• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

most reliable gas auger

klbowe

I picked up a ultra mag last year and love it. the 2hp seems to have more than enough power to turn the 9 inch blades. as for starting; put mind away last winter, took it down couple of months ago. pulled the choke and it started on the second pull. Would stay away from the 3hp models tho. the first one I picked up had the 3 on it. could not get it to run all. I also have a friend who has the 3hp 10 inch auger, he has to baby it for a while to get it to run. for some reason the 3hp seem to be cold blooded.

O

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12-07-2003).]

I've always heard the same things about the 3HP engines - stay away from them. I run a 10" 2HP Strikemaster Lazer and have had zero problems in four years, outside of a bent auger assembly that I accidently bent trying to get ice buildup off the blades (totally my fault - don't push down on the auger if it isn't cutting. Just clean off the ice buildup and away you go). They were nice enough to replace the auger for me free of charge, so the customer service is A1 as well. Plus, it's fast and light (even the 10"). I'd never buy anything else...

dan

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I would take a long hard look at the Eskimo line of augers, just as reliable as any other auger, they use the same motors, They cut through ice just as well (perhaps faster), and they are not up-charged$$ as much as the other augers.

barracuda.jpg

I just sold my strikemaster lazer because I picked up an Eskimo Barracuda. I was impressed with them last year and for the price the Eskimo made way too much sense.

You can check their full line-up of augers.

CLICK HERE to see all the Eskimo Augers
They are slick ice cutting machines.

6 years the same spark plug and it always starts on the 1st or 2nd pull and that's the Lazer Mag Plus III 2 h.p. 6". My friend CNY Frank picked up a Mako and I am interested to see how it performs. If it's a Tecumseh motor I am sure it will rock and roll.

Good choice opsirc... the Ultra is one of the very best augers available in my mind.

The StrikeMaster Lazer Mag Ultra is a 3 blade design that cuts up to 20% faster than conventional 2 blade Lazer Mag designs. It also offers a Tufflite handle system that is very handy.

For weight/power ratio this is top of the line. 9" cutting diameter weighing in at only 26 lbs.

The Eskimo looks like a real nice auger and great value as well. I feel for the money that the Eskimo is right up there near the top. "Most reliable gas auger" I have to give to StrikeMaster though. Their customer service is second to none.

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 12-07-2003).]

I have the Jiffy 3 hp Legend, and really dig it. I have had it for 5 years , and it rips through the ice quickly. I will admit it 's a large unit so it isn't something you would be able to back pack in without a heart attack. But it's very reliable, and I think has the best deicer tool. The IceDarmor works very well without iceup.

I have used a 2 hp eskimo a couple of years ago on Eagle lake in canada. The little 2 hp worked well going through 4 ft of ice, however the blade go iced over often.

Just my input.

jiffy
have had the model 30 for 15yrs no problems.
would take a good look at the jiffy stealth
friend bought one last year and it cuts fast
and no ice up. my .02cents

Jiffy, Strikemaster, Eskimo.

Different brands, SAME MOTORS.

So if you're talking motor reliability, it's all the same regardless of auger brand. I have a 3 hp. It's 7 years old. It runs so well I wish all the motors in my life were this trouble-free.

I've heard the newer 3 hps are a bit rougher to run, and that it's because there are newer emission standards on the 3 hps that changed its carburetion, but hasn't changed the 2 hps.

I own a Strikemaster. I've cut with a Jiffy and an Eskimo.

They all cut well. The most reliable auger for my money is the one that runs well and cuts well. Since they all use the same motors, they won't run differently compared with other brands in the same year class and horsepower. And they all cut well. By that I mean they each cut as well as the other, just like Chevy makes a good truck, and so does Ford and Dodge and Toyota, and . . . .

Eskimos tend to be a bit cheaper (though not a LOT cheaper), because they don't lay out the bucks for major advertising that Strikemaster and Jiffy do.

I will say this. Over time, and by that I mean a lot of years, a 2 hp driving a 10-inch auger is taxing the engine, particularly in the real north, where there's 3-foot ice, and it won't make the long haul.

If I was to buy a brand new auger, heck, I'd buy two. One would be a 2hp 8-inch for when weight was an issue, the other a 3hp 10-inch, for when I was out in the truck or towing the gear with ATV or snowmobile. If I could only own one new auger, I'd get a 2hp 8-inch.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

I've owned strikemasters and used many Jiffy's and I now own an Eskimo Shark. This eskimo is the easiest starting, best idling, smoothest cutting auger I've ever used.
My Shark DOES NOT use a Tecumseh engine. The Shark has a chainsaw type egine, manufactured in Italy....maybe by Ferrari ??!! grin.gif It runs at nearly twice the RPM of a Strikemaster or Jiffy.
I really like the primer bulb ! One or two pumps on the bulb even when it's well below zero and it starts on the first or second pull EVERY time.

As noted the engines are for the most part the same in the Tecumseh 2 and 3 H.P. range. The reliability factor can still come into play with throttle cables, blades, etc. The engines should all be similar. The big three - StrikeMaster, Jiffy, and Eskimo should all be pretty reliable. Augers are extremely simple - you have a very simple 2 stroke engine attached to an auger with a throttle basically.

Attention to small details and quality are what set the top from the rest. Blade and auger quality and length of life, rusting, plastic breaking off or wearing, carbs. not adjusted before leaving the factory, carb. not easily adjustable, cosmetic details etc. are some differences between the good and the average manufacturers. They may not directly fall into the reliability category, but the average person doesn't understand how to adjust his carb. StrikeMaster is a bit higher priced, but they do pay super attention to detail and quality and have excellent customer service.

The main thing your paying for in a top dollar auger are faster cutting and lighter weight, along with cosmetic details.

Dmon,
If your concerned about weight, an 8" and 2 H.P. auger will do all you ever need and is much less weight to haul around. The 2 H.P. Tecumseh engines are nice.

If you always drive on the ice and never need to drag it around, the 10" cutting diameter and 3 H.P. augers are an option.

As far as I'm concerned, Jiffy's the only auger to buy. I'm another satisfied 3hp Jiffy owner of 20 yrs and amazed it still starts on the 2nd pull. For your proof, just take a look at this topic page alone and count up the number of 15yr+ auger owners and the choice is clear which brand outshines the rest.

BullsInc

Thanks all who replied. After posting I thought of my cousin and her husband who own a access on Upper Red Lake and rentals. I gave him a call and he runs Jiffy augers. He had nothing bad to say about Strikemaster. The only concern I have is the new plastic handles. Too me -30 degrees and plastic may be a cause for concern.

You couldn't break that Tufflite handle on the StrikeMaster if you tried I don't believe. The advantage is weight. My Jiffy 3 H.P. weighed 40 lbs. The 9" StrikeMaster weighs in at 26 lbs. Both great augers, but if your drilling a lot of holes and moving around a lot the weight becomes a major factor.

Hey Rick, I have an Eskimo question. What is the weight difference between the Barracuda 3HP and the Mako 2HP augers? There's not much of a price difference so the weight would be a big factor for running and gunning. Also, what is the blade like? Is it more like the Jiffy or the Lazer? From what I,ve read of the Eskimos, I,m really intriqued by them. Also, don't you think its time for the FM people start thinking about entries in the ice auger competion this winter?????

I have a 2 HP, 10" Strikemaster Lazer and have been very happy with it. Last year I borrowed a 10" Jiffy and noticed a major difference. I was drilling holes inside my shack, and since the Jiffy turns about twice as fast as the Lazer, it threw chips all over my house! That probably isn't a concern on the open ice. In fact, throwing chips farther may be an asset outside. However, this is something you should consider if you are drilling holes inside your permanent.

------------------
Wables

stfcatfish is exactly right. they all, for the most part, use Tecumseh motors. either 2 or 3 horse.
I would say the question is irrelevant if you mean starting wise.
some swear jiffy's start better then strikemasters, other are opposite. BAH! it's all about maintenance. If you maintain it, they'll all be good. then it's just a question on how good of a deal you get.
Now reliability of the rest of the auger, design ect.. that is a good question. There I think it's just based on preference. Size, 6, 8, or 10. Type, chipper or razor. what brand has best design?

for me it dont really matter much which auger i use as long as they run well and have sharp blades .i gave a buddy my old eskimo 3hp 10"that i used very heavy in what was reffered to as northern icewith no problems from 1988 to 2001. swithed to the model 30 jiffy 8" deicer. the jiffy cuts quite a bit faster than the eskimo and is a quite a bit lighter. most of the 2 hp models seem to have alot of plastic parts that with the abuse i dish out i figured it wouldnt hold up . for most of the augers about the only difference is the gearing in the aspect of speed . finially,,i will pack the extra weight over a 2 hp just to make sure i have the dependablity of most of the 3 hp models. wink.gif

Strikemaster 2 hp with 8" has been the ticket for me - light weight and easy to start. I also like the fact that the company is right here in Big Lake if I ever need accessories. Stop in there some time - off of Hwy 10 North of Elk River. It's kind of cool.