• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's a good 12 volt trolling motor battery?

FL SNIPER

I'm in the market for a 12 volt battery for a 50 pound thrust bow mount trolling motor. I know with batteries you get what you pay for usually so I'm willing to pay a little more if it means added value. Just wondering what are some brands or types you guys like and have had good luck with? Optima batteries? Interstate? One more thing...because of space issues I'd like to get a battery that's only around 10 to 11" wide if possible. Thanks guys!!! FL SNIPER

Cabela's agm work well, little bit less expensive then the optima

same concept. I would recomend an onboard charger as well. Best investment I made about 4 years ago. It has paid for itself in saving me from lugging around batteries every night. I just keep a 100' extension cord in the truck.

New to the trolling motor battery business myself, I probibly took the cheap route. Went to Wally World and got the Eveready. Has never failed me in my vehicles, so I figured I give it a try.

The other question you should have asked was whats with all the different models, Trolling, Starting, ETC.? They had 3-4 different ones to chose from. Do they/are they that specific for use? I'm only running the trolling motor on it, so I went with the trolling only one,($55). Ask yourself what your using it for?

Google 'deep cycle battery" and you'll get several websites that have some very good information about the differences in battery types, charging and maintenance. The articles get a bit technical but you can learn a lot and maybe save a lot by checking this out. After reading this material it seems that most folks are not doing things correctly, particularly in the charging process.

cabela's AGM battery! Non freezable, Non spillable, and above all it charges just like a normal lead acid. Optimas require you to charge at a lower rate than a typical deep cycle lead acid. If you don't have an adjustable charger, you'll melt the cells of an Optima in no time. Then you have a $300 anchor and you look very stupid

Originally Posted By: Surface Tension

PS: Tom not sure what your talking about.

I'm guessing he's referring to this thread not being moved to the Boats & Motors forum as some other recent topics have?

Originally Posted By: jwhjr
 Originally Posted By: Surface Tension

PS: Tom not sure what your talking about.

I'm guessing he's referring to this thread not being moved to the Boats & Motors forum as some other recent topics have?

Done, are you happy now ???

\:\)

I just bought a Trojan from GM last night. We will see, got a 27 series starting/deep cycle. Nice thing is I got a discount as GM is no longer carrying Trojan. It's a definite YMMV but might want to check your local GM.