• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carrier

hanson

There's plenty of reality TV loving folks here.

This is my new favorite show...

"Carrier" on Prairie Public Television (Channel 2)

Forget the political [PoorWordUsage] with this topic, what these guys (kids) do for a "job" is unbelievable!

Watch it! Tonight's episode had fighter jet pilots circling around and around the Carrier Nimitz doing night landings. Nobody could hit the deck of the carrier and they had 3 fuel planes up for support in case the fighters couldn't catch a cable on the deck.

Watch it! ;\)

very interesting show. Gives a better idea of life on a ship day after day instead of a Navy comercial.

Didnt realize it was going to be all shown in this week so I missed a few episodes.

I was flipping through the channels last night and "landed" cool.gif on that show also. I just caught the part where all the other pilots were watching their buddies try to land. It was pretty funny. "He's not gonna do it, he's not gonna do it, SLAM!, Yeahhhhhh!"

I've never heard of this show. Sounds fairly interesting. I've seen planes doing night flight and it's quite the rush to see, even if it was from about a mile away.

Now if they had a show called "Boilertenders on Guided Missle Destroyers" I'd be all over it. grin.gif

I think that they had something like 17 missed attempts before someone finally landed. The part that I thought was kinda freaky is when the jets would bounce over all 3 cable and then have to take off and try again. This one is a for sure Tivo show just because we have a birthday party tonight.

It's on PBS/ channel 2. I've been watching it from the beginning and it's actually a pretty neat show. It shows the life on the ship and how all 5,000 people on it work together to help it flow smoothly. It's really interesting. I was watching the credits and I think Mel Gibson has a part in it too either as an exec. producer or something else.

Originally Posted By: jimalm
I think that they had something like 17 missed attempts before someone finally landed.

Must have been rookies. Seriously. Of all the night ops I've seen, even in bad weather, it never took that long to trap a bird.

That or they were Air Force pilots. grin.gif Calm down guys, that was a joke.

When I was in the Navy I was friends with a flight decker. He had seen a guy get sucked into a jet engine once. Working on a flight deck of a Navy carrier is truly the worlds most dangerous job.

Wasn't as exciting as I hoped it would be but it was very interesting. I missed most of the episodes on TV but PBS has the episodes online.

A guy I used to snowmobile with and his brother were in the navy. The brother was on a carrier and was blown off the deck twice by jet blast. The first time he landed in the net along the flight deck. The second time he took a long fall into the water. After regaining his composure he pulled his shark repellant but that washed away in less than a minute. He said it wasn't too bad at first since he could see the ship when he crested the waves, but he felt quite alone when he crested the next wave and couldn't see the ship. It wasn't too much longer and he could hear the chopper coming to get him. If I remember right that was his last day working the deck.

When you go in the water you have to get a series of shots to protect you from diseases that can be found in the water. When my ship was in Japan a guy fell in and had to get like 10 shots. Number of shots depends on how clean the water is.

I know a fellow from our area who served on a different carrier for 2 years. He said all the stories about when they hit a port of call are defintely true!!

DD

Originally Posted By: Double D
I know a fellow from our area who served on a different carrier for 2 years. He said all the stories about when they hit a port of call are defintely true!!

DD

Were they? I don't remember- too many Asahis in Japan, Victoria Bitters in Australia, San Miguels in the Phillipines- you get the picture whistle.gif