• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Illega or just unethical?

walleyeslayr

I purchased, from a dealer, a used 2005 sled in late November for $4500. I recently started having some electrical problems. I brought it to a dealer other than the one I purchased it from for service. The "new" dealer was familiar with this particular sled. He said it had been submerged last year.

This sled was the second one I had purchased from the original dealer in two years. I also told him I might purchase another sled this year for my wife.

My question is should this dealer have told me the sled had been submerged?(He knew about the sled) Or am I just SOL and dealing with an unethical person?

I haven't approached him yet. I'm waiting to see about the repair. I intend to approach him to take it back and give me $4500 toward the purchase of another snowmobile.

Any advice??????????????????????????????

It's unethical, not illegal. If the dealer will make things right for you, then great. If not, then I'd have to say you're SOL.

When buying used, it's obviously buyer beware.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune though.

There are a few HUGE snowmobile websites, where if the dealer doesnt care to make it right with you, you could really get the word out about his business. Its been my experience that nothing gets things right again faster than the power of the internet.

Should he have told you about the sled? If the shoe were on the other foot, would you have disclosed this info.? I would hope the answer is "yes". Personally, I don't see anything wrong with someone selling a submerged sled, but I do have a BIG problem with them selling it and not disclosing this information. I have to assume he bought it at a big discount, and if he was trustworthy, he would have sold it at a decent discount (disclosing the info. of course) while still making a profit. It's no different than selling a car with a salvage title - people buy them all the time at a discount, hoping that the money they saved is worth the risk. Personally, I would see if he would make the situation "right" and if he did, I still wouldn't give him any additional business. If he didn't, I would see to it that everybody and their brother knew about it.

You say the dealer that sold you the sled knew it was sunk, however how reliable is this information? Perhaps the dealer took the sled in on trade from someone who never told him? Not trying to come to his defense if what you say is true, but second hand info sometimes isn't always reliable.

If the sled was sunk, the dealer definatley knew about it. If he makes it right with you, then hes doing the right thing. He probably got the sled for real cheap, went over it real quick and figured it would be fine enough not to tell anyone.

I did some more detective work over the weekend. The original dealer definitely knew the sled was submerged. I spoke with him today and he denied any knowledge. He did say he would give me $3800 on trade for a NEW sled.

I guess I can eat the $700 for being STUPID.(Geez, I'm an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly!) I always buy new, but I thought I could trust the guy after spending thousands with him in the past.

I think he is trying to save face by taking it back and doing the best he can. No more used machines for this guy!

Thanks for the posts and advice.

remind him how much you spent there

and that bad news travel much faster than good

and ask him if its worth 700$$$ he will lose more than that

i dont think you should think of urself as an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly i bought a used sled pretty much over the phone glanced at it driving by

i think sometimes we just wanna trust people

i kinda got snowed where i bought my boat 38k lots of disappointment

Three words: Better Buisness Bureau. Between them and the Attourney general things like this tend to work out. If all of the dealers you have spoken to about this machine knew it was sunk and it was sold without that being disclosed, you may have something to stand on. If it was sold "as is" you may be hoased.

Mention the BBB and things tend to get made right fast.

I believe if a car or truck goes in the water they have to disclose it by law! Maybe not Rec, vehicles? But like they say in business. Make one customer happy, smile you may make another! Make one unhappy frown you may lose 10! I would have pushed back harder on this guy! mad Things are tight for a lot of people and businesses this year, he may have worked harder if he know he would lose 10 customers!

Probably too late to offer advice because it sounds like you were taking care of this a few weeks ago but I would not eat any of the money. Talk to the owner of the business not the sales rep or manager and explain the whole situation. I bet he'll make it right with you and give you your entire money back toward the purchase of another sled.

Business owners know the consequences of not doing the right thing.

Be respectfully demanding of what you want and if he doesn't agree to return 100%, go public via the www and print forums.