• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good/Bad drop away rests

Thinking of getting a drop away for my Switchback XT, I like the idea of the kind that you can lock up and the arrow is trapped in, then when you draw it unlocks and functions normally. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with any of these types of rests?

I also currently use a trophy taker. Great rest, but I have had issues with the arrow coming off it, espessially while hunting on the ground or from a blind when the bow is held horizontally.

Missed a BIG antelope a couple years ago when the arrow was off as I drew. He heard that and was gone! mad.gif

That is why my next rest will probably be a ripcord.

I love my ripcord. I was looking last year for a drop away with containment. Although the trophy taker is a great rest, it doesn't allow you to lock the rest in the up position.

With the ones remaining I chose the Ripcord. I like it alot and I've found great reviews about it.

I purchased a Ripcord last summer and was more than happy with it. It worked flawlessly. As noted above by many others, there are numerous ones out there that will work for you. Its kind of like, what the best bow out there, personal choice I guess.

Thanks for the input sounds like the ripcord gets a lot of votes. I have looked at those and the QAD rests, sounds like the QAD had some problems in cold weather but the problem may have gotten fixed??? That's a little unnerving. The QAD also seem a little more expensive than the ripcords. One of my buddy's has a hoyt and got a rest from Schaffer archery down in the cities. He really likes it but it doesn't have the locking in feature. I think their rests are designed to fit the riser of the bow really well though. Thanks.

Just so you know you can use a Ram arrow holder and any drop away rest and be able to turn your bow upside down without the arrow falling out of the holder. The arrow holders are about $5 but don't work that well when it gets below 0. The plastic looses its elasticity when it gets really cold.

Originally Posted By: Mimic Shiner
Thanks for the input sounds like the ripcord gets a lot of votes. I have looked at those and the QAD rests, sounds like the QAD had some problems in cold weather but the problem may have gotten fixed??? That's a little unnerving. The QAD also seem a little more expensive than the ripcords. One of my buddy's has a hoyt and got a rest from Schaffer archery down in the cities. He really likes it but it doesn't have the locking in feature. I think their rests are designed to fit the riser of the bow really well though. Thanks.

Ya, I use a Schaffer, but if you want containment I would go ripcord, I'm thinking about changing just for that option,,, don't get me wrong the schaffer works awsume!!!!

Originally Posted By: Mimic Shiner
Thinking of getting a drop away for my Switchback XT, I like the idea of the kind that you can lock up and the arrow is trapped in, then when you draw it unlocks and functions normally. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with any of these types of rests?

This is my review of the QAD LD that I posted in Aug of 2006:

Quote:
The things I like about the QAD LD is the fact that it has total containment...you can put your bow in any position and the arrow will remain captured. I also like the fact that the rest will not drop unless you actually shoot your bow...the rest remains in the upright and captured position in a slow let down situation. The LD stands for lock-down...and this keeps the forks from possibly bouncing back up and striking your fletching.

My switchback is cranked down at 72lbs with a 29inch draw shooting a total arrow weight of just over 370grains...with nothing on the string (vapor trail)...so Its plenty fast...but I understand what your saying. I have been using 2inch Blazers on my arrows and have no contact issues.

I am rather new to this sport...so I have limited experience....but I watched the pro-shop employee set up my bow...I shot it for or five times thru paper....he made a couple of adjustments...I shot it a few more times....one more adjustment....and its bullet holes. So, I thought it appeared pretty easy to get set up.

If you google “QAD” on the internet..you should be able to find their web-site...and they have a demo video shows what I am talking about. If someone is in the market for a new rest....I think the QAD LD is worth a look."

I have had ZERO problems with the QAD LD...even in cold/wet weather....its worth checking out.

Good Luck

Cliffy.

I like the Vapor Trail Limb Driver the best. I attaches to limb and not the cables, so it will not affect timing. It also holds the arrow longer than others, so it might be more accurate. If the cord breaks or if their is a problem it is in the upright position, still usable. It is not full containment, but use an arrow holder and you will have no problems. Very easy to set up and works with FOBs. Let us know what you get.

Mimic, I shoot a Schaffer with my mathews, it does fit the riser very well but does not have the "locking" like you say. I have never had a problem with it, just my two cents.