• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bullheads are Catchable - Get the bait tank setup!

SteveD

Baits for catching bullheads that work great for me. I use a slip bobber with a plain hook or an ice jig. Ive had mixed results with a regular jig. I have found ice jigs to work the best when using a jig with a bullhead.

Worms: Angle, Waxies, Maggots, Night crawlers...

worm.jpg

Pros: You can get some of these right out of your yard. The cycle of free bait continues... Can be kept alive for some time in your fridge.

Cons: Slimy, always leaves a mess when threading on the hook, and you waste a lot more time trying to cut up pieces and thread them on a hook.

Corn

2460505520e6a4ca486f49f33365a8a3-Canned_

Pros: for about $0.95 you can get an 8oz can that will last you a couple bait outings and you can purchase corn just about anywhere. No mess that you would get with threading worms on a hook.

Cons: It doesn't stay on the hook very well, and fish are more likely to rip it off the hook.

Crappie Nibblets

Berk-PBCCrappieN.jpg

Pros: They work amazing for bullheads IMO. They are very handy for me as I can leave them in my car at all times so I always have a bait to use if i go fishing! Price, one jar should last you all year

Cons: They tend to not stay on the hook for long. Basically after a cast or two they will come off. Soft like a marshmallow and hard to place on a hook with out wrecking them.

Gulp Maggots:

gulp-maggot-white.jpg

Pros: 1 maggot should get you a few bullheads before you need to replace the bait. Can keep them in my car so I am ready for any bait catching. Price, one jar should last you all year

Cons: The smell that stays on your fingers? that is all I can think of.

Typically for creek chubs I use a small certain colored ice jig. I usually use wax worms for those because they are rather small. I have ran out of wax worms while going for creek chubs and found I was able to narrow it down to a certain jig they would hit with out any bait. The next time I restocked my creek chubs I didn't bring any bait but the ice jig and was able to get a dozen large creek chubs.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic