• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's the best winter fishing line?

iffwalleyes

I use high vis fireline for both seasons. I started using it last winter and I really liked it no coil and it is super strong. From what I understand it sound like power pro has similar chacteristics.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Never have used powerpro in the winter. I normally sticked to Fireline ice for the winter. I think im going to try maxima this year for ice fishing. Paul Rohweller had suggested to me this line. I was a big braid fan because I didnt like the way monos, and etc handled. This line kind of changed my mind. Very good stuff. Guess I will find out if it can handle the cold. grin.gif

I sure can't tell you whats best, but I'll tell you what I like anyways. I'm still using tried and true Trilene XL in 6 and 8 pound for Walleye fishing.

I fish LOTW about exclusively thru the winter and with the shallow depth a guy usually fishes here I find the nonstrech/sensitivity issue with superbraids a non factor, and feel I ice more fish with mono as it has some strech which seems to work better with the action of the rods I prefer. With this being said, I do have a couple of Perch set-ups that are spooled with 8/2 powerpro. I fish Perch on the flats come mid-winter at depths around 33-35 foot mostly and it works well with a 3 foot or so section of floro as a leader. Outside of Perch fishing these deeper waters I still prefer mono.

fiskyknut

I use a lot of Power Pro and Fireline for all seasons. In the winter I use a Vanish shocker tied to the pro or fireline. With spoons and other agressive lures I use a barrel swivel, otherwise I use a back to back uniknot. Works good. Just set the drag to release a bit on hooksets and dont jump out of your chair on the set. Just a quick wrist snap. When I do go straight mono its Trilene XL or XT. I find the XT doesnt have as much memory in light diamiters.

[This message has been edited by Northlander (edited 11-05-2003).]

WhaTT!
Yes with the Berekly Fireline I have 0 coil or memory in it. I used to use the different ice lines and trilene but they always coiled and twisted for me. I used 8lb/3lb diameter on my walleye set ups and 6lb/2lb diameter on my panfish. You don't really need if for panfish but I was sick of having my line twist and coil all of the time I switch to fireline and all my problem were solved. I know that other super lines are the same but I started with fireline and have been satisfied so I haven't switched. This is just what I have found and it works well for me.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Didn't someone say that Power Pro was coming out with a new ice-line? If they were I would definitely look into buying some of that. As I love using their line for open water fishing.
Otherwise I normally use Trilene cold weather line in 4lb for crappies and sunfish, 8lb Fireline for walleyes and big crappies, and I got some 6lb Trilene Micro ice rigged on one rod for the in between stuff. I plan on adding some 8/1 Power Pro but first I would like to know if they were coming out with a new ice fishing line.

------------------
Fish ON!

Seaguar makes a great flourocarbon ice fishing line, it seems to have some kind of lubrication on it that helps it disperse water; It also has very low memory. I enjoyed using it this last winter for panfishing. Has anyone noticed that the powerpro 8/1 is flat instead of round. I either got a bad batch or it is truly flat. I could see line twist in it and it looked like dental floss. Just wondering if anyone noticed this before. If that's the case I will switch to the 10/2 powerpro, I know that is round.

Fisherdog

I also like P-Line, but prefer Seaguar better although it is a bit more expensive. However, don't get hoodwinked into buying the Seaguar "ice" because it is the EXACT same fluoro as the regular Seaguar...except it is 2 1/2 times the cost.

I've used both Fireline and Power Pro. The Power Pro holds up better, as Fireline tends to fray. PP costs more, but it lasts for many seasons (so will fireline) I tip them with 2-3 feet of Vanish. I started using this method about 4 years back and it is great.

------------------
Love them 'Pout!

Just wondering what everyone likes or dislikes.

I have been using Berkley Vanish for my mono and think it's ok. Looking for options though.

I want to try out Power Pro for my pike rod. Anyone use Power Pro or braided line in the winter, and how did it hold up to the winter conditions?

Thanks

I use 4# Trilene XL for Crappy and Walleyes, actually all my ice fishing rigs are rigged with it. Some of the super lines may be better, but I figure don't fix what ain't broke.

I tried Vanish and it was just to limp to work with easily, couldn't get it to thread through the tube on a slip bobber. I know coulda used the ice buster, but I didn't have one big enough to hold the jig I wanted to use at that time.

I also tried Rappala in the limp 4# and it was like fishing with sewing thread, any size of fish and it would break off, and thoes Angel Eyes are not cheap frown.gif

I agree with eelPout Master,
PowerPro or Fireline with a
3-4' leader. I was using 6#
Maxima supersoft for a leader
and was happy with it. This
year I'm going to try the
Seagar leader. Also another
important part of this rig is
the knot from your line to
leader. Cannot beat a bloodknot.
Hard to tie up, but the best
for lines of unequal types.
TonyS

Sweet, thanks for all the replies. I didn't know PP made an ice version.

I also didn't know Seagar made an ice line to.

Again thanks for all the ideas, you guys make this a great site.

What kind of line does not FLY OF THE REEL WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR BAIL!!I think the bobber stop that I use is partially to blame. I use the plastic with the holes. I use Vanish now that the best I've tried thus far...

The line I use for panfish is 2# to 4# Stren. It does get coils in it but for me thats not a bad thing. I watch the coiled line down in the hole, when a fish takes it the coil will slightly straiten. Kind of use it like a bobber.

Hiya,
I use a mish-mash depending on what I'm doing. For jigging walleyes, I use 10 or 12lb XL (bigger diameter slows the fall on swimming lures and spoons). I screwed around with flouro leaders last winter but I'm not convinced they make a big difference for jigging, especially on swimming lures (walleyes smash them without any bait on them at all, so I can't be convinced they're line shy...). For a dead stick I use 6lb XL with a 3ft flouro leader. again, not sure the flouro makes a huge difference, but you feel like you're trying anyhow. grin.gif

For panfish I used Berkly Micro Ice in 2 and 4 lb last year and liked it. I still have some spools of line that Thill made years back (not sure if it's still being made) in 1 and 2 lb when I feel like I need to get really sneaky, but it doesn't get used much.

For pike, I use 14lb Fireline. Someone asked about braids and superlines in an earlier post - as a rule of thumb, fused braid like fireline, powerpro or spiderwire fusion seems to stay pliable and work ok. Non-fused braids that soak up water turn into frozen rope if you're outside or in a cold shack. My experience anyhow - your mileage may vary wink.gif

Cheers,
RK