of the stand with the cables and all, you will make some noise going thru the woods if it's a little brushy. There are pros and cons but for me the pros far outweigh the cons.

I have 3 strap on stands and one climber. I never use it climbing I use climbing sticks and then hang it like the others. I actually like it better, it's easier to hang and I don't get all sweaty (as much I should say) getting it in place. I think I'll stick with the climbers for now on for that reason. I end up leaving them up so climbing up and down isn't for me. By the way, a little reminder. I took a strap on stand down on Sunday that had been up for two years...the tree grew and it was almost impossible to get it out. I had taken the steps out but the stand was so tight I almost cut the strap to get it out. Just a reminder for those stupid like me.

I hear you leechlake, you especially shouldn't leave a portable over even one year if it's in a popple tree. They grow too fast. I had a tiny old pastic tree stand that my father-in-law gave me, that he was going to throw out. The seat broke while I was sitting in it. I didn't fall, but I was sure glad I had the safety strap on anyway.

I left that in a popple for one year. I had to cut the strap & then remove the bolts to get the chain off. I was just going to pitch it anyway, but didn't want to leave it for someone else to get hurt in.