• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Some Deer, an Eagle, and Abby

Having the day off today, I took advantage of the crisp afternoon and went for a drive to an island which is on the waterfront here in Thunder Bay. The island is quite big and it is home to several industrial sites. But there are acres and acres of undeveloped land as well. The Deer population has exploded there and since it's within the city limits, there is no hunting allowed. Although these are wild Deer, they are very used to people and you can get quite close to them. I was within 10 feet of a few of them today. Here's what I got.

These two bucks were sparring, something that I've never seen before.

mm2.jpg

Turns out they were just having a little fun and were probably best friends.

mm10.jpg

Some of the older bucks are a little camera shy and head for the woods when approached.

mm8.jpg

But the young Deer are very curious, and probably looking for a handout as well.

mm4.jpg

mm7.jpg

mm5.jpg

I was lucky enough to come across a rare sight today as well. A Golden Eagle flew by but was out of camera range. I attempted to follow the bird around on the few roads that are on the island and was lucky enough to find it in a tree right beside the road. Goldens are absolutely huge. I'm guessing that they are about 30% larger than a full grown Bald Eagle. Anyways, I got a shot of it in a tree and a shot when it flew.

mm6.jpg

mm11.jpg

And of course I took Abby for a ride today. She had fun watching all the Deer from inside the truck. I took her down a dead end road and let her out for a run. She had a blast. Don't ask me about the tongue. I haven't a clue. That's just Abby.

mm3-1.jpg

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Thanks for all of the wonderful comments.

I've been looking closely at my Eagle photos and I'm not sure now if in fact that it is a Golden Eagle or a juvenile Bald Eagle. I think I'm leaning more towards a juvenile Bald. They can be difficult to distinguish from one another.

Happy New Year everyone!!!!

Thanks for the clarification Steve. I knew that with all of the expert birders here, that I'd get a clarification fairly quickly. I'm impressed that you even know it's age! Now I know where to go if I have any bird ID questions.

Brooky, the best birding guide, the one I use the most, is the Sibley Guide to Birds. I have the larger edition that covers all of North America. It's got by far the biggest number of illustrations of the various plumages of adult and juvie birds.