• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Would You Take The Shot?

Wild Willie

OKAY HERE'S HOW IT PLAYED OUT THAT BEAUTIFUL AFTERNOON: Like I mentioned at the start of the thread the majestic eight pointer made it all the way down the trail to within 18 yards of my ground blind position. Post rut, but, he was completely oblivious to my position, as every environmental condition you could imagine was in my favor. I'm at full draw, contemplating whether or not to take the full frontal chest shot. Suddenly, but calmly, his nose drops and he makes a soft 90 degree turn to his left. Unfortunately he immediately puts a bush between us and now I have no shot and continue to hold for the proverbial perfect broadsider. In just one nano second I recognize his intentions to continue forward down into a shallow ditch directly in front him. I needed him to freeze immediately, or all hope would be lost. I shissssssshed him (for lack of a better term). He stopped dead in his tracks, but then launches into one of those classic complete and immediate 180 degree about face manuvers. The stare down begins. Seemed like an eternity. Probably only 15 -to- 30 seconds. Nose high. Then low. Then high and moving in a circular motion. So calm out that afternoon I was able to watch the steam from his exhale. Then nose down and he turns to his right (looking back from where he originally came) and then more to his right and then in an instant, with a swift and powerful leap, down the ditch to safety! To patrol, manage and grace his kingdom for one more day!

I'm pretty confident I could have hit the mark, but I'm glad I didn't take the shot, no regrets! I'm sure he is too!

you knew you would make it and you didn't take it and your glad about it. odds are in minnesota that will be the last majestic 8 pointer you'll have a shot at, considering the makeup of our deer herd, we'll see how glad you are in 30 years. i see how you got your name cause that is wild!

I had a buddy take that shot on a pope and young deer and lost that deer because of no blood trail. I have taken that shot twice with a gun and dropped both deer where they stood but I was only 20yds from 1 and 10 yds from the other. its not a shot I would take with a bow though.

you knew you would make it and you didn't take it and your glad about it.

He knew he would hit where he was aiming on that opportunity. However, the shot opportunity was so poor that hitting where he was aiming would most likely result in a mortally wounded deer that was not recovered. He SHOULD be glad about it- he made the right choice in a situation where some would be foolishly tempted to taking the shot.

Admittedly I have lost 2 deer with bow. And both were shots that most would call "gimmes".

No idea what happened in either case.

But with that said, I am even more overly picky on my shots now.

So as mentioned above about people saying no here, and in reality taking that shot; I would NOT take that shot.

No way, no how. I am not just saying it because I am at the keyboard.

Change the scenario.

If it was a doe. Would you take the shot?

Why is it that when antlers are on the head, that the rules of good hunting ethics get thrown out the window?

Too often, antlers up top, make a lot of people take shots that otherwise wouldnt be taken. I dont get the mentality of that.

the first time that I ever bowhunted I was thirteen in my stand about 10 min here comes a doe walking straight at me so being young and very excited I didnt wait and took the head on shot I watched my arrow sink into her almost all the way to the fletching. I thought sweeeet!!! my dad isnt going to believe I shot one that fast went up to the he house and got him to help me look. first thing he asked was it a good shot? Oh yeah great shot. we waited an hour maybe two then went looking after looking for blood for awhile my dad says were did you hit her. so I told him he just walked away didnt say a word I kept looking half hour later he shows back up with a can of pop and flashlite handed me both and said find it. I looked and looked I gave up at about eleven that nite came into the house told him I couldnt find it. No reply that always makes you feel good. Next morning he had me up at dawn sent me outlooking again every time I would give up and walk back up to the house he would just send me back out thank god it was sunday so I got to stop looking at dark so I could get up for school in the am. after that all he sais was think before you shoot. Lesson learned

I can honestly say I would pass up that shot, I try to be as patient as possible and I would wait for a higher percentage shot. Its impossible to know what that deer might do next, why risk a questionable shot when you could be two steps away from a slam dunk double lunger. You could also be 2 seconds away from being busted too but that is the game we play and part of the reason its so much fun.

Interesting question!!!

About 10-15 years ago I was bowhunting out of a stand, not a very high stand, about 8 foot high. I had a small buck enter the wood lot, circle around, and walk right at me. At 20 yards I pulled my bow back, he kept coming until he was about 8 feet away, stopped and looked up at me. I thought 'the gig is up' and let the arrow fly. Hit him right below the white throat patch, the arrow came out the bottom of his chest by an 'armpit', he ran off about 40 yards and keeled over. When I did the autopsy, I had grazed part of the heart.

Would I take that shot again?? Not at 18 yards like the original question because even at 18 yards your shot can vary 3-4 inches, and not from a ground stand because of no exit wound, but if I was presented the shot at 8 feet, from a low stand, I'd probably do it again. I think its a better shot than a 25 yard broadside walking deer shot, when you're trying to gauge how fast the deer is walking. Now thats a shot I won't take again because of losing a couple of gut shot deer.

Interesting topic - I read an article in a popular hunting magazine on frontal bow shots on elk from the ground and in a nutshell they were very open about advocating such shots. Deer and elk being similar in vitals but with a bull being much bigger you would be led to believe it would a great shot on deer.

I shot a doe years ago from the ground straight on and while the blood was marginal it was a short recovery.

Not 100% sure what I'd do in that situation again - what if there was fresh snow on the ground?

I'll admit I've shot deer that were broadside and hit either the near or far shoulder blade and had squat for blood and never recovered the animal. Bowhunting certainly can be a game of inches. Lots of things can go wrong in bowhunting.

In this situation, I think confinence in being able to find the animal is crucial. That might be snow, a reliable tracking dog, etc. Tough topic, good stuff to discuss!

I shot a doe at 25 yards last season right in the chest. She bleed great and went 40 yards and went down. Also had a friend do the same thing with a 9 pointer this season. That deer went 60 yard and died. We both shoot 72 and 75 pounds with fairly heavy arrows with muzzys. Both arrows went to vanes.

If your just out to kill a deer regardless of recovery, just throw a hand grenade. If your are a sportsman, concerned about the the conservation of our natural reasorces, wait for a high percentage kill shot! The thrill is in the hunt and usage of retrieved kill. Not just in the killing.

I shot a doe at 25 yards last season right in the chest. She bleed great and went 40 yards and went down. Also had a friend do the same thing with a 9 pointer this season. That deer went 60 yard and died. We both shoot 72 and 75 pounds with fairly heavy arrows with muzzys. Both arrows went to vanes.

Yes you can kill them with the chest shot but it is a very low percentage shot. Way too many deer are wounded and die in swamps due to shots like this. Personally, I will wait for a good broadside shot.