• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod blanks...

311Hemi

I am looking to add either a St. Croix or G.Loomis rod to my lineup this year. I have always been interested in learning how to build rods.

Can you buy blanks from these companies and would it be worthwhile warranty wise vs. just buying a prebuilt rod?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You usually cannot buy directly from the rod company. I will also second stopping in to Thorne Bros and talking to the guys listed above. They are a great resource, have a ton of info and are always willing to help you get started. You can also look on-line, you will find several online resources and how-to instruction guides that are pretty decent. Google rod-building...the first one listed is a great resource.

Thorn bros. sounds like a good place to start and they are close....so I will check them out when I am ready.

Just wondering if there is a warranty on blanks, or does one even consider that when building your own? I know their manufactured rods come with great customer service.

Hemi,

Thorne does a pretty sweet deal, it takes about 6 hours or so but you're basically the one building the rod, with the tutoring of an expert. If you're interested in learning the craft, it's the way to go for sure.

St Croix does sell blanks, surf around, they have a section on rod building.

Contrary to what some may think, it's not much more to have a custom built compared to the shelf models, and if you're looking to get into it for yourself, you can save some $$$ and really do some cool things with handles, split grips, wraps, specific application rods, etc.

This is going to be a cool forum, these guys are amazing with what they turn out for rods.

One caution: customs are addicting......don't say I didn't warn you.

Chris

I'm having my first custom rod made as we speak - Rogue blank 5'6" MH fast action spinning rod for skipping docks. Can't wait to try it out!

Guy who is making it showed me a new reel seat that is coming out for baitcasting sticks - has grooves in the back side for your fingers - very sweet feel. I already wish I had them on all my baitcasting sticks.

The other thing is there are websites that cater to those who want to build rods and baits and they have all the supplies for both.

It isn't hard to build these rods. It's a great Winter project. You can customize about anything.

All it takes is to build one and you'll never purchase one off the rack again. grin.gif

Very true! Glad to see this forum open up. Maybe I'll get off my butt now and build some of those blanks I've got sitting in a corner. I look forward to seeing and hearing more from folks here!

From my experience, St. Croix has been excellent in dealing with warranty related problems, regardless of where they were built. They seem to warrant any rod of theirs, wether custom built or bought pre-fabbed.

The IMX series of Loomis blanks are very nice. GLX is obviously the cats meow but for some situations I prefer IMX because of the added power an durability. A lot of bass situations call for an IMX... the 844 is probably one of the most versatile casting rods a guy could make... make the handle slightly longer than factory and put on a better guide set and you've got yourself and bass whoopin' machine!

I wouldn't pass up Rainshadow or Cortland blanks either. Both are VERY durable and relatively inexpensive and perform surprisingly well. Great for jig-worming, pictching docks, crankin' and tossing spinner-baits...

The Loomis 9000 is also back and can provide one of the best walleye riggin' rods out there...

Stop in at Thorne Bros (www.thornebros.com), I love talking rods and Lonnie Murphy is there Mon-Fri from 10am-4:30pm and is one of the best around. He'll get you set up with what you need and you can also talk with Scott or Mike and set up a time to build a rod of your own. Not only is it fun, but you get yourself and top-notch custom rod thats built with pride \:\)

Hey Matt!!!

Couldn't agree more as far as G. Loomis. That's all I have IMX's.

Would maybe like to try the HSR 9000 in GLX. How long could you extend the handle.

I have a steelhead spinning rod I use on the mud,(Mille Lacs) and love it. Looking for another spinning rod (longer) that would have just a little heavier tip.

What about the Steelhead 1025 in IMX????

Won't be able to get up there tonight like I thought.

Lonnie, Mike & Scott, I could spend all day up there discussing rod blanks. You guys are the best, that's why I keep coming back!!!!

Matt...good to know.

I really know nothing about the upper model rods....I have basically had a hand me down Fenwick and a Gander rod up till now. I am needing a few more and would like to get a quality setup. My main fishing composes of trolling, drifting, and jigging for eye's.

Gonna be heading in tonight for the panfish seminar....maybe I will need a new rod for that also! LOL

There are many good rod blank makers out there. I would suggest not going off the deep end on quality and price on your first rod. But on the other hand you don't want to buy junk either. You will be putting a lot of time and effort into and you don't want to wind up with a junker. But your first effort will not be as polished as you when you have a couple 3, 4 rods under your belt.

I'm suprised at all the blamk companies out there. I have been doing a little leg work and have found numerous companies that sell blanks for the home rod builder. I have always want to build a rod and now with the help and direction from you guys, this does look possible.

There are some guide spacing charts on the web. But every rod blank has some different characteristics that will affect guide spacing. The best practice it to tape or rubber band the guides and and do a quick stress test to be sure the guides are placed where the line follows the curve of the blank.