• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod blanks...

311Hemi

Anyone have any knowledge on the Cabela's IM7 spin blanks? I'm thinking of making a 5'6" light action spin rod that has a little more whip for casting too. The St. Croix SCIII w/IBC (Avid) blanks seem really nice, but the IM7 blanks are a little cheaper.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i might get into rod building. sounds interesting. so lets say i want to build a 6' 3'' gloomis IMX spinning rod with extra fast action and medium power for jigging, what would be the cost difference? ball park of course.just a little side note. the most favorite rod i ever owned i bought at goodwill for like 7 bucks with a spinning reel. i caught more fish with that rod than i can count.. one day a fish pulled it in the croix while i was releaseing another one. i could feel a fish ''swim'' by my line with that thing, i swear. the name was worn off and any info so i can't even replace it. i was (and obviously still am) so bummed i lost that thing. any other rods that touchy? was dark maroon, no thru blank. looked cheap as heck.

I don't think they make a 6' 2" in IMX. If you want IMX go to Model SJR (IMX) 6' (you can extend the handle a few inches if you want longer). Med action. 6 - 12 lb test 1/8 to 3/8. They make a 6'6 " in IMX

Or check if you can purchase a Walleye series blank 6' 2" choice 1/8-3/8.

Contact Lonnie @ Thorne Bros. He will get you into the right rod blank grin.gif

Originally Posted By: b1gf1sh1
any other rods that touchy?

I have a St. Croix SC5 (Legend Elite) that I made for myself, and I actually have felt a fish swim against my line and reeled up and snagged it! Very sensitive rod, but also pricey, the way I built mine it would retail for over $300. It could be built for less though, as I chose high end components for it. I figured if I was going to spend the money on the best blank, I might as well spend top money on components as well.

see that's the thing. i spent 7 bucks and had a rod that just a sniff was detectable. now if i want to get one i'd have to spend some pretty good change. thing is will it be as good? i'd only know if i bought it, lol. if not then what? buy another? cry.gif ahhhhh. i miss that rod. i know a few things about what it felt like. you know when i would whip it in my hands and that and just have'nt felt that same... i don't know... i guess vibration, is all i can think of to describe it. but when i feel it i'll know it right away. was one at joe's that felt about right, but just not right. it might have been something as simple as the design making my hand rest in a certain spot all the time. but i always have my index finger on my blank anyway something my Grandpappy Amos taught me. who knows what huh? it's by the swing bridge by Hudson. still waiting to catch it back. i'd pay a thousand to have it back. did'nt realize what i had till it was gone.

I build a legend elete spinning rod a few years ago. Spinning rod exrended the handle to 7 10" ML action. I like the rod, but I still thing that G Loomis has a better product, Action on the blank, and they are lighter. I put the top of the line guides on it (titanium). They make a huge difference as far as overall weight goes.

You can go cheaper with the guides.

Depending on your budget you could build a G.Loomis IMX hsr 9000 with for probably around $200-225 with low end guides.

You could pay a little more on the guides and probably be around $25. I'm guessing on this , but it is in the ball park.

You could go GL 3 and save a little more, but I think you would be alot happier with an IMX

thanks for the info. it's too bad the winter is over and now i have to concentrate on spring, i.e. getting boat ready, install my new downrigger, new lights on trailer, etc. mabe next winter. it's too bad this forum was'nt here earlier. but then again i get more time to study up. thanks again.

DR

Originally Posted By: so haaad
Anyone have any knowledge on the Cabela's IM7 spin blanks? I'm thinking of making a 5'6" light action spin rod that has a little more whip for casting too. The St. Croix SCIII w/IBC (Avid) blanks seem really nice, but the IM7 blanks are a little cheaper.

I have built a bunch of rods on cabelas IM7 and love em. For the price you can't go wrong. Last year I built a few of the 2pc 7ft fast ML and would recomend it highly! A very nice riggin rod...

I also have made 3 9ft 8 weight IM7s that have caught hundreds of steelies and salmon with no complaints or problems...

For the money the IM7's are nice. I have tied up a few and given them for gifts. If you could purchase the fish Eagle II's would be another way to go. They are a decent rod for the price grin.gif

Well, my wife came through on my birthday last week and got me nice gift certificate to Thorn Bros (I had been talking to a buddy about it recently grin.gif). I'm set to build a nice rod...so it's time to decide on what G Loomis blank to go for and determine what other components to go with. I will be talking to Matt or Lonie soon. Hopefully I can take my time on my first rod to have it come out nice! Thanks for all the recommendations on this thread. I think I will be going with an IMX or the 9000.

Any cheap ways to practice anything before setting up time with these guys? I see a few guys recommended doing a few rods before trying a nice one..

Thats definitely possible. Is it the wrapping that take some experience to get good at....or is it other things like the epoxy or whatever is used that you have to know what your doing so it comes out right?

The HSR 9000 IMX will as you know because you were at the Panfish seminar double as a panfish & live bait rigging/slip bobber rig for Eyes.

That is an awesome choice. Nothing to practice, just call up @ Thorne Bros and get a shop time set up. Nothing to worry about as far as epoxying or anything. Scott or Mike will work with you.

Enjoy grin.gif

Epoxy is one of the most difficult to get right. I would start out with the lite, it goes on with fewer bubbles. The high build if great, but if your work area is cooler it doesn't seem to release the bubbles that you inherently wind up with. There are some ways to get rid of bubbles but taking heat to epoxy and not getting it right is a frustrating thing.

Wrapping the guides if you look at the post Dark Cloud put up is not that bad. Many people learned this from a book or a few questions here and there, myself included. But if there are classes near by take them it will take you a few hours less of trial and error to learn.

I want to build a rod mainly for walleye fishing...since that is that majority of what I do. My walleye fishing mainly consists of running spinner rigs or Lindy Rigs either trolling or drifting, with sometimes running crank baits (may just have other cheaper rods set up for cranks though). If I could throw it in that the rod possibly be used for panfish (such as they mentioned in that panfish seminar at TB), that would be a bonus.

As far as which specific specs....not 100% sure yet.

Go with the walleye 8400 IMX or hsr 9000. If you want a longer rod (8400 is 7 ft) you can extend it to 7'10". The HSR 9000 is 7'6". You can extend it another 6-8" also. Works great for the longer snells (7-10') on Mille Lacs. grin.gif

I have a HSR 9000 custom built. As a matter of fact had it built as a dual purpose rod, thinking walleye/smallmouth mainly and panfish secondary. A great rod, but it is overkill in the panfish department. I have used it on sunfish/crappies/perch and only the largest of those specimens will even begin to load the rod. Don't get me wrong the rod is very efficient in putting fish in the boat, but don't expect it to be very sporty. I mean it was designed as a steelhead rod.

As far a sporty panfish rig, I much prefer my 8 foot, 5 weight flyrod blank with a 14 inch cork handle, no reel seat, and light weight no tangle guides. It is light and fun to fish with in a variety of situations.

There is a big difference in preferences. I am building a crappie rod right now, St Croix SC111 6' Ultra Light. Light sensitive and fast(well fast for an ultra light). Sweet little rod. A rod as heavy as that HSR 9000 would a heavy walleye rod, as a matter of fact my walleye rod that I use for rigging is a 7 Medium light. I even hav e 9ft 7 wt wrapped as spinning rod that I will use if I need to stretch the leader out to around 10'. I like lighter tackle.