• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what size fish house would be better a 14' or a 16' wheel house

wheelerboy920

Hi Johnny,

I would say it depends on what your planning on putting in it and the layout. Keep in mind the weight, although im not sure if 2 feet will make that much of a differance. Also factor in your hole position. It will prolly just be you and your dad fishing... maybe one more.

Just my opinion, see you on the ice.

Depends on your fishing style. If you cook in the house or ever play a game of cards go for the bigger one. If your always a 2 man run and gun team then maybe the small one. My self I would want the big one and have a sled type portable too.

When I bought my wheelhouse I had to decide if I was going to go 16' or 14' and if I was going to go 6.5 or 8' wide etc. I ended up with a 8 x 16 w/ 3' "V" front. Like others have said, you can never have enough room! I love having all the room. The bigger house does however suck more gas and pulls harder on those long trips to Upper Red!

Several good points but a few words of caution on bigger is better. You need 12 to 14 inches of ice for bigger is better fish houses. This either keeps you off the ice longer or forces you into a portable longer... Also a good point if you "Lake hop" or travel long distances those big houses can kill your pocket book and are hard on the rig. I have an 8 X 16 ice castle with a V front. I got frustrated waiting for thicker Ice and pulling long distances for the weekend so I built a "Scout House" 6.5 X 12. Perfect for what i call hard water trolling. In the front i have a bunk with a dinette. I snuck 6 holes in it. I also hinged a cook top stove in it. The Big house stays up North for the LONG weekend trips and I run all over with the "Scout House". A 6.5 X 14 V house seems to be a compromise..Hope this Helps.

I've got a 6.5x12 wheelhouse and it's fine. I wish it was bigger when I bring the dog with. If we leave, we set up her kennel which takes up 1/4th of the fish house, or so it seems. My ideal wheelhouse would be an 8x16 or 8x14 w/a 3' v nose.

Go big or go home. (right?) I haven't yet invested in an icecastle, but 2 of my friends have. One has a 6.5x16 w/v, and the other 8x16 w/v. Both friends pull them with 1/2 ton pickups (in tow/haul mode). For the little added weight and cost of heating/towing go with a single axle 8x16. It seems to be a happy medium for fishing at home by yourself, or a 4 day trip to LOTW with 3 guys. Good luck and keep them lines tight!

I have a 8x18 icecastle with the v front I went big because I have two ids that go with all the time and mine set up with air cond so I use it as a camper in the summer. If you are pulling a 14, 16, 18, or 20 footer around you are still going to eat just as much gas. Dont have your foot in the gas. I pull mine with a Nissan Titan and bet around 12-14 mpg unless a bad head wind.

Wheerboy,

One thing I can tell you from first hand use is that a 8 foot wide V front pulls better than a flat, but a 6.5 foot V front pulls in my opinion about 35% percent easier than the 8 foot V. I use to have a 8 foot V and now use a 6.5 foot V and if you go with the 6.5, go with the 16 foot long beceause the extra space in length is nice for these 6.5 wides.

Im gonna have to say if you can afford the 16 footer go for that one. We first built a 14 and it was nice but just didnt have the storage and space that we wanted. We were fishing 3 guys out of it regularly thought. We definatly upped our standards this year and built an 18 foot v front with a 2 foot bump out in the back, and a 2 foot lofted roof in the back for extra head room on the top bunk. So my opinion if you want something for relaxing and having fun do the larger, if you really want to hit the ice early and fish hard maybe a 12 or 14 would suit u.

for those of you guys with a 8x16 plus 3 for a V front how many of you are running a Single Axle? and how many are running a Double/tandem Axle??

how many of you guys run a AC in the summer or use your fish house as a Camper

and I will be Buying a frame for my next fish house and wondering which is the best??

My house is an 8x20 with the V-Front, tandem axles with brakes, I also have an AC unit for summer use. It pulls just fine with My 1/2 ton Chevy with brake controller. Biggest thing is keep the weight balanced. I also don't speed for both safety and law enforcment reasons. I prefer to stay at 65 MPH down the interstae but it will handle fine at 70. Fully loaded with 2 ATV's and gear we get 9-11 MPG.

i got a 6 foot wide and 12 long i am trading it in this next year for a biger on i was thinking about 7.5 wide and 16 long but i dont want to go to big becouse i want to pull it up north with out giveing my life saveings to the the gas station

Make sure you get one with nice matresses. The beds in mine are 24" wide. Not super comfortable after a few nights in there.

Also, one of the biggest things for me is storage. Once you get all your bags, food, tackle boxes, etc. It can get kinda cluttered. Overhead storage or cupboards are crucial.