• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnow Bucket

Professional Edge

I have a 2.5 or 3 gallon pail. Same size as a normal 5 gallon just shorter. It has a screw on lid. I just loosen the lid when I get to the spot. Works good and tucks down lower than a full size pail. Kept shiners alive all thanksgiving weekend with a couple water changes. I left the lid on tight all night one night as well.... only 1 casualty out of maybe 5 or 6 dozen over the night. (pike were really hitting)! smile

I have the fraibli bucket and the frabil cooler. The cooler worrks great. I have lost some water, but it seals up pretty tight. The bucket works ok after the holes ice up in it.

I really like them because I can keep shiners alive in the summer or winter and they provide protection against freezing too.

When ice fishing, I use one of two Frabill products:

The Kool Keeper Bucket (8 qt.capacity)

Or the Fish-N-Fun Bucket (4.5 qt. capacity)

I usually take the smaller of the two, as it will hold plenty-o-minnows for a day of fishing. With the cold temps, and the slowed metabolism of the minnows, they don't need much water. Still, it's not good to overcrowd too much.

To keep the water from splooshing throught the air exchange holes I cover the top with a small plastic grocery bag. Before I snap on the lid, I lay the plastic bag so it covers the top of the bucket, after that I simply snap on the plastic lid. The plastic bag will last all day (and more), and because it is thin, there is no difficulty snapping down the lid with the plastic laying under it. If you have some fish at the end of the day, you can use the plasic bag to store your catch. Or, if you're a miser like me (pennywise & poundfoolish), you can use the plastic to transport the minnows back to your truck; back to your house, and back into the coldest corner of the garage, where you will keep them alive as long as is humanly possible, so that you don't have to dole out a whopping 5 bucks for bait for the next 4 weeks or so grin .

I have a 5 gallon pail with a Gamma Seal lid. I put a small platic minnow bucket inside the pail and screw the lid on. Works great!!

The worst that can happen is if some water spashes up to to the gamma seal and freezes - then a few hits to the lid with a fist will free it up. Usually the lid doesn't freeze shut so you're good to go when you get to your spot.

I use a small coleman cooler (white body, red lid and handle that locks when folded all the way around. I usually buy bait in a bag with air, drive to my lake and transfer before going out so I can use the bag for garbage on the lake. See, I guess I do care about my carbon footprint afterall!

I'll use a small lunch cooler or a water cooler witch ever is closest at the time. And Zamboni that water is tasty, put a litle under the arm pits and your good to go. Whats great is when you get home after a long day and ya wanna nap no one bothers ya laugh