• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bullheads are Catchable - Get the bait tank setup!

SteveD

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that around 30 bullies this time of year is nice to have with. I have learned while fishing on "good bite" trip with some of the guys on here, that a true flathead clicker run, followed by a legitimate "swing and a miss" will result in no bullhead being on the hook when the line is reeled up. I would say it also depends on how many guys you have with also as to the number of bullies you should bring with. 2-3 guys this time of year in the boat, like said, 30 is the number I have learned from the past to bring along. I guess it also depends on how many bullheads you can get and how mnay you can transport with out them dying.

Since my suckers are taking up real estate in my bait tank, if figure I would share how I am running my bullies right now:

3544360347_d961463316.jpg

3545169182_c6b046b5f2.jpg

Now that they have stopped puking up all that green stuff, I have been changing my water every 2-3 days (earlier if very dirty), and every day while tending to the suckers I swipe the little aquarium net to clean up out any junk that floats up. The nice thing about keeping bullies like this is you can divide the bullheads up into three different size categories (small, medium, and large). Make sure you put an air release pin hole in the lid also wink

Just an FYI for anyone who has bait tanks out in their garages or outside for that matter. I know down in Jordan and south you guys saw almost a 100deg or over today, but up this way (Princeton) we only got in the upper 70's. It sounds like tomorrow we could see 90's.

I have taken a great tip from here (either Dtro or LFC) and filled a couple of 20oz, a couple 2 liters, and one milk jug with cold water and placed them in the freezer last night. They are frozen solid now and I am going to throw one of 2 liters in my sucker tank in the morning and then some of the 20ozers in the bullhead buckets for good measure. Good luck to all who have lower gallon tanks on these first test very warm days. smile

Yes I do agree that the garage is not the best.

Since I finished my basement last year, it is not an option anymore. I have no utility room and my laundry is in the mud room frown. Only thing I can say is that it does not get that hot in my garage, especially this time of year and with this quick of a warm up. It is sealed up and insulated very well. Even if it stays in the 90's all day, I will get home this after noon and it will be no more than 70-75. The concrete slab acts as a cooler plus the trees around the garage help keep it cool also.

They made it threw last year, but I was not running suckers last year either eek I did a water change late last night and brought the water temps down to 54, then covered and wrapped the tank with a heavy blanket, and put in two 2 liters this morning.

I think we will be fine smile

Ryan, my garage is the same but I used a well insulated cooler with frozen ice packs. Worked like a charm. That usually lasts a couple days before I have to change water and add a new icepack. You can get these icepacks cheap at fleetFarm.

I went to a local bullie hole yesterday and caught a bunch. Right now I'm using them for cut bait for Channels in lakes nearby. I didn't feel like cutting them up on the spot so I brought a cooler and kept all the smaller ones I caught (have to be under 7 inches to transport alive, right?). I brought nine home and cut them up for bait. If I wanted to throw a trap out, how would I do so? Like where would be the best place to purchase a trap and what kind of bait would I put in the trap? Sorry, I have absolutely zero knowledge when it comes to trapping minnows and stuff.

I went to a local bullie hole yesterday and caught a bunch. ... If I wanted to throw a trap out, how would I do so? Like where would be the best place to purchase a trap and what kind of bait would I put in the trap? Sorry, I have absolutely zero knowledge when it comes to trapping minnows and stuff.

You can get a trap at Fleet Farm, Gander Mt, Cabela's etc. Just buy the standard cylindrical bait trap. You can enlarge the opening to 1 1/2 inches which is the largest opening allowed on a trap.

Where to put it: Same place you just caught those bullies. If that is not an option: check out any local ponds - most have bullies. Most city parks that have small lakes with a path running around the lake. In my experience those small lakes will be full of bullheads.

Bait: Dog food, cat food, or just leave it empty. I've got them on empty traps before too.

Read the regulations on Minnows and Leeches on page 70, 2009 Minnesota Fishing Regulations. This will keep you out of trouble.

Ryan - I just use a small wire snips and it worked fine. I just opened the trap and worked from the inside.

Do you have any probs with the jagged edge? The one I bought has a ring welded in the hole. If I cut that out, the edge won't be nearly as clean.

Thanks, Steve!

Yes, the edges get sharp on the end of the funnel when you cut the opening bigger. Don't try to carry your trap holding the end of the funnel or you could cut yourself.

One other thing you may want to think about. I use to attach my rope to the snap link that came with the trap to hold the sides together. That snap link has a tendency to slip off the side loops. I lost one half of a trap when the snap came loose as I pulled in the trap. Here is what I did to prevent that from happening on my other traps

#1. I used a couple of cable tie to attach the two sides together on the back side of the trap from the snap loops. This way if the trap comes open when I'm pulling it in the sides won't separate.

#2. I attached a cable tie near one end of the trap and left the cable tie loop long enough to attach the rope to. I pull the trap in from the end and not from the snap link at the center of the trap. This way I'm not causing the snap link to come open.

I thought I would let you know about this so it doesn't happen to you.

Harvey Lee - Do you mind if I ask what you were using to catch the bullies? I used worms I caught two days ago and yesterday I bought some Crappie Nibbles for the heck of it to see if they would bite on that, but they didn't.

I use all worms as the area I fish has only bullheads so one does not need to worry about other fish.

I have also used canned corn and they bite on that just about as good this time of year. The worms stay on the hook better and I can catch more fish without rebaiting so often.