• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shed Hunting

DeanoB

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys im new to shed hunting and it seems like every time i go out im either too early too late or i just cant find them i know there are TONS of deer where im looking i just am not sure when the best time to look for them is

hey i havent been on in awhile, sounds like a few of you are finding some sheds. I remember seeing that trail cam picture of the deer with the stickers, thats awesome you got his sheds. Im a little jealous. I dont have private land to walk, so ive been pretty fortunate to have the success ive had. I found one more last friday, a small 4 point side. Its number 4 on the year for me, so far, hope to quadruple that atleast. We will see, how it plays out once the competition kicks into full gear. I did see 7 bucks yesterday still sporting both sides, so thats some good news. I didnt get a pic of the shed as it lay because the camera was so cold it wouldnt work, but here are a couple of it after I got it home. Keep those pictures coming guys!!

002-6.jpg

003-7.jpg

I'm heading up to Carlton to look more this wkd. With there being no new snow for a long time I'm hoping to find a couple sheds. I havn't looked now for about 2 weeks. Its definetely easy walking out there. The only bad thing is only about half if that half dropped antlers so far judging by my trail cam pics. I'll post anything I find on Monday. Good luck to everyone!!!

cj

I posted back in early January about two bucks that had each lost on Antler a couple weeks before that.

Then the Forum got all tangled up and I lost the placement of this thread.

Well I found it again, and these two bucks lost their other side about two weeks ago.

I have not seen these early drops before,usually not till mid- Feb or March.

Any experts out there that can say what causes the Antler to be ready to drop, and why it may change year to year???

Seems like it would be an advantage against predators to keep them through the Winter, like normal.

Thats a nice matching set. Good work.

Well, I looked for 4 hours on sat. and 3 hours today. My goal was to find 3 antlers this wkd. I found one. It was kind of cool though. There is a hard crust on the top layer of snow. The antler fell off and landed with the g2 spearing the snow so the base was up. Never saw this before. Talk about bleed. Several feet after I found the antler, blood starting dripping a lot. I was able to follow it about 125 yds by the blood trail till it dried up. I havn't ever seen that either. Never found the other half though. Here's some pics. Enjoy!!

>

>

>

>

Talking about the bleeding, I followed one about 2 miles that was just dripping blood at a pretty regular pace, and never did manage to locate the antler. I would have thought that they would have dried up pretty quick, but this guy obviously bled for quite a while.

i saw 7 bucks this weekend while i was out looking. I came out empty handed but im glad I seem to have found a good winter buck herd for when they DO drop. That matched set....those werent found in Duluth, were they? The background on the pics looks familiar to me, but i notice by your name is says SE Minnesota?? Just curious. Its nice findin fresh ones withblood on the bases. Always a treat to find the other side too!!

Yeah, they are Duluth antlers. We were up with the kids for the youth hockey tournement and looked for a few hours. We saw that big herd down by the rail yard as we came over the bridge and glassed for a while. We counted 9 bucks in that bunch. do those deer ever leave the rail yard? I see they put corn out for them in the yard.

You dont have to tell me if you dont want, it just looked VERY familiar to me, I walk quite a bit for sheds.. Did you find that set off of hutchinson up in Piedmont?? ANyways thats wht it looked like to me. I have a lot of trail cam pics of bucks from there... I can check to see if I have any pics of him if thats where they were picked up?? Let me know!!

To be honest, I am not sure. I was in the passenger side and didn't pay much attention to where he was driving. I know it was on top the hill by some public trails. If you have a photo that looks close let me know, I'd be interested in seeing them on the hoof. I have several other photos of the antlers if that would help identify him.

maybe ask him about the location... Was it on the west or east end?? I just looked through some of the pictures, I have a couple decent 8 points in there, its hard to tell, they dont look exactly like it but it was in september too... Who knows??

Ill try and get the pics up this weekend or tomorrow or something. I have to run some errands right now actually. How far away were they from one another?? Can you tell i have shed envy? haha