• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's the best winter fishing line?

iffwalleyes

I have had problems with Fireline fraying and freezing. Is there a Fireline micro ice line that is different than plain Fireline? The Fireline I am using is 8lb/4lb diamter. I am wondering if I went with 4 lb/1 diam. if I would get less ice build-up.

Well as far as panfish go, I pick up double 00 or triple 000 sewing thread at my local walmart store. Its cheap and is suprisingly strong. I have landed bass over the 5lb range on it with no trouble and its incredibly invisible in the water. You must use a rod with a very soft action, but the benifits are great on days when they are finicky.

I have always just used the same Trilene XL in winter as I do in summer, and use the same reels as well, simply switching from full-size to ice rods and back with the change of seasons.

I know XL through and through, having fished with it so many years. And limp line offers fewer tangle and ice-up problems in winter, especially when it comes off the larger spool of a full-sized summer reels. For a three-foot leader, I either use a blood knot to tie on Berkley Vanish or a small ball-bearing swivel. I've been using Vanish since it came out, and know its characteristics well. I like known quanitities, you see. For the bobber rod, I tie a swivel on the XL, put the split shot above it and tie on a Vanish leader between swivel and hook, usually a couple feet long.

Great combination!

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

pro - ALWAYS put a swivel inline if you have a jigging spoon on. It eliminates line twist. Most fish won't hit a spinning presentation. The weight is insignificant. If you are fishing jigs, I would not recommend it however.

All I am going to say is do not buy the cheap stuff, I started ice fish a few years back and the 1st year I did not want to invest too much $, so I really went cheap. Well needlessly to say I lost a lot of fish by using cheap line and I learned a good lesson...

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"