• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod blanks...

311Hemi

I have a G.Loomis 6'6" ultra light as well. But for the application I mentioned above, there is no way the utlta light could be used in that type of fishing situation.

Hate to disagree with you on the HSR 9000.

The HSR 9000 by no means is a heavy rod for eyes. Has backbone but the tip/mid has plenty of give. (I know that Marv Koep had alot of designing on that blank. It's actually a light steelhead blank.) If you look at the rod specs. it's classified as a mag light. Anything over 1/2 oz, and it's too soft of a tip for rigging.

I have a St. Croix legend elete med light 7 footer that I extended to 7'10". There is not that much difference in action at all. Both have alot of backbone at the end, but fast/soft tips in the upper 1/3 or half.

I have a longer IMX steel head blank at least 8'6". they classify that as medium action. But a 20" Eye puts a nice bend, in it, and anything over 24" has it bent in half. Anything over 1/2 and the tip is too soft. You can cut off 3" on the tip to make this rod drag heavier sinkers. The difference with the steelhead blanks for Eyes is all in the upper 1/3 or 1/2 of the rod, but with power down at the butt end.

Alot of guides on Mille lacs use these two rods when rigging and when using the 7-10" snells. That's the beauty of G. Loomis blanks they are more multi species oriented.

It all depends what people are comfortable with, but the hsr 9000 is by no means considered heavy action rod for Eyes.

They have heavier actions in their walleye series than the 9000.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to realize not everyone fishes in the same manner. I don't have anything heavier than 6# test on any rod I own(well except my Muskie rod) the specs on the rod you are talking about is 6 to 12 # I have an old Cabela's 8'6" light Steelhead stick and that is probably about the action you are talking about. I would never even think of using that for Crappies.

I am talking about personal preferences, you fish what works for you and I fish what works for me, not an issue.

12 - 15" slabs WOW! I, myself would like to tackle those with my 6-6 Loomis IMX UL, Fireline with a Floro leader, big fun. But that is the beauty in Custom rods, you can build exactly what suits you. I don't like the idea of cutting the tip off any blank. I have found it simply takes the feel out of the rod and greatly reduces the casting accuracy, rod does not load correctly. Much better off finding a blank that more closely matches what you are looking for in lure weight and action. Of course there is a big difference in a rod your not interested in using for casting distance and accuracy, -vs- one your using for rigging with 7-10' leaders.

I agree. Didn't mean to make it sound like one was right and one was wrong. I have 6# test on all my spinning reels as well. Except 4# on the ultralight.

I don't use the 8'6" for crappies, strictly a walleye rod on the Mud on mille lacs, or slip bobber fishing on the mud. The action is probably pretty close to your Cabela's rod. That rod would be way to heavy for Crappies.

I would consider tying up one of their 9 footers in an ultralight. That would be a blast for anytype of fishing.

What I like about the longer steelhead rods for eyes is that when they run, there is alot of give, in the blank so you won't break lines (unless your drag is to tight) or have the hook rip through their mouths because the tip is to heavy. And you can just usually give a sweep of the rod for the hookset. Plus it makes it easier when using longer snells.

every rod like you mentioned excells in certain situations. If you never fish in water over 15-20 ft, a 7' rod would be all you need.

Rodmaker, you could consider a 9' fly rod as a Light/Ultra Light. I have a 7wt and it comfortably handles 4# and has more backbone than most 9 foot Ultra Lights, it is a bit faster not being a noodle type rod. You could even drop that down to a 5wt and have a true Ultra Light. Crappies and Blue Gills would be a ton of fun on something like that.

By the way I got into the long rods when I started Steelhead and Salmon fishing. You would be surprise how fast you can whip a large fish with a long rod and light lines. You ever see those guys with fly rods handling those huge salmon and trout? They work great!!

Man...I am realizing how much I really don't know as far as rods go. To this point I have basically used two different rods, and really have no idea what the better uses for them would be (thus to decide what exactly to build).

1) Newer Guide Series IM8 6'6" Medium Light Action

2) Older (probably 20+ year) Fenwick Iron Hawk HMG Graphite - 5'3" - 1/8-5/8 lure & 6-15lb line.

3) 4' custom made ultralight I received as a gift 15 years ago. Don't know any detail other than that.

I think the next one will be a 7' at least.

Contact Bill @ Timbertrail Lodge. There is usually a good Crappie bite Mid July-Aug. I have a 16 1/2" 2 lb 4 oz Replica on the wall. I caught that one in 2004.

With the IMX blank I am talking about Thorne Bros has done this for quite a few Customers. I'm going to build this one next Winter. It doesn't cut down on the action, it just makes the tip not quite so soft. I'm using these rods for dragging long snells on Mille Lacs. No casting involved.

That's what makes customizing rods a blast. If anyone out there is reading and thinking about doing this, I highly recommend giving it a try. It isn't rocket science. especially when you build one at a rod shop.

I don't fly fish so I can't say about the fly blanks. I do know Thorne Bros has customized fly rod blanks for the walleye guys. I inquired about this a few years ago. If I remember right I think they said maybe a 7or 8 weight would work. I may visit that topic with them late next Fall. Thanks for bringing that up. grin.gif

I couldn't agree more with what you said about the longer rods!! grin.gifgrin.gif The soft tips tires them out. If they want to make a run, let them. That's why you can get by with lighter lines. Let the rod do the work.

Great post. There is alot of good info here!!!

I get out Salmon fishing with my dad on Lake Michigan, and it's a blast when they load up the rod, and you hold on.

Just remember, everyone here has their own opinions. There is no right or wrong answer.

From my experience in doing this for 15+ yrs.(I'm 47) Thorne Bros has NEVER sold me a bad or wrong blank for the type of fishing I want to do.

Go with either the HSR 9000 IMX or the 7ft St. Croix legend Elete Med light action. (for Eyes or bigger panfish). If building the St. Croix, extend the handle 8-10". You won't be disappointed.

I have both of these rods, and like them both.

I would have to say that I like G. Loomis better than St. Croix. Seems that they are lighter, and the tips are faster, more sensitive & responsive.

Just my two cents worth.

Some of the things I think about when selecting a rod blank is, lure weight, line weight and if it is a bait rod, lure or jigging rod.

You want to match the line weight you plan on using to the range of the blank. You also want to match the usual sinker or lure weight to blank too. If want to fish a lighter line, say 4# don't buy a blank that is rate for 8-12# or you are going to wind up snapping the line, also don't buy a blank rate for 2-6# if you are planning on fishing 10# line, if you yank on a snag and you may snap the blank. The lure weight rating is something to really consider too. I you buy a blank rated to load properly on 1/4 to 5/8 ounce and try to fish 1/16 ounce jigs you are going to be disappointed on how it loads up and casts,, it also will not have a good feel with that little amount of weight. If you try to cast a 1/2 ounce lure on an Ultra Light it is going to be sluggish and not have any snap, and you are not going to feel things very well with that set up either.

As far as action goes, slow, moderate, fast,and extra fast that describes where the rod flexes the most. Slow is pretty much the whole rod, moderate is probably starts about 3rd of the way up, fast is last 3rd and extra fast is just around the tip. If you are bait fishing you want something a bit slower than an extra fast rod or you are going to snap the bait off when casting, moderate to fast depending on preferences. It will also be a little more forgiving when a fish bites and give you a couple seconds to react. Some fly rods and long Ultra light noodle rods tend to be in the slow group, pretty much to cast the line or protect very light lines when fighting big fish. Most Jigging rods are going to be a faster action to facilitate jigging. And for casting big heavy baits is where most are going to want to have an extra fast action to hold up under the weight and snap the lure out there.

Good post there for new people building rods for the first time. cool.gif Match your lb test/ rod tip action to the rod blank & species you are fishing for,like you mentioned and you won't be disappointed with what you are building. I've found out with the G.Loomis IMX blanks that you can usually add an 1/8 oz or so to their weight recommondations and you are fine without overloading them.

The rod shops do a good job on listening to what you want, and then show you a few blanks to choose from.

I am sure that if you call Mid West Rod and Reel, Thorne Bros or any rod shop will go through those things with when you purchase a rod blank. But some people don't want to be "sold" something and want to shop for rod blanks and other components on their own.

I am not trying to insinuate that either Mid West Rod and Reel, Thorne Bros or any other rod shop are really going to tell you what to buy, but I tend to want to make the choice on my own and I am sure that there are others out there that want to do the same. I am a bit independent when it comes to that kind of stuff.

I was at Midwest Rod & Reel and they walked me through the different actions and I placed each one in my hand and flexed the blanks and they explained what each different action had to offer. So one can choose the blank they would like with some help from these guys that have the expierence in how these different blanks preform.

It really helps to handle these different rod blanks and see which ones load where and how they feel.

Great info Upnorth....thats what I was looking for!!

1) With line weights, how do braids affect your choice. I tend to prefer fishing with braids like Powerpro (6 lb diameter - 20 lb test) because I like that they don't stretch and it seems to help feel the light bumps.

2) Are there certain applications where a shorter rod might be preferred vs. a longer rod (not taking in to account storage)? From what I am reading it is helpful to have a longer rod for things like casting or reaching around objects.

I forgot, are you mainly building this for Eyes??

If you fish Mille Lacs or deep water applications stay with at least a 7ft blank, and think about extending the handle. Works for those long snells and hooksetting. The longer rods work great for slip bobber fishing also. For jigging, a 6 or 6"6 would be long enough.

These rods (IMX or Legend Elete) you feel everything and wouldn't have to fish the braids if you didn't want to.

when you are looking at braids or any line for that matter what the blank cares about is not stretch but breaking strength. The 6# diameter means much less than the breaking strength. If you use braids you need to make sure your drag is matched the strength of the rod, and if you need to break off a snag make sure you grab the line or point the rod to it and then pull, don't break off by loading the rod or you chance breaking it.

I have a 6' med lite that I just love for vertical jigging. It is fast action and I personally like it better for jigging. It seems to just have a better feel for vertical jigging than my 7' med lite. I also think you get a little better accuracy with a shorter rod than a long rod, even tho you are going to get a longer cast with longer rod.

I have a question, does anyone have an opinion on how well the Rainshadow RX8 compares the higher end St Croix blanks? I am thinking of building a new walleye rod for this spring and would am considering a Rainshadow instead of St. Croix.

OK....I just checked and there is no real good RX8 walleye blank(darn), how does RX7 blanks compare.

A lot of folk's like the RX7 Rainshadow blanks. What kind of walleye rod are you looking for (jig, bottom bounce, trolling, crankbait)?

For jiging check out the RX8+822.5, or RX7 IC722, IC721, or ISJ782. For Lindy Rig's, bottom bouncer, and other hardware presentations I've built some sweet rods (x-fast) on the RX6 HS9000 and HS9001 salmon/hot shot blanks. For trolling the RDR80M (RX6) are killer and very close to the Shimano Tallora trolling rods. Some folk's also use the RDR series for making crankbait rods (cut down a bit).

You might also consider the Lamiglas XMG 50 LSJ 842 and use as is or cut down by 6" or the G. Loomis SB811 (used a lot for Bass Shakey Head but similar to the Rainshadow 822.5). Of course the St. Croix blanks are a very good choice and well targeted to mid-west fishing.

I know what I want, I am looking for a 7' fast action md lt capable of 1/8 to 3/8 oz and able to handle 4 to 8 # line. Basically a lindy rigging rod. What I am wondering is how the feel and the action of the blanks compare compare to St Croix. I have built and fished on St. Croix rods but not Rainshadow, well at least not walleye rods, I have a Rainshadow RX7 fly rod. But that is comparing apples to oranges.

Up North,

The RX8 + 822.5 is close to what you are looking for. It is actually my next build and I plan to to use it for Lindy style rigging.

Here is the cut from the Batson Enterprises web site:

RX8+S822.5 Satin Black 6'10" 1 6-12 LB 1/8 - 1/2 OZ 0.450 4.5 Extra-Fast Medium 1.95 oz.

I seen that one and I prefer something a little softer than an extra fast for lindy riggin.

Here is what I found that closests matches what I want.

SP842F Matte Clear 7'0" 2 6-10lb. 1/16 - 5/16 oz. 0.360 5.0 Moderate-Fast Medium Light 1.47 oz.

I can seem to find exactly what I want in a RainShadow.

I looked as I got home and currently have 3 Batson RX 8+ blanks. 822's & 823's. I thought I was going to be able to have you drive down and buy me lunch!!! (ok, I can wait)

What you are referencing is a 2 piece. (you knew that I am sure)

You know, - I have made a call or two out there and spoke with their techie whose name, I beleive, is Guy. Fire him off a call and see waht he might suggest. They are GREAT people who will always have a conversation.

Good luck and let us know what you decided upon.

Hey guys I appreciate the replies, but I am looking for an opinion on feel, sensitivity and overall quality of the Rainshadow blanks compared to St Croix blanks, not necessarily the blanks themselves.

The 822 is about as close in the RX8 as I can find, just the extra fast is not what I want for lindy riggin to stiff for my liking, but if I was looking for jigging stick.....?

RX8+S822.5 Satin Black 6'10" 1 6-12 LB 1/8 - 1/2 OZ 0.450 4.5 Extra-Fast Medium 1.95 oz.

The Rainshadow blanks I've built on have been very high quality and on the two sets of rods that I've built with identical blanks they were very consistant from blank to blank. I've been very pleased with the fly rods I've built on the Rainshadow blanks as well as their other components (guides). Offhand I would say that the blanks are very slightly slower than what they list in their specs, they certainly are inexpensive enough to try out.