• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muskie Fanatics Needed! Please help

Write-Outdoor

Okay all you MN Muskie anglers....it's time to weigh in with some solid advice from all of you. \:D

This is Ron Hustvedt and I'm hoping to do something rather new to the world of publishing and FM. This is your chance to be part of something that could become big! I'm working on a few articles and I'd like to know your answers to a few questions. Please feel free to post here. I think it could be a cool concept but we'll see how it goes. Please participate for the good of FM and the future of muskie angling.

Question 1) Given the added pressure from an increased number of muskie anglers, have you found yourself changing tactics/locations to go after muskies? Give details/examples if you could and include a lake or two if you dare.

Question 2) The main muskie lakes in MN used to be Leech, Cass, and a handful of others. Today there are tons to choose from all around the state. What would you say are your top two sleeper lakes and your top two over-fished lakes. (again, lake names are helpful!).

Question 3) What would you like to see change or stay the same with the state of Minnesota's muskie program?

Any other comments are appreciated....oh, and don't think for a minute that there's a muskie lake in the state that everybody doesn't already know about. I hate it when people make comments like, "Why'd you tell people they could catch muskies in Lake X? Now everybody is going to fish there." Trust me, people already knew! \:o

Originally Posted By: WriteOutdoors

Question 1) Given the added pressure from an increased number of muskie anglers, have you found yourself changing tactics/locations to go after muskies? Give details/examples if you could and include a lake or two if you dare.

I night fish more. I fish a couple odd ball patterns that nobody else fishes. I fish really shallow and really deep (open water) more-- often fewer fish there, but way less people too.

Question 2) The main muskie lakes in MN used to be Leech, Cass, and a handful of others. Today there are tons to choose from all around the state. What would you say are your top two sleeper lakes and your top two over-fished lakes. (again, lake names are helpful!).

#1 top over-rated lake = Cass (yes, I know that'll get some people's undies in a bunch, but I'm simply giving my opinion).

Sleeper lakes- I won't answer that one because you are dead wrong when you said "Trust me, people already knew!".

Question 3) What would you like to see change or stay the same with the state of Minnesota's muskie program?

Additional muskie waters and a state-wide minimum (48 would be fine, 50 would be wonderful) would be nice.

First of all. Thousands of people read these forums and then you want to publish a statewide arcticle which im sure thousands of people read. Get real man your not gonna get to many "sleeper" lakes out of anyone. ;\)

Okay guys, lets try not to start bashing WO, it was not his intent I am sure to have people coming back with responses like this. If you want to respond politely with answers to the other questions great, and if you don't want to give out sleeper lakes, I am sure he will understand. As long as all the responses are cited properly, lets have some fun and see what everyone's opinions are. As I said before, I am just getting into Skis so I can't say too much about them.

Polarsusd81 I wasnt trying to bash him, but I feel that there are a few outdoor writers that kind of abuse our resoucrses really. I mean there are a few that are willing to throw down some names on a piece of paper to make a couple hundred bucks with total disregaurd to how much pressure that lake can and will recieve. It just doesnt sit well with me (and im sure about everyother musky guy out there)

Just my .02 though

Ron H. is a good dude.

Very fine writer...outdoor news, Minnesota Sportman.

Puts on a great winter long teaching fishen to inner city kids clinic at Joes in St. Paul several years now.

Been pleased to see progress an been part of a few myself.

A OK guy in every way..maybe just help him out a bit.

No feather ruffling.

\:\)

Tommy

Okay all you MN Muskie anglers....it's time to weigh in with some solid advice from all of you. \:D

This is Ron Hustvedt and I'm hoping to do something rather new to the world of publishing and FM. This is your chance to be part of something that could become big! I'm working on a few articles and I'd like to know your answers to a few questions. Please feel free to post here. I think it could be a cool concept but we'll see how it goes. Please participate for the good of FM and the future of muskie angling.

Haven't really changed presentations just varied them a little, on high pressure lakes (Mille Lacs), changing speed (really fast or really slow), fishing early in the morning or late into the night. Throwing baits that are a little off the wall tend to get some attention too from the fish. Truth be told though there are a lot of other guys doing the same stuff.

Over fished definitely Cass and Mille Lacs, but both still kick out fish. Sleepers most if not all of Minnesota's Muskie waters are known about and receive a substantial amount of pressure. Sleepers: Leech has lost a lot of pressure b/c of Cass, Mille Lacs and the Bemidji area. Every lake can be a honey hole for muskies its all about timing. grin.gif

Personally I am really happy with the management of Minnesota's muskies, I think it would be sweet to have a musky stamp, for extra funding for this rapidly growing sport.

Any other comments are appreciated....oh, and don't think for a minute that there's a muskie lake in the state that everybody doesn't already know about. I hate it when people make comments like, "Why'd you tell people they could catch muskies in Lake X? Now everybody is going to fish there." Trust me, people already knew! \:o

TomWehler, in no way shape or form did I say that he is a bad guy/ writer or anything like that. By the way it sounds he is a H%#@ of a guy. Taking inner city kids and introducing them to fishing is an awesome thing that can open up alot of new options for kids. So NO, I wasnt trying to bash him at all.

As for the sleeper lakes. You bet there are sleeper lakes in MN. My bro and I went to a northern MN lake last summer and boated two forty inch fish within an hour and we had never fished the lake before. The funny thing was there wasnt another guy throwin musky plugs on the lake. Thats part of the beauty of fishing I think. Being able to get away from the crowds, noise, and just relax while maybe boating a fish or two. Sure Mille lacs, Vermillion, and Leech produce monster fish but its nice just to explore and get away from all that hype.

Being concerned about your "sleeper" lake is definitely a good thing, I don't care what species of fish you are talking about. Those of us who have been around the net long enough, and obviously you guys as well, know what talking about a lake can do to the angling pressure on the lake. I think we have all been there.

Considering the emotions and enthusiasm expressed about this idea, I see a great subject for an article. I'm not talking naming "sleeper" lakes but the "idea" of sleeper lakes being out there, discovering them on your own, and how tough it is to keep you mouth shut about a good bite.

Ok,

WriteOutdoors has done several articles on my guide service and many different species in the Bemidji/Cass area. I have even had him out on the lake for several photo shoots. I have taken him out to several Honey holes for some nice pict's and he has never mentioned them. I have done some of his podcasts too...

Some outdoor writers give us a bad name, but some also like to help promote the sport and better yet help teach today's youth about the gift we have... I personally don't think this guy wants sleeper lakes...

His article in the Feb. edition of one publication covers my guide service but through out the article even mentions the FM web site. Postive promotions through a big name magazine is a good thing for this web site...

Beef

Hi all,

I think this is actually a pretty cool idea! The fact that an external source is coming to FM to gain some info is a compliment to the site, and the knowledge we have here. Ron talked about this with Rick (FM owner), and thought they would see how it goes.

Regarding sleeper lakes, I have one I do well on and it's all mine most days. Is it a sleeper though? I'd say "no" since it's on the DNR site as a designated muskie water!

Take a few minutes if you can and reply to Ron's questions, if you don't like a question, simply don't answer it!!!

Chris

Thanks to everybody who has posted legitimate information and thanks to everybody who has understood the intent of this (a special thanks to those to defend me as well!)

I'm not selling information, I'm just trying to give people an opportunity to share. If I was trying to "scam" information I'd just go back through the forums over the years and write stuff down. Don't say anything here that you don't want published but also bear in mind that as a muskie angler myself I'm not going to go and put anything out there that's potentially harmful or detrimental.

Just an FYI...I'm not doing this for personal gain. Yeah, I'm getting paid for an article but I thought I'd utilize this resource to spread the word about FM. Normally I call local guides and baitshops who are more than willing to share information. Like you, they are tight-lipped about secret spots. I'm no different. I write because I like to, not because it pays the bills. I work full-time and write on the side.

There's not some mass conspiracy out to get anybody so just sit back and relax if this upsets you. I recently learned that you don't have to hit reply if you don't like a post! \:\)

Hi all,

Question #1 could be answered with: More night time fishing on Mille Lacs. Or, I stay off the north shore on Mille Lacs now.

Question #2: Underfished could be 'tonka, in regards to the amount of structure and size compared to nearby Waconia and Indy. Or up north, the Boy Chain by Longville is less pressured waters/

Mille Lacs and Minnetonka are far from sleepers. So is the Longville area.

Please keep this post on topic.

Chris

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Let's get back on topic. If you feel the need to go or stay off topic to explain yourself or tell folks not to share information please use the Contact Us link at the bottom rather than posting in this thread.

If you're inclined to answer a question from the quote below/original post please feel free to do so. If not then again, please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page and don't post.

"There are no sleeper lakes" - from the guy who locates on the island on Vermillion - couldn't resist \:\)

1. In response to pressure my locations and tactics don't change so much as the times I fish. I wasn't here to fish before there was pressure so I don't know it any other way. I usually fish off peak times, nights, weekdays. Probably am forced to seek out new spots a little more often due to pressure. There are only a few lakes I'll go close to on the weekends, usually it's a lake like Alexander, which is still busy, but big enough to have enough fish and spots to find your own place.

2. I think Mille Lacs is overfished and has drawn pressure from the traditional musky waters. I could say I think almost every lake is overfished and overcrowded right now.s

3. Things I'd like to see stay the same - Size limits, 48" minimum is great, would like to also keep some Tiger lakes around the metro. Some are being re-evaluated for pure strain stocking but the Tiger lakes offer a nice alternative and a great chance for a newbie to see some action, so would like to see a few retained.

Things I'd like to see change - More waters, of course. Wish we had "tons" of lakes but we don't. Afraid the DNR Long Range plan falls short in adding the number of lakes we need to keep up with demand, also appreciate the resources needed stock and maintain these lakes, but you asked what I wanted so there ya go.

Extra comments: Yes, some lakes do exist that everybody may know about but everybody doesn't fish. I've seen certain lakes within the last few years get some press and now they are much more crowded than before,it's a BIG difference, and it's not Mille Lacs, so Ron I think the last comment on your post is a little strong and may potentially limit the info people are willing to give, but I'm hopeful something good comes out of this.

Due to added pressure I've actually found that going shallower is better than deeper, at least for me. I've even gone to a heavy spinning rig and used a 12-15inch worm and skipped it under trees and docks on the shoreline, much like bass fishing only with bigger baits. I developed my own flexable wire leader to use and I can still rig my worm texas style with the slip weight and everything.

I've already forgot the other two questions you asked so I'll stop there.

Quote:

I fish weekdays, at night, very early morning, late in the season, and in weather that a sane person would never, ever want to fish in.

Quote:
Question 2)What would you say are your top two sleeper lakes

No comment.

Quote:
and your top two over-fished lakes. (again, lake names are helpful!).

1.) Cass. Whenever I hear that Cass doesn't recieve alot of pressure, I laugh....hard.

2.) Brainerd area lakes. Weekends suck.

Quote:

1.) We need more lakes stocked!

2.) Higher size limits. A 48" minimum is a nice start. 50" or 52" would be better.

3.) More education. Way too many people think muskies ruin lakes and are eating "their" walleyes, bass, etc. If muskies are nothing more than an eating machine with fins, then why aren't they easier to catch?!

Hi Ron,

Here are some thoughts I have:

Q1: I didn't fish Mille Lacs much this year, and when I did I stayed off the North shore and looked to other areas due to the number of boats. I also mixed up my presentation and didn't throw the same hot lures that were being talked about. I downsized a bit.

On the flip side, if I was out early in the morning and a "classic" piece of structure was not hit yet I would work it for sure! White Bear has some pretty obvious structure, and for a reason! If I'm first out on a day I'd hit those areas for certain!

Q2:

Overfished: Mille Lacs, especially in the Fall on the moon phases. Between walleye and muskie boats, it's very busy!

In general, with the dramatic rise in muskie angler numbers, the pressure on all lakes has jumped dramatically. For example, French gets hit hard since it's the only one in the area.

Sleeper lakes.......

There are waters in the Longville area that have nice fish that don't get all the same pressure as others in the area.

Twin Cities Tiger waters: This is an underfished category of lakes. 40+ inch fish exist. Since when is a 40 inch fish not fun to catch?!?!?!

Q3:

Minn is on the right track with the assessment of the entire muskie program. Looking to add lakes in each region is a step in the right direction. More than the proposed 8 to 10 lakes would be a great win as well.

I agree with muskie-tail, increased minimuns would be nice to see too.

Not specific to muskies but rather pike, I'd like to see more done to improve the pike management in the entire state. A healthy pike population can do wonders for a lake balance and panfish populations too.

I hope these comments help!

Chris

Answer 1: I don't know that I have changed tactics as much as I have changed where and when I fish. If the fish are on a bucktail bite, everyone who has figured that out is chucking bucktails, just look at the DCG. Luckily, I have a job where I have some weekdays off, so I am more prone to fish on those weekdays when there are less boats out. I fish Lake Alexander 75% of the time, and on the weekends it is a zoo. I might go out for a couple of hours, but wouldn't put a whole day in.

Answer 2: I don't really know if you can classify any lake as a "sleeper" in my opinion. What might be a sleeper to you, could be renowned to a big group of other people. But my pick for a sleeper would be Island Lake Resevior. Don't know if the word is totally out on this big body of water, but it will be soon. Also Cedar lake near Atkin.

Overfished.........without a doubt Mille Lacs. With the recent success of anglers catching monster hawgs, it is just drawing more and more anglers to the big pond. I was out there one day and bet I could have literally walk to shore and never touched water from about 300 yards out. Couldn't believe it.

Answer 3: In general I think that the MN DNR has done a fantastic job with the Musky program. Minnesota now has the premier fishery in the US, and the number of anglers coming to fish muskies in this state proves it, as well as the growing number of anglers from within the state. Personally, I would like to see the minimum size limit increased to 45" on all lakes, and set higher limits on certain lakes. I would also like to see the efforts to create more musky waters continue. With more and more pressure, we need more and more waters.

If I am on a lake that isn't pressured all that much, I tend to stay in the traditional 8-14fow and throw traditional baits. On pressured lakes, I like to slow roll deep spinnerbaits off the deep weed edges down 20-30fow. Another good method on heavily pressured lakes is throwning Bulldawgs in super heavy cabbage and ripping through not caring how much weeds are on the hooks. Open water trolling is very boring but with good electronics it can be effective too.

Top over fished lakes... Mille Lacs, Bemidji, Cass, Big Detroit, all have a tremendous amount or recreational traffic and a lot of Muskie Fisherman on a daily basis.

As far as sleepers go, Okabogi has a lot of potential, some nice year classes that nobody knows about and not too many fisherman. The Wisconsin River is also hard to beat for numbers and size.

A couple new lakes for the southerners so they don't have to drive so far. Also, I personally would like to see a Muskie Stamp implemented. I would gladly pay 5-10 extra bucks as long as the money was being put back into the resource. After that, I would like to see a Statewide 50" minimum.

John,the idea of a musky stamp may be the best thing I've heard in awhile, in addition to a 50" or better min. size on every lake. I can't think of a musky hunter who wouldn't plunk down an extra $10 - heck it's half a lure for Pete's sake, or 3 gallons of gas. If that buys some extra stocking, or access building or improvement, or more research, it's worth it to me. What would be even better is if the stamp would be required in order for anyone to keep a fish. That would save quite a few of the fish that get killed every year that are caught by accident by people not even fishing for them, but are kept just because it's the biggest fish they ever caught. And don't everyone go nuts on me - I'm not against kids keeping a big fish and stuff like that. Trout fisherman are required to have a stamp just to fish for them, duck hunters (fed & state), and the list goes on and on. I think a stamp is a good idea.

Question 1: I have to admit that I started after the boom began so I don't really know any different. That said, I began making my own musky lures in the offseason, partly to hold off the boredom and partly because I figure anything that separates me from the pack will help with landing the next fish.

Question 2: The pond has to be the most fished, but wether or not it is over-fished is quite relative, a lot of anglers, but a lot of water and a lot of big fish. As for sleepers, I do think there are still a fair number of muskie lakes in MN that receive relatively little pressesure. I think quite a few of those smaller lakes have a some hawg fish in them that never or rarely get hooked. I've heard lots of stories of small lakes in nothern MN (of course never hear the names) but have not yet stumbled upon any that did something special for me that I would truly consider a "sleeper". On the other hand, any muskie lake I have ever fished under a couple thousand acres I have never seen more than one or two other boats out chucking muskie lures. So I guess in a way small muskie waters are all sleepers as they tend to recieve little presure and all have potential for a couple of big fish.

Question 3: Personally I'd like to see catch and release only state wide or a one fish per season limit. I just don't see any reason why someone would want to take mutiple muskies. Replicas look as good or better than skin mounts and I don't eat fish, but if my wife wants a meal of fish its small pike (20 - 24 inchers) or panfish. I also think it would be great to have more muskie lakes available, but that gets costly and while I don't buy the argument that they will eat all the other fish (after all the best muskie lakes happen to be the best multi-species lakes, i.e. the pond and its walleyes and smallies) yet I suppose they would really just be an invasive species in any lake they are introduced to.