• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bolsa Chica Reserve - Pictures

Dbl

Had a bit of time today so made a trip to Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in Huntingtion Beach, CA. Has around 1200 acres of wetlands and 120 acres of upland habitat. There are around 3 miles of trails that are well marked with signs that do not let you stray from the trail.

Most of the paths are elevated making it nearly impossible to get down to water level for shooting. This is one place that demands looooong glass! A 500 or 600 with a TC would be about right. My 300/2.8 with 1.4 TC was far from ideal. I was shooting at high noon which gave me some headaches on exposure. My lens combo just did not give me the performance I normally get so I won't be posting much in the way of waterfowl, that plus I don't care for the higher angle of the shots.

I saw many species of ducks, Widgeons, Pintails, Bluebills, Bufflehead, Rudy Ducks, Teal just to name a few. Many shorebirds, Egrets, Cormorants, Gulls, Lizards, hummingbirds, wildflowers.

#1 These signs were everywhere!

251754299-L.jpg

#2 Bluebill

251754516-L-1.jpg

#3 Widgeon

251758764-L.jpg

#4 Shorebird

251754805-L.jpg

#5 Pelican

251756903-L.jpg

#6 Pelican fishing, this shot is not cropped.

251756790-XL.jpg

#7 Kestrel, normally I would not show a shot from the back but it was a rare angle to really show his feathers.

251756379-L.jpg

#8 Just sitting down on this guide shelter.

251756614-L.jpg

#9 From my research a Western Reef Heron - white plumage.

251755705-XL.jpg

#10 Egret

251755827-XL.jpg

#11 One more...a Bufflehead

251755133-L.jpg

Dbl all great shots #6 & #7 really standout, sounds like a great place to hang out for lunch in CA - you probably didn't even have a coat on.

Thanks for posting - especially nice to see open water that does't have to have current in it to stay open.