• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bullheads are Catchable - Get the bait tank setup!

SteveD

Recently I tried fishing a local spot for the first time and was using crawlers, just to see what was there. On that first afternoon-evening, I ran into 50+ sunfish and a handful of bullhead(I could even see the bullhead schooling). However, 4 or so subsequent trips to the same location, still using crawlers, have resulted in just more sunfish, no bullhead.

A thing to note is that the sunfish haven't been as active on those subsequent evenings as they were on the first.

If I wanted to find these bullhead again, should I expand where I'm fishing? Should I try some more heavily scented bait of some kind, and stick around in the same location for a while letting the scent spread, trying to call them to me? Has the weather just caused bad fishing on those other nights, and I just need to hope for a better fishing day?

I really thought after that first night I had things figured out pretty well, but I guess not. I'm going to use up the last of the crawlers I have later this evening, and while I'm out getting more tomorrow I'll pick up some cheese dogs at the grocery store and try those.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion it is not the bait. I would stick with crawlers - that is always my bullhead go to bait. If you wanted to switch to a different bait I would recommend small crappie minnows. Most of the bullheads I am catching are just full of minnows right now. I'm not sure I would switch to Cheese Dogs!! If you do use them let us know how you did. I'm open to trying anything that seems successful and if you have luck with Cheese Dogs I'll give it a try myself.

You know the bullheads are there and you know that they can be caught on crawlers. A lot of times the sunnies are beating the bullheads to the bait. I've had similar situations to what you are experiencing and it is the sunnies that are the problem. BUT - I have also had days where I couldn't find the bullheads either. Sometimes it is like any other fishing and they are just shut down and not biting at all.

First thing I would recommend is experiment with changing the depth of your bobber and move it deeper almost on the bottom if possible. One of the places I fish for bullheads you can only seem to catch them right on the bottom. We fish a plain hook with a small split shot about 4" to 5" above the hook and cast it out and let is set right on the bottom. Trouble with this approach is that you gut hook a lot of bullies.

If you keep getting sunfish then like you said I would expand where you are fishing. The sunfish may have just pushed the bullheads off that location. When I am searching for bullheads I fish an area fast. Cast out my jig and bobber and let it set a few seconds and if nothing then reposition moving down the shoreline until I find fish.

Good Luck. Let us know if your luck changes.

Ok so I have a question about using bullheads for bait? Are you guys using them alive and whole for flathead catfish. or can you use them for cut bait for channel cats? I only go fishing for channels and I normally use livers or dead suckers. but I've been catching alot of bullheads lately and if they work for cut bait I'll never have to buy bait again. thanks for the info.

Up here in the Red we get into the stone cats pretty fierce sometimes. They're sorta like a bullhed. Anyway, instead of digging out the hook, I just chop 'em up as soon as I get them, re-hook and let 'er fly. You'd be surprised what a channel will eat in the spring. They don't normally get bit as good as goldeye, but in a pinch they will work.

Posted By Dtro:

Quote:
That turned out really nice Shack. The mobility will be an added bonus.

You are going to need a long handled small mesh net to get them out of there. They will want to stick to the bottom, especially as soon as a net is placed in.

Hey Dtro,

I did get my self a nice net for my bait tank grin

y25mdj7Vcq3ykoQv1G9K9gwjBWU9ZKUd0300.jpg

LFC, the water level is not all the way to the top. The opening of the net is 9" and it is almost as long as the tank. It actually works very well. I will admit, I was a little skeppy at first, but after using it now it works just fine.

I am not bobbing for bullies or nothing grin

I have not had good luck fishing bullheads this year. I need to find a better spot I guess! I have the tank ready, just cant get anything to put in it!

I have to opposite issue, the bullies are running pretty well, I just have not had time to do a full blown out run for them yet.

All right larry grin, I put my net to the test.

This is pushing on bottom. I do wish I had another foot or so.

WH4lfF8J0RKnyruSVIPf+fj394PtBNqN0300.jpg

A good scope of bullies.

jtzET6oRH0HUg4unTm9YQBqHpA8x6LMY0300.jpg

I put a craw fish in my tank. I figure he would eat any dead matter that came from the bullies. He has some nice little coves to hind in at the bottom, we will see how long he last's. He has been in the tank over a week now with some bullies and is still liv'in.

I got over 2 dozen roll'in right now and will get more this weekend and push the tank up a notch or two grin.

I've been keeping a close eye on my bait and noticed an obviously sluggishness in them.

I had a test kit for my aquarium, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Nitrates were very low, close to 0ppm

However, the Ammonia level was skyrocketing, probably greater than 5ppm.

I'm sure it has to do with such a large number of fish in a small area, and having a couple die off.

I did a 50% change right away and will monitor it closely.

The only way I can see keeping this under control is doing water changes frequently.

Water changes are probably the way to go. You can buy freeze dried nitrfying bacteria at a pet store but they should have a medium to live on, like some rocks or filter pads. Not to mention that changing your biomass as happens when bait is added and subtracted from the tank will probably wreck any sort of balance you achieve in the nitrogen cycle.

However, the Ammonia level was skyrocketing, probably greater than 5ppm.

I'm sure it has to do with such a large number of fish in a small area, and having a couple die off.

Idid a 50% change right away and will monitor it closely.

The only way I can see keeping this under control is doing water changes frequently.

I know that some might disagree and will argue this. But when I do water changes I do a complete 100% change over. You have to make sure to use some sort of chlorine neutralizer, added when your doing a change to eliminate the chlorine.

I think in the long run its better to keep the ammonia way down than to try to keep the good bacteria.

However don't clean your filters at the same time as a water change.

Interesting info....

I wonder if that has to do with the loss of color in the bait over time?

Originally Posted By: SteveD
BullieTankIDA.jpg

Looks like I've got a weekend project. grin

My bait tank is fully up and running now with happy, happy bullheads. smile

I had to one up Steve on the tank and went a bit larger at 144 gallons, tank measures 2'x2'x6'.

One thing I'd like to mention is prices have gone up a bit from what Steve posted.

The Aquaclear 110 PowerFilter is being sold for $97.99 retail at Petsmart and Petco. I have found it online through various aquarium retailers for $65 or so. Also, Petco has an online sale right now on the 110 PowerFilter for $63.99 with free shipping. Thats as cheap as I've found the filter right now. After a couple days of that filter running in the tank, the difference is amazing. The water is clear and the bullheads are super lively. I've only got 50 bullheads in the tank right now but have room for another 238 exactly! wink

I think this is an awesome setup for a bait tank. I'm running the Power Filter along with 2 air pumps and (4) 6" airstones. There is great circulation and tons of oxygen.

Lively bullies = big catfish! wink

Alright I have a question for you bait tankers smirk , I am having a hard time keeping my bait alive more then 12 hours in my tank. I have city water, but I have left the water sit for a week before putting bait in it. Is there an additive I should be adding to my tank? I am getting tired of killing all my bait to see if they will live! Is there a water test kit to test for what is killing them? The water is cool, it is in a shaded area. Please help!

What kind of bait are you putting in your tank? I keep bullheads and they are tough to kill. I have city water and I treat my water after doing a water change to take out the chlorine and chloramines from the city water. I use a product called AmQuel+ - you add about an ounce for every 60 callons of water. You can buy it at Petco or Pet Smart.

Well I have killed off alot of creek chubs, suckers, and bullheads this year. I have also killed every fish in my fish aquarium. So I come to the conclusion its not me, it has to be the water. I have a big stock tank 6'x2'x2', killed them off in there, I have a big 100qt cooler that I have killed them off in there. Now I am only talking a few dozen with a good bubbler. I also have a 60 gallon fish aquarium that I have killed all the "pet" fish in! I have even added the additive to the aquarium. Its getting frustrating!