• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod blanks...

311Hemi

Thanks DinkADunk, that was what I was looking for. I have built a fly rod on a RainShadow RX7 and that is a nice rod(I am rookie fly fisherman so my opinion is limited) and I had a hard core fly fisherman check out the rod and he was impressed with the rod and and the blank in particular.

Interesting on the speed of the blank, I was thinking the extra fast might be too fast for what I want but if they tend to run a little slower than it may be just what I am looking for.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will agree with what both DinkADunk and Custom said. I built a RX7 fly rod last year that feels comparable to the SCIII blank from St. Croix, which I also own. The RX7 feels a little slower/forgiving than the SCIII, but it still handles great. And like DinkADunk said, Rainshadow blanks are reasonably priced for the quality, and their guides are definitely worth trying. I'd build on them again.

One of the Batson techies, Guy, will give you a straight-forward and honest opinion on rod blanks if you give him a call.

Sometimes it is a little hard to try a new product when you have had success with one. That is why I was looking for opinions. I hate to put in all the time on a rod and have it come out poorly. I guess it is time to get out of my comfort zone and try a Rainshadow for Walleye stick. The more I think of it the S822.5 would work out well.

I thank everyone for their input, sometimes a little hard for this old dog to learn a new trick cool.gif

Up North,

We are the mega distributor in the midwest for the Batson products and handle exclusively their product line. We believe you will be extremely pleased with the performance of their blanks. A couple of blanks that you may want to look at that a lot of the tournament anglers are using for this application are the ISB841 or if you like a more slower loading rod, check out the IP841 through 844 series.

Al

Midwest Rod & Reel

Quote:
Roll over...roll over...now sit.

\:D Good one!

Al, It isn't so much that I wanted a slower action, I had a little concern about the extra fast designation on the S822.5 for bait fishing. I typically like the fast action, but extra fast? But DinkADunk's reply about it being a little slower than advertised has me thinking.

But I will take a look at the blanks you recommended. Thanks!!

UpNorth,

I forgot to mention to you that we will be at the sport show next week. If you are located in the area and plan on attending, give our booth a visit. You will be able to see several models in their finished state, which will give you a very true depiction as to how they feel in a finished product.

Al

Midwest Rod & Reel