• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bullheads are Catchable - Get the bait tank setup!

SteveD

The ice has been off my favorite bullhead pond for about a week and I put my traps out right away but was not having much luck. Yesterday's warm temps and last evening's thunderstorm must have done the trick on moving them shallow. Picked up 10 bullheads last night. I've got the bait tank set up and I'm starting to stock some bait. These are smaller bullheads (4" - 5") but I'm going to try smaller baits especially early in the year.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: fishinJohn
Lucky, in WI it is illegal to catch fish on one body or water and transport to another. I thought it was illegal in MN too, for spread of invasive species or VHS.

In Minnesota bullheads under 7" are considered minnows and as such they can be harvested and transported as minnows. Over 7" and they are considered rough fish and cannot be legally transported alive.

This from page 61 in the MN regs book:

Invasive Species Laws

It is unlawful to:

• transport aquatic plants, ruffe, round goby, zebra mussels, or other

prohibited invasive species on public roads;

• transport infested water (including in livewells and bait containers)

(pages 62-63);

• launch a watercraft with aquatic plants, zebra mussels, or prohibited

invasive species attached; and

• harvest bait (minnows, frogs, crayfish or other wild animals) from

infested waters (pages 62-63).

Exception: Harvest for personal use is permitted in waters infested SOLEY with

Eurasian watermilfoil. Harvested bait must ONLY be used in the water from which it

is harvested. Bait may only be harvested using a cylindrical minnow trap not exceeding

16 inches in diameter and 32 inches in length (pages 68-69).

Remove visible plants and animals

from your boat,

trailer, and other boating equipment before leaving the

water access.

Drain water from your boat, motor, livewell, and

bait containers before leaving

the water access. To keep

unused bait at spiny water flea- or zebra mussel-infested

waters, drain and replace with tap or spring water.

Dispose of unwanted bait in the trash. Never release

live bait.

Spray, rinse, or dry boats and recreational equipment

before transporting to another water body. Spray/rinse

with high pressure and/or hot tap water (above 120˚F) or

dry at least five days.

MN 4316 AD

Live

Well

Transom

Anchor Well

Rollers

Axle Lower Unit/

Propeller

Stop Aquatic Hitchikers!

Prohibited Invasive Species: bighead carp, Eurasian watermilfoil,

round goby, ruffe, zebra mussel, new zealand mud snail, and spiny

water flea. Additional species can be found at http://www.dnr.state.

mn.us/invasives or by calling the DNR information line.

Drain water

from bait

buckets.

Check these areas before leaving an access.

As of now, you can. I feel soon you might not in future.

I keep my bullies in a cooler during fishing. It sounds like if you use an "in water" minnow bucket and get your bait from an infested water/lake (milfoil only), you could be breaking the law. But thats all I could find on this.

I am sure this will be brought up again in the future.

I was working at Lake Como today on shore restoration and was basically swimming in dead bullheads... I figure since they had an aerator and all they wouldn't have winterkill, and even then I would think bullheads would survive. Some of the critters were still (barely) alive. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted By: goblueM
I was working at Lake Como today on shore restoration and was basically swimming in dead bullheads... I figure since they had an aerator and all they wouldn't have winterkill, and even then I would think bullheads would survive. Some of the critters were still (barely) alive. Any thoughts?

If they had an aerator in place there is probably still a ton of bullheads swimming around. It is a shallow lake and some portions of it would winter kill but the whole lake is probably not killed off.

I couldn't find Lake Como on the listing of Minnesota Infested Waters so now you know Lake Como has bullheads - I would target it. Look for spots that have storm water culverts or water runoff running into the lake. Those spots will draw in bullheads which are looking for a meal washed into the lake. Those culvert type spots usually create a sandbar near the washout - the bullheads will locate near the drop at the end of the sandbar or along any adjacent weedlines. It probably chokes out with weeds later in the summer which creates problems with harvesting bait. If you could figure out a way to get bullheads out of the weeds you would have a good bait lake.

Originally Posted By: TMF89
How long can you store bullheads for with an areator and a nice sized tank? What kind of "traps" do you have?

TMF89,

Bullies will last for many weeks. Change water, use a bubbler and show them some love.

I never feed them and they still last. They do get thin and pale though. I stored my bullies (from 10-20) in a 5 gallon bucket last year early in the season in my garage. Fro then I just went down and caughtthem on the way to the river.

I know some of the dudes on here get pretty cool with taking care of bait and I am sure some will chime in.

Taking care of "Bait" can almost be as addicting as catfishing. grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ec30_06
I know a lot of people do it but it is illegal to use bullheads from German and Jefferrson lakes on any body of water other than German or Jefferson. (milfoil in both lakes)

Ed,

This is where I get a headache. Now how it is worded to me is:

Quote:
Exception: Harvest for personal use is permitted in waters infested SOLEY with

Eurasian water milfoil. Harvested bait must ONLY be used in the water from which it

is harvested.

Now does this mean all harvested bait or harvested bait from a lake infested SOLEY by Eurasian water milfoil?

What I get from this (I could be wrong), is if you harvest bullies from a lake listed as "milfoil only infested", you can used the bait on other lakes, but can not put bait bucket in water. Kind of like, keep it in a cooler. Now, does the meaning of water in this sentence mean bait bucket water or a general slang term for lake?????

In this instance, if German and Jefferrson lakes are only classified as milfoil infested only, just do not use a bait bucket that goes in the water and you should (possibly) be fine. Unless there are some further regs that state do not transport from these two lakes.

I have this feeling about catching your own bait. I love doing it. I just started last spring to do this. I had never heard a peep (I) about transporting minnows being an issue until a week after I started to do this. I just feel it is going to be one of those “great things” that I will loose legal privilege of doing. Go figure crazy.gif

Flaco,

That what’s I was afraid of.

You wonder why they do not say "body of water", "Lakes, rivers or streams" or even "water(s)".

I know the reg book has a lot of stuff in it, but it is sure not nothing compared to a book like War and Peace.

It also says nothing about tributaries from these lakes or rivers. Are they involved? One of my new close to home hot spots is a stream form a lake. I will have to check into this lake to see if it is not on the list.

Nice tank, Darren. I've got mine up and running. I hope it doesn't get to far below freezing and freeze up my powerfilter. I've got about 120 bullies swimming in their new home. I had to do a water change today - that is a lot of bullies and they potty a lot. They are still full of small minnows.