• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gophers vs Mavericks

bassNspear

What a great series!!!!! I was at both fri and sat games and the atmosphere was crazy!!! Very fun games. To bad the hole rats won lol jk. The one thing I didnt like was the way the fans from both teams were acting and it only got worse as the games went on. I saw at least 8-10 people tossed out for throwing beer on Mavs/gopher fans. It just shows how many people are there just to be there and dont really care how they act. Both teams have a huge kid fan base and they dont need to see boneheads act like that. Well I may be sad that the mavs lost but there is still a smile on my face for being able to see the great hockey played this weekend. Win or lose both teams played there hearts out. Congrats to the gophers and good luck thursday!!!

Great game! They played almost the equivalent of 5 games in 3 nights and the goaltending was stellar. I can't wait to see what happens in the Final Five.

What an awesome series! I was wondering what you guys think about the ref work in OT? I understand that they don't want to effect the outcome of the game but like it or not, it's what they're paid for... I agree with Woog on the thought that not calling penalties effects the outcome easily as much as calling penalties, and endangers the players in many cases. I was surprised to see the game misconduct on the hit on Pohl. I saw a hit exactly the same on a Mavs player later in the same game that didn't even get a penalty call. I thought the hit on Pohl was made to look much worse because he didn't have his chin strap on... I hope he's ok, the only updates I heard were during the game and they sounded like he would be fine. Hopefully fine for Thursday.

Skull fracture with bleeding in the brain...I don't think he'll be lacing them up this weekend.

Here is the story.

Gophers hockey player Tom Pohl was in intensive care today at St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester after surgery for a skull fracture.

Pohl, a senior forward, was injured Sunday night in the Gophers' 3-2, double-overtime victory at Minnesota State, Mankato. He was elbowed by the Mavericks' Jason Wiley with six minutes left in the second period. Pohl hit his head on the boards. There was a 13-minute delay as Pohl, who had a gash on his forehead and was bleeding from his nose, was immobilized and taken off in a stretcher. Wiley received a major penalty and game disqualification.

The injury resulted in bleeding on the brain and Pohl was airlifted to St. Mary's. Successful surgery was performed to stop the bleeding and stabilize the fracture. Pohl remains at the hospital for further observation.

" We are very fortunate that he has tremendous medical care," said Minnesota coach Don Lucia in a statement. "We' re looking forward to him returning to school at one hundred percent and our thoughts and prayers remain with Tom and the Pohl family."

Lucia drove to Rochester this morning.

Pohl usually plays on the Gophers' fourth line and kills penalties. He played high school hockey at Red Wing. He is the younger brother of John Pohl, also a former University of Minnesota player.

The Gophers won the best-of-three series 2-1 and advanced to the WCHA Final Five on Thursday in St. Paul.

Bar none, some of the best college hockey I've ever seen. I watched Friday and Saturday's OT sessions only and then last night in it's entirety. One bounce either way and unbelievable goaltending is what made that series so great.

Thanks for the updates on Tom Pohl. Wishing him a full recovery...

Originally Posted By: IFallsRon
Woog the ever-sensitive colorman: Everyone in the building is standing except the people in wheelchairs.

I have to admit it made me chuckle as well. He definitely speaks off the cuff.