• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Panfish Photo Gallery

Scott M

The crappies are only know spawning in the lakes in my area...along with the large mouth ,bluegills and sunnies....late for sure!.....here's a few pics of some fish from a couple days ago from my canoe.....all released!...

blackcrappie.jpg

caught this pumpkinseed on a fly....

Pumpkinseed2.jpg

a "black" crappie...the name is certainly fitting....

blackcrappie7.jpg

pumpkinseed on a betts popper.....

pp.jpg

The crappies are only know spawning in the lakes in my area...along with the large mouth ,bluegills and sunnies....late for sure!.....here's a few pics of some fish from a couple days ago from my canoe.....all released!...

blackcrappie.jpg

caught this pumpkinseed on a fly....

Pumpkinseed2.jpg

a "black" crappie...the name is certainly fitting....

blackcrappie7.jpg

pumpkinseed on a betts popper.....

pp.jpg

they are just starting to bed here too!

gotta love those betts poppers wink

i was out with the fly rod yesterday, and i caught so many crappies my wrist is completely out of wack!

Thanks guys!.....I've been into nature photography for a few years and have a few different cameras I've accumulated but the one I used for these images is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18...love the 18x zoom for those faraway shots and can take closeups(macros) tp 1/8" away from the lens.....decent clarity and colors also....8.1 megs.......I think I paid about $240.00 or so for it a couple years ago...not a "high end" camera by no means as it has one "fixed" lens so I don't have to be carrying and switching lenses all the time...I have other cameras also that take images just as good but this one is the "latest" in my arsenal....If the weather permits I'll be out again this next few days(4 days vacation) on a small favorite lake that produces some "bull" bluegills(my favorite of course grin)....Use the flyrod again with an array of those "Betts Poppers"....hopefully get a few decent images of that encounter!...rain expected the next 2 days cry.......

Here's a pic of one of the bruisers from last spring !...they should be in the shallows again this week...released of course

Frame_P1030261-1.JPG

Nice fish Jake!....Not everyone can catch crappies on a fly....you certainly have it down!.....sometimes they hit poppers(my favorite) .....I just wait for a "mirror smooth evening" when the lakes like glass.....watch the lake for tell tale signs of surface feeding crappie....crappies surface feed and leave telltale rings on the calm waters but not like the "slurping" bluegills do...and the crappies tend to "pod" in schools in the much deeper waters near the center of the smaller lakes....I paddle over quietly to these "rings" and present my popper and "bingo" the fight starts! grin.....crappies on a flyrod....doesn't get any better!....well...maybe bull bluegills! grin

No "B" in this lake!......Not a secret at all actually...the first batch of pics with the crappies and pumpkinseed was on Oxhide Lake near Pengilly...a good lake but certainly not my best grin.....now that last pic with the big gill'.....that's a "special" lake grin......

No "B" in this lake!......Not a secret at all actually...the first batch of pics with the crappies and pumpkinseed was on Oxhide Lake near Pengilly...a good lake but certainly not my best grin.....now that last pic with the big gill'.....that's a "special" lake grin......

Huh, I didn't know there was really any pannies in Oxhide worth catching. I've fished it in the winter and got nothing but taterchip sunnies and crappies. Were you in the small bay by 169 or the main lake?

The crappies were on the beds in both lakes.....I caught the crappie and the sunny (pumpkinseed) on the first lake near the highway.....right by the old beaverhouse to the east....saw smaller crappies also and sunnies on the beds....fished Oxhide for 35 years and never really got any "huge" pannies .....it was better for crappies years ago.....as usual......just nice to be able to see the fish since the water is sooo clear....also saw a few northerns darting around.....just a nice little lake....

It is pretty. There's a couple of decent pike in there, and I hear a muskie or two. I use to spear the golf course creek all the time and about 15 years ago someone spearing up in front of us accidently stuck a muskie about 2lbs. I thought about turning him in but he felt terrible about it, said he just saw movement and threw....oops.

Funny about the musky thing!.....When I was there last Sunday near the channel near the boat landing,a couple guys in a bass boat were kinda woopin it up and I was wondering what was going on as they had just landed a fish so when I got closer to them(canoe) ,they had just caught a small musky about 2 pounds.....maybe there's something going on in Oxhide! grin....the musky had "bars" not "spots" as in some.....apparently they're multiplying in there....wonder if the Mn DNR knows about it?.... interesting!

Huh! I heard someone, whether it was the dnr or private party I don't know, stocked it several (15+) years ago, but I haven't heard of anything else since. I know of a couple of people that have tried for muskies out there, but haven't gotten anything.

i wish i remembered the state record for green sunfish!!! this is a 1lb 6oz on the fly on annie battle!

10 1/2" long. didnt think anything of it until i got home

101_0935-1.jpg

101_0933.jpg

more pannies from there

this was the first panfish of the day. 9 1/2" green sunfish, 13oz if i remember right.

101_0927.jpg

9"

101_0932.jpg

9 1/2"

101_0930.jpg

101_0931.jpg

i waded downstream for a while, caught a few small hammer handles that i seen up shallow, tossed the jig to them just for fun.

when i got back, my mom reportedly caught a HUGE sunny, which she said had 3" shoulders