• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing 2007-2008

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see any picture from here Lee or Tim???

Ray you serious? Kelly gave you the boot? You o.k.? If you need to talk call Franky he's an expert at problem solving \:D If you wanna talk give me a call...

Todd you got me thinking.. I haven't even looked at the weather for Saturday, better do that now... Looking for a place to fish Monday.

Dad and Billy are off LC today with Z and Craig. Go get em guys...

So it goes guys. Now I start moving things back to my place one car load at a time. I hate multiple trips for anything! This will take some time. I'll start tomorrow if I feel a little better. Just a little run down from whatever I'm fighting off. Think I'l rest up today. Thanks for the support. I'm sure it'll hurt more once the reality sets in, but that's how it goes. Gotta get used to the solitude again.

K- Thanks, I'll let you know. I'm hoping to borrow a friend's van or my BIL's truck since they're close by. Only thing I really need help with is the snowblower.

DC- Let me know and I'll help you get those blanks as cheap as I can. I'm still considered a shop so... The solid graphite cuts easy too if you have to go with a longer blank. There is a trick that works good to prevent any splitting or flaking at the butt. I'll email you if you need or want to know. I don't know if I'll ever try my hand a building again, but I'd be glad to have you build me one if you ever have the time. If that was the glass blank, I've found a couple places. Just trying to get the best price. I had to mike the tip and butt to be sure they are the same or as close as possible. Price isn't bad. The Avid went up a couple bucks, I think. I still have the longer ones too if you get in a jam and need one, we can cut it down. Can't wait to see it in person and hold/try it. That is, if you don't mind. Jay, what do you use for a rod wrapping jig/stand? Still giving this bug a good fight. Hope I beat it soon.

Fished a small lake in PENNA. Bite must of been off there because we did the worst I have done there in 30 yrs of fishing. A decent day there is at least a dozen fish. Includes huge gills desent crappie and a few jumbo perch. I ended up with 1 gill,1 sunnie and 1 perch. My partner only got 1 keeper gill. We caught at least 50 apiece. All were too small.

Fullmoon - that rod is one of the avid's we got from you. I sanded the tip a tad to soften it. and they are sweet. Timmy and Kyle were getting romantic in the parking lot last night checking out the rod. I'll probably take those longer ones off your hands...

When Tank got home today Beth and I grabbed the auger, a rod, a bucket, and the Marcum. Her first time on the ice...

p2150440rg9.jpg

First fish showed up on the screen, I coatched her through it and after telling her to set the hook 3 times and alot of drag screaming she landed this...

p2150437pl5.jpg

A little while later this gill.

p2150438kb8.jpg

We only stayed a bit, marked 5 fish , one sniffer, caught the two and missed 2. She did great minus the whole hook setting part..

Good for you Beth! Great to see your sweety get out there and try it. Now don't do a Steve thing and consider her for a TA partner \:D Sorry Steve just had to.. grin.gif Nice pictures Jay..

Well we had a great time on the ice today and as far as the fishing goes other than the perch none of the Rome guys scored a laker, but we did cash in on some great food provided by our Lake George guides. Special thanks goes out to Salmonspanker for the Chili and hardrolls, to Duane for the Venison sausage patties (I ate two) \:D and to insurance guy for some spectacular marinated venison steaks that topped us off.

It was nice seeing Auger and ENY Tyler again and thanks for the soda and beer's. Nice meeting Brian, Kyle's friend from back home. Other than the great perch action the most exciting action was the truck slip-n-slide coming out of the campground grin.gif First Brian got his 2 wheel drive F-150 stuck in the upper lot with the snowmobile trailer behind it. Took about 40 min. to get him out and on the road. Insurance Guy lost grip 3/4's up the hill and had to run back and forth and we rocked her two and fro to get her up top. that took 5 min. Last but not least Duane came the closest to the top with 40 ft. when he lost traction and had to back her down and swing left to make her to the top another 5 min. I marked on laker all day and got the rust off but never saw another fish. Perch the last hour before lunch were absolutely on fire lots of 6 to 9" but we were marking and catch ing instead of stroking it til a laker came by. Had a great time with the gang and her'e some pics...

Early morning Insurance Guy to the left and his Polaris and trailer to the right...

1001060ag6.jpg

Franky working hard to mark a laker..

1001061mj7.jpg

Duane hit's a nice laker..

1001062se4.jpg

Insurance guy hooked up! Kyle ready to help at the hole... Franky (left) supervising..

1001063de2.jpg

Nice Laker John..

1001064pq4.jpg

While perching in 30' Duane hooked this big fish on 2 lb. test cool.gif The fight was on \:D

1001065uk3.jpg

Took a while but this beautiful 27" was played beautiffulyy from the get go by Duane, that little Quantum sure does have a nice drag!

1001066kc7.jpg

Chow time and here is Franky checking out the the buffet layout that Rob, John, and Duane put together..

1001067jg2.jpg

Now the eats.. Here's what we realy came to the King for... \:D Duane's sausage burgers, incredible! Thanks Duane..

1001069ou6.jpg

It all started with Salmonspanker's chili, yum yum..

1001070mx6.jpg

It was nice fishing with Tuzzy today we didn't set the world on fire but we caught some fish.The UNIGILL was something I have never seen before has anyone else?

Tim, thanks for posting pics Bud it looks like you guys had a great time the EATS look very good cool.gif.

Tomorrow, Chef and kirkville 1 are going to meet me at my house and are going off Lewis pt. I have a few spots that I have to check out hopefully the walking isn'to bad I am sure we will find something out there.If anybody would like to join us we will be there about 6.30am for departure.

Timmy - Nice report and pictures. Too bad the lakers were "off" but thats fishing...

ThunderTodd - Nice chatting with you and I see what you mean with that bump on the uni-gill...

Tank and I had an awesome afternoon south of the border. We caught between 75-100 crappies plus a bunch of small gills and a few big bass. One here one there to begin then they went on a tear for over an hour before dark. They got quiet at dark and we stayed another hour picking a few here and there but tough comming after dark...

First crappie on the new "jedi" stick. I love that rod...

p2160446br0.jpg

Dad got this brusier bass shorty after getting there...

p2160444os2.jpg

Yes they liked the "hangover" jig...

p2160442wq4.jpg

The average fish for the trip was running around 10 inches...

p2160447vm7.jpg

All the way up to 13.5 grin.gif

p2160452bu0.jpg

p2160454ea1.jpg

They were not to picky especially that hour before dark...

p2160461ab7.jpg

Did I mention we were on a private lake all alone. whistle.gif

p2160448rx5.jpg

DC,nice pics man it looks like where we were nobody there thats cool.gif.It looks like the walking down there was pretty good nice talking with you also Jay I have never seen that before on the unigill but it looked funny.Nice to see the hangover jig did well. I was looking through my jigs today and forgot about the shad dart jigs I have, chartruse and rednose with hackle tied behind the head with some kind of tinsle it was tied with.I have had very good luck on the Big O for perch with these jigs I want to say they are a size 8 or 10 they are pretty beat up but still in tacked.

had a quick look at yesterdays haul . . . great job all! Thanks to John for the hosting on George! Great meeting all the new guys. Heading to C this morning and will be off the beach to the left. Cell does not work there, but will have radio, channel 4. TomD will meet me at the diner . . .yeah baby, views and chews . . . and then BigLee and maybe Kyle later around 1. Reports of catches are excellant. But you won't know if you don't go . . .

Lots of lookers and small fish in front of the beach. I did ok . . .it seemed they liked aggressive kastmasters! Heard the bite was better after 3. A small city was forming in front of Hyder. Left at 1130 as TomD had to go his daughter's birthday party and Bruno had forgot his shelter and the wind got brutal out there. Lots of people wandering around asking for info. Might check the craps later . . .

Went to the big O today kirkville got the only bonus fish 1 walleye we caught some dink perch and 1 silver bass. I would say we covered a 2 mile radius or more.Went to Caz and the wind was GAIL it was blowing so hard if you got up from your hut it would have been GONE crazy.gif.

There was a colony of people off messenger shoals we heard that they were smacking Waldos over there there must have been 30 huts over there.The ice on big O is 10 to 12 inches of good Ice every where we drilled thanks chris that nils is a animal

Man we did alot of walking..I got the jello legs now ;\) That wind was nasty!There wasnt a sole on erieville or eatonbrook when I ent through that area I was kind of surprised.All in all it was good to be out with friends and got lots of exercise.Here's a pic not the greatest but it was pretty cold early...17 3/4"

eye.jpg