• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muskie fisherman and their boats

JRedig

Nitros are primarily a bass series boat, they don't mix well with rough water.

While I would love to have some of the boats you guys are running we currently use a 17' Tracker Targa ( my buddies) works ok, but it lacks fit & finish of most boats and the cost is lower for a reason, underpowered as well. It is nice to fish out of and handles rough water well. I run an old Alumacraft 175 Trophy (1983) I made casting platforms for it and whil it catches fish when we are forced to use it its not the best option. Partner #2 runs a 16.5' Alumacraft tiller, for solo trips its nice but for 2 guys its a pain.

My next boat will be glass either Tuffy, Ranger or Skeeter, bank account and loan avalibility will play a big role in what one I get when the time comes. One thing I know is it will be at least 19' and I spend 99% of my time currently on water under 6000 acres.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

currently I fish out of a 1660 tyee, and a 1660 pro-v. The tyee is a nice boat but dosent have the casting deck that the pro v does. Tyee handles bigger water and is dryer with the full windshield, Pro-v is nicer for landing and control being shallower. I am looking to get into a Ranger 690vs or 619/620dvs in a couple years, depending on $$.

Right now I fish out of a Lund. Serves it purpose and then some for me, however, my next boat (in a few years) WILL be glass. With that being said, it will either be a Tuffy or a Ranger. Have fished/rode in both and very well put together boats. Price range is pretty comparable for the models and don't think you can go wrong with either! I know of a really nice Tuffy for sale,so shoot me an email if you would like to know more about it.

I am suprised nobody has mentioned the Warrior, I know they are known for Walleye's but, my buddy ordered his 1898 Eagle form the factory, then went to the factory work with the designers and changed a couple things on his boat, little bit bigger decks a 54" livewell, and longer rod lockers. We had fished some brutal days on the pond with no problem, and it's easy enough to get on the mississippi at hidden falls as well as dumping it in flake for a morning out.

If I had the money to pony up for a new ride that would be the one, without a doubt.

RU

Thanks for the new replies, good input. My budget this go around is about $15k, so it'll be a used machine (why i said new-to-me in the first post), gotta start somewhere. There are sure a lot of 2000-2004 era rangers out there for that price range, i'll probably end up with one. Keep the feedback coming everyone!

Bret, where do you suggest I email you for that tuffy? wink I don't think I have your email...

I fish out of Ranger bass boats..

Pros...Rangers have a lot of little extras that make your life easier when it comes to loading/unloading, the interior set up,they are fast, have a great ride, lots of storage, great resale value compared to other bass boats

Negatives...gets kinda crowded with dual consoles and big nets and 8 ft rods, 3-4 foot waves can you get wet albeit safe

I love them, and don't see myself ever buying a boat that is not a Ranger

Look at the rangers and then the competition. Look at all the little details. No other brand has the quality from top to bottom imo. The trailers to the compartment latches are top notch. Resale is by far the best of brands because they are made to last. Do your research on the outboard in the years your looking for. Big outboards = expensive problems.

I agree on the detail in a ranger they are sweet and look good to

thing that i kinda wonder bout was the bactrollin capbilities

of them the back seems to be taper down so much i dont get the reason for that

i talked to guy that has one he said he was backin trollin

on some big water and the t-8 was under water half the time

[quote=

If I do get a glass boat in the next few years it will brobably be a 20' Center console bay boat. Talk about dry and huge casting decks, it's a muskie fishermans dream. quote)

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned a bay boat. I have a 20 champion center console and although it's a multi purpose boat for me, it does the muskie thing pretty well. I've fished out of a buddys ranger dual console, and while it's a very nice boat, it can't hold a candle to mine for working a big fish around the boat, landing fish anywhere along either side, etc..and i love the deck/floor...no carpet, just hose er' out! I looked for it for a couple years, paid 14,000 for it, 2002/150 yamaha.

Quote:
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned a bay boat.

yeah i can't believe i didn't consider it till now either, i missed that post somehow. i've fished out of a dual 250 wellcraft several times down in florida with a friend of one of my bothers. it's pretty big though, maybe 30 feetish? awsome ride and your right about landing/playing fish. but yeah that's something i'll look into for sure when i get serious about changing up. i'm sure a 22 or 24 would handle just about anything i want to do. if nothing else i can just use my motor on a dead shell, who knows. sure would be cheaper right off the bat. thanks traveler wink

this would be a situation where the internet would be helpfull, lol. i searched a little and a 2001 Ranger 20C hull and trailer, no motor 6800.00. it's a center counsel bay boat, saltwater. it's rated for a 225. i got my 135 merc. and last summer i was talking to Hoss at Hoss performance and he was telling me in my year motor (not only that year)the 135 is a 150. he said a bunch of stuff, sounded like French or something to me. anyway he gave me a round about price to juice my motor up to a 175 horse real easy. i didn't ask if he could go higher, but maybe? either way at 175 that should be cool i would think. so, $6800.00 (barter 6K) for the hull and trailer a couple G's more in transfer and juicing and i'd be set. hmmmm. thanks traveler. maybe not this year but maybe, lol.

I do have to throw in the downside to the CC....they are a cold ride. I haven't run her much in the fall, but even on a cool spring/summer morning....You just can't "hunker down" like you can behind a dual console/full windshield boat. It does what I want it to, but it might not be for everyone. BTW, I did find it on the net, and went down to the cities to get it. Theres a SeaHunt dealer in Walker, they make a nice 22 ft'er that I had my eye on, but it was a little too rich for my blood. I even toyed around with the idea of driving out to VA/NC and buying one out there.

Quote:
You just can't "hunker down" like you can behind a dual console/full windshield boat. It does what I want it to, but it might not be for everyone. BTW, I did find it on the net, and went down to the cities to get it. Theres a SeaHunt

yeah there would be that. but a full canopy might do the trick. yup, coastal/gulf states was where i was looking. then figured a boat takes less of a beating probably on the gulf. so i concentrated there. more boats there than we will ever have, lol. and more means less money. kind of like buying a car out of chicago vs. here. anyway it's an option for you too jredig. saltwater motors going for less than 3G's on a 250. whole boats, nice ones, for 10K-15K. just a thought.

My only hesitation with buying a used boat that had been used in saltwater was what effect saltwater use has on a boat. I didn't know much about it, and never got serious enough about traveling to get it sorted out.

Quote:
My only hesitation with buying a used boat that had been used in saltwater was what effect saltwater use has on a boat.

yeah, i made a few calls. Hoss is gone but his ex-partner told me a two year old down there is like ten here and basicly they said the same at extreme marine. saltwater ready is what i thought it was with stainless hardware not aluminum but i guess most problems are wiring and aluminum fuel tanks. lower units are basicly unrepairable with the bolts not even removable. horrifying i guess, lol. so unless i figure on changing every last bit of wire in a boat i should treat it as buyer beware. i'm not giving up hope though. prices are 1/3 to 1/2 what they go for here. so maybe, who knows. confused

B1; be vigilent on the online used boat sites; maybe the MPLS paper, etc...and you'll likely find one around here. I did look at a couple before I found mine, so they are around. It took me close to 2 years, but I'm very pleased with the boat I found and the price I paid.