• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swans of the Shagawa

Hey all:

Pukey weather or not, it was time to get out and give the new equipment a workout today.

These images are from the Shagawa River, as the title suggests, and were shot in the middle of the rain and sleet we'd been getting since late this morning.

I'd been pondering a trip to Monticello to pull in some images of wild swans, because I'd been unable to get images I really liked, but after sitting in the water/muck for three hours along the river and being all packed up and ready to go, I heard a pair of tundra swans hooting on their way in and, sure enough, they landed about 100 yards upriver from the narrow shooting corridor I'd whacked through the cattails.

They saw me right away as they landed because I was standing and ready to walk out, but I recovered myself with full camo and waited, and they eventually moved my way. But they would not swim into the open, and so I just started walking into the water, knowing they saw me anyway, and walked in until I was about mid thigh (wearing knee-high boots, of course) and extended the monopod through the water so its base was resting on the bottom of the river. The swans were wary but not all that shy, and I was able to get a bunch of nice full frame and nearly full frame images over the 15 minutes that the sleet was bouncing off my face and the water was leaking in over my boots.

Sigh. It was worth it. grin.gifgrin.gif

All with the Canon 30D, Canon 400mm f5.6L, manual settings at iso400, 1/640 at f5.6, monopod.

The headshake (note droplets with bird on right)

2441344477_cbf1a8ec14_o.jpg

Sounding the alarm

2441344827_24706a45f5_o.jpg

Lots to say

2441344093_71cce11769_o.jpg

Bookends

2442174418_94b8201cc5_o.jpg

Fluffed - male hooded merganser

2442175190_3a8a59ecf8_o.jpg

Scaup by the pair

2441346553_810bd0a178_o.jpg

Goody woody pair

2442176274_79670a02c1_o.jpg

Good job getting out and taking some pics! I (of course) like the nice low eye level you have going here! I'll put in a request to mother nature for some nicer weather with no wind so we can get some nice glass.

They can go in either one, LT. Bird watching isn't necessarily about avian photography (though that can be part of it) and photo sharing encompasses all types of photos, so bird shots can go in one or the other.

I do like to see photos of birds where there are ID questions posted in the bird watching board instead of this one, but we're not too worried about it.