• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

    You know what we all love...

    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Hammer Handle

Skeeters and Poison Ivy have no effect on me

Recommended Posts

Any idea why that is? I have never gotten poison ivy or a mosquito bite.

This last weekend, I was trimming some trees in sandals and shorts and standing in poison ivy. No worries....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poison Ivy has never had much effect on me. It tingles then nothing.

I wish we all had the immunity to mosquito's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I notice mosquitos leave me alone once the blood alcohol content rises. Are you a "perma pickle"? Or possibly some sort of blood disorder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i didnt ever used to get poison ivy, then i've started getting it now. but rarely. I've heard a lot of times you can be "immune" to PI, but that it'll change as you get older

I well up somethin fierce to skeeter bites though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I notice mosquitos leave me alone once the blood alcohol content rises. Are you a "perma pickle"? Or possibly some sort of blood disorder?

Now theres a good repelent!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also immune to the skeeter bites and to the PI.

The reaction to those irritants is very similar to an allergic reaction. Some people are respond to it, others don't and the people who do respond get varying degrees of inflammation.

Think bee stings, everybody gets one sometime, some people have no reaction, some people have anaphylaxia and die and most people are in the middle.

Most allergic reactions intensify the more times you're exposed to it, which is why some people develop reactions later in life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I WAS immune to PI. So much so that if the old boss would locate jobs with ivy in them, he would just send me out. He himself was so reactive to the stuff it seemed if he was within eyesight of the stuff he would get a rash.

That was a few years ago. This spring I was doing some tree planting amongst a virtual field of the ivy. Thinking I was still immune to PI, I did not take any precautionary steps. My first PI rash ensued. I now hate Poison Ivy! Plans are being drawn-up for pay-back on the field of ivy. mad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never had a problem with PI but the skeeters are a whole different ball of wax. You guys aren't vampires, are you? wink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I am in the same boat on the mosquuitos and PI don't bother me - Mosq.'s still bite and that is annoying but no itching occures aftarwards - I have heard the same thing as Powerstroke said

"Most allergic reactions intensify the more times you're exposed to it, which is why some people develop reactions later in life."

gnats, noseems, horse flys, deer flys, black flies, spiders .... They are a different story!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I to am one of the lucky ones. Poison Ivy doesn't bother me, never had it. As for mosquitos. We don't have them down here(Mo).Really nice to sit out in the evening, if it ain't UnGodly hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last weekend I slept in a lawn chair all night one night...in shorts. I just had my head covered to avoid the "humming" or the skeeters.

No bites!

And yes, alcohol was a factor....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Powerstroke is right. PI affects you worse the more you are exposed to it. I even read the studies on it, and history of it. Pioneers used to think eating little bits of PI would make them more immune, but it actually would make them worse.

I didn't start to get affected by PI until two years ago, and I am just getting over a real annoying case/rash of it now - both legs, wrists, neck, back... I slept on same sheets the next night that I slept on the first after cutting trees in PI. Drat, it was horrible.

If you know you entered it or got exposed, I highly recommend Cortaid Scrub as soon as you can. Once you get the blisters, you are scr3wed.

Skeeter go after people who put out more CO2, as some people do. They also go for darker colored clothing, as they are actually looking for large mammals more so than just "people".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ya, there's a small percentage of the population that's immune to poison ivy...... thankfully, i am in that as well..... same with skeets..... but like folks have mentioned, you can all of a sudden lose that immunity..... so still be on the lookout for it......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a case of the ivy back in the xx's. When it hit, you could watch the blisters run up my arms. I wore long sleeved flannel for a month and went through several tubes of anti-itch before it went away.

My brother's buddy trolled up a nasty stringer of ivy in his southern bay and I"m pretty sure he was/is never the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get poison ivy whenever I even get close to it. I finally found a doctor about 8 years ago that had something that would get rid of it, diprolene. When we go to camp ripley for training I bring carb cleaner,, dries it up in no time flat.. could cause cancer but ,,,, I cant stand welling up in oozing blisters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • big dave 2 and leech, darn good lookin meals!!!!  Dave have a good weekend!!!!
    • Ok Dave have a good weekend. Hope you get over the whole butt hurt Leech deal! Not sure where you got that I don't like folks smoking or grilling things?  I know I do enough. Have fun! 🙂  
    • Heavy rains across northwestern Wisconsin last weekend and early this week have flooded some roads and caused washouts on some highways, roads, state parks, forests and trails. According to the National Weather Service the area has received 7 to 12 inches of rain from Friday through Monday.Several park system property or portions of properties are closed due flooding. Amnicon Falls State Park, closed temporarily but has reopened, though some roads, trails and observation areas remain closed. Pattison State Park is open for camping only; all trails, observation areas, picnic and day-use areas are closed. There are washouts on the dam that forms Interfalls Lake and Highway 35 over the dam is closed. A campground and horse trail are closed at Governor Knowles State Forest and the day use areas along the river at Interstate Park are underwater.Water was roaring over Little Manitou Falls at Pattison State Park.Photo credit: Gervase ThompsonAll rivers in the region are running extremely high. The falls at both Amnicon and Pattison are roaring, but road closures mean observing the falls now is challenging. The Bois Brule and Flambeau rivers are high enough that some canoe launches and campsites are underwater. The water is making its way downstream and the Lower Wisconsin River is running very high with all sandbars submerged and canoeing and kayaking not recommended. The river is expected to crest Muscoda this weekend at 40,000 cubic feet per second. .
    • I'm still going to smoke this fatty while camping this weekend whether Leech likes it or not.....😋       See you fellers on Monday........
    • Rick didn't like all the "My Grills bigger and better then yours" posts!  😅
    • We switched to a new server. Had a glitch in our dB that lost a couple days of posts.
    • I ripped a hole in one of my favorite pairs of fishing shorts just need a decent sized patch to cover her up
    • I am not sure what happened either but we lost all of the posts last couple days not just this thread. And it looks like the same thing happened over on FM site as well. I know the site was down last night while I tried look at it.
    • We had no problems but only brought 10 extra gallons over.  We fished 5 days, pretty much running wherever we wanted and ended with 7 gallons remaining in the boat.  So, we burned 30 gallons of fuel in a 1785 Lund with 90 hp Mercury 4 stroke.   I thought that was pretty good!
    • Seems to me that we are missing an entire page from this thread that was here yesterday.... what gives?