• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Most popular size auger

riverboy

What size auger do you use? Hand or Gas.

I typically use a 8" hand auger, My buddy has a older 12" gas auger that is the cats meow. We typically fish for walleye's and a 12lb walleye is not uncommon in the Saginaw Michigan, River/Bay . So the bigger the hole the better.

Do you think a bigger hole has a negative effect in very shallow water (2' to 3') while chasing spooky perch?

I have an eight inch and a seven inch Lazer hand auger. I prefer the seven inch since it's drilling a smaller hole, it's easier. I also like the seven inch since my coffee pot won't go all the way through. Nice for clumsey people like myself.

------------------
Erik

Being a Crappie fisherman, I use a 6" hand auger at first ice. Slices through with ease.

Once the ice gets 8" or better I switch to the gas auger. 8" Lazer for me.

If I am gonna sit one spot out for a while, I'll drill a seperate hole for my ducer to eliminate tangles, etc. and allow myself the maximum amount of space.

In regards to bigger holes spooking fish: In some cases I think it can have an affect, even in deeper water. In cases that I've felt a "ray of light" as I put it was going to inhibit a bite, I just kick slush or snow down the hole and leave a spot open to drop my jig down through.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 11-15-2003).]

I have a Jiffy 8" Legendgas auger now afterhaving a Eskimo Shark 8" for about 10 years. I have fished alot and caught some nice size fish, and never had one I couldn't get through an 8' hole. The bigger holes are a real hazard. I met a guy who said he broke his leg stepping into a 10" hole chasing his dog on a lake last year.

I use a 10 inch in my permanent house. In extreme cold weather the hole can freeze in from the sides and a 10"er will shrink to 8" by the end of a weekend of fishing.

When fishing in portables I use a 10" when fishing big pike and a 7" for everything else. A 7"er is much lighter which makes mobility easier.

Think ice!

I use an 8" Electric Jiffy. It always starts, no waiting for it to warm up, and no fumes and smell inside my icehouse. I used to have a 10" Jiffy, but I didnt like it in deep water. All the holes in the house then become 4" closer and when there is 12 holes the less tangles the better! wink.gif

------------------
End of the Line Charters
Lake Superior
1-888-U-HOOK-EM
www.fishontheline.com

I own a 10"er, but I think a 9" hole is perfect. It's only an inch difference, but it's a big inch (that's what she said!)
Vex doesn't fall down it, nephews won't fit in it, saves on ankles, etc. Ten and 12 inch holes are too big- yes they're nice to fish out of, but if you're the guy who stumbles into them, you'll think they're too big too.
My $.02.
Scoot

I use a 6 inch hand auger at first ice, then switch to a 8 inch power auger when I feel it's time. I always ran 9 inch augers for walleye fishing but decided to go to the 8 inch last year. I feel getting a eye through a 8 inch hole is easy if you take the time to play out the fish. By going to a samller auger bit my hole cutting speed and eficency has increased allowing me to become a more succesfull ice fisherman.

6 inch hand and 7 inch power. Heck, I never catch anything that can't fit through a 7 inch hole. However, I have occasionally had problems turning bigger fish up the hole when the ice gets thick. I kind of like to have that as an excuse in case the fish comes unpinned due to operator error. Makes for a better "the biggun' that got away" story.