• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Anti's are out there.

ghotierman

We've heard rumblings from time to time about anti hunting groups. They seem to be fringe groups, loosely organized. But we really shouldn't dismiss any threat to our hunting heritage. This letter to the editor of my local paper is distressing. Not because I think this organization is a force to be reckonned with, but because some of the facts he points to are reasonably alarming. He claims hunting is fading away, it is on the decline, so join his group and help finish it off. We shouldn't give groups like this much attention, but we should consider the argument, and be sure we are doing what we can to maintain our hunting rights and heritage. Take a kid hunting. Take a kid fishing. Take your neighbor. Grow the sport.

Here's the alarming letter:

http://www.echopress.com/articles/index.cfm?id=59181&section=Opinion

This guy is stuid! What percent of ammo do you realy think is bought buy criminals? Heck they are criminals they probably steel it! That throws that theroy out the window. I agrre thought that we all need to do our part to keep hunting and fishing going. Just a side note I was out in the woods this morning and I can not believe the trash in the WMA I visited this morning including spent shotgun shells!

Perhaps the paper published this letter because they knew the reaction it might generate. Given the rural location of this publication, they must know there will probably be some pretty good responses that can be printed in response.

I think canceling a subscription might be premature at this point.

Speaking for myself, I am glad they printed it. I was unaware of this organization, but now they are on my radar screen like PETA and others.

C.A.S.H. Mission Statement

The mission of C.A.S.H. - Committee to Abolish Sport Hunting - is to accomplish what its name says in the shortest possible time.

Understanding that abolishing hunting entails a process, a series of steps taken and not a single action that would effect our goal overnight, a time frame cannot be established. We hope for building a succession of wins, and if not wins immediately then at least a succession of stirrings of consciousness. We hope to encourage those who are still silent to speak out, awakening community after community about the heavy hand of state and federal wildlife management agencies. We hope to alter whatever belief still exists that sport hunters are conservationists and champions of the environment to a realization that they are destroyers of wildlife and ecosystems in the narrow and broad sense. Where the natural feeling for wildlife doesn't exist, we strive to engender among citizens outrage that their own rights are violated by legal hunting and that their quality-of-life diminished.

Luke A. Dommer was the founder of the Committee to Abolish Sport Hunting. He was its president from 1976 until his passing in August 1992. Mr. Dommer's research and publications served as the foundation for the anti-hunting movement. He remains, through this organization, an invaluable and dedicated warrior in the battle to save wild animals, the environment, and general public from the silent economy that encourages and preys on the passion of a few to kill the wildlife that belongs to all.

Quote:
the state DNR derives funding from the collection of excise taxes that are affixed to the cost of firearms and ammunition

The state gets funding from taxes on almost everything, so why point out guns and ammunition??? This claim has about the same logic as me saying that the state increases its funding off toilet paper sales when you go to the bathroom.

...why point out guns and ammunition??? This claim has about the same logic as me saying that the state increases its funding off toilet paper...

FYI, their is an additional tax we all pay when buying new guns and ammunition. The monies from that additional tax are to go to DNR stuff.

Isn't t.p. a necessity, thus not taxed at all?

Lets just take the article for what it is.....a bunch of ^%$, Just trying to raise an eyebrow to the ones that are sitting on the fence that do not already like or dislike hunting or shooting sports. Leave it go at that.

I will say there is 1 true statement, With the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service reporting the number of hunters in Minnesota and nationwide have been on a steady decline, it is likely that the end of sport hunting as we know it could take place within the next few generations.

My question is why?

Is it because the metro areas are getting larger and we are losing land with the ability to hunt on?

Are we just the last generation(s) that like to hunt and fish?

Is it because the price of stuff is getting financially out of control, guns, bows, ammunition?

More single parents with less recreation time, have to work more to compensate lost income?

More people working for companies instead of being self-employed?

Maybe if we really see what the root cause is, we can all help more.

I think the younger generation has a hard time getting outdoors now a days if they are involved in anything else.

Case in point. I was a three sport athlete in High School. Typically when I was growing up, hockey season would "start" right around the deer gun opener. My dad and I always had time to deer hunt since the hockey season was just getting started.

Now my son plays hockey at the Mite level and last year we started skating in Sept!!! Skating was pretty much every weekend. I don't think kids get a chance to enjoy the outdoors until the get out of High School.

I think its also harder to find places to hunt. When I was younger, we had plenty of land, at least 6 different farms to hunt on. Now with land lease and farms sold, I'm down to 2. I hunt some state land, but its getting harder and harder to find solitude, even if I walk for miles.

Excellent points to ponder! That is at the heart of the issue with this letter, I think. Did you know that the state of minnesota even had (still has?) a hunter recruitment coordinator? The governor appointed a position to work on recruitment within the sport. This fellow worked hard to find some answers to the 'why' question, and helped push the Archer in the Schools program here in MN.

This 'anti' organization has been around awhile. We can't afford to brush them off as 'morons or idiots'. We should respond by ensuring the legacy of sport hunting. Take a friend hunting. take a kid hunting. Share our stories and adventures.

what kinda dang one-who-thinks-I-am-silly printed that article in a newspaper in the first place. I suppose those freaks will want vehicles to be abolished as well when there are too many deer being killed on the roads because no one is allowed to hunt them. Does anyone recall reading or hearing of our early ancestors tending the lettuce in the garden to have a vegetarian meal. Nope, even the kids were trying to build themselves a better bow to HUNT dinner with!

I think archerystud makes a very good point here. Now kids are busier at a much earlier age, especially those in sports or extra cirricular activities. My nephew hasn't been able to take his firearms safety class because it's always scheduled at the same time as sports. I think we are pushing children a little too much at times.

This past weekend our PF chapter held it's 3rd annual Youth Hunt. We had 28 kids come and enjoy the day.

Get involved with a habitat organization.

Introduce a kid to the outdoors.

Support legislation and politicians that support your beliefs.

Or sit there and do nothing and your grandchildren won't have a choice.