• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shed Hunting

DeanoB

Quote:

I usually have a few displayed throughout the house but right now they are all in a box until my basement is finished. Im building a display rack/shelf for them that I saw someone post on a forum last year. Some people collect them, like myself, other people just give them away or leave em in the woods. Hammer handle, if you find any this year, you should contact me somehow. My email is
Im addcited to them. I will give ya some cash for them. If you have someone that you give them to every year, feel free to keep doing do, but Id love to do business with ya!! And as far as illega; tp keep moose sheds. Never heard that, aside from national or state parks. No sheds can be taken off that land, whitetail, moose, etc. However legally skulls must get permission from the DNR I believe. This is to prevent poachers. The DNR must verfiy how the animal died, etc. Cutting antlers off of roadkill bucks must obey this same law. and Hammer handle, dont forget about me!!

There are definetely people that collect them...shed heads are in a whole different category - check out www.shedantlers.org ...you'll see that shed hunting is HUGE and there are people (like myself) that are absoutely obsessed with it.

Moose sheds are definetely legal to pick up in MN...you're not "supposed" to take them out of the boundary waters, but it happens. Also if you find a skull, you're just crazy if you call the DNR to have them check it out before you take it home....more often than not you'll never see that skull again. Just take it home and don't worry about it.

Nice sheds shedfreak!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHA already a part of NASHC North American Shed Hunters Club. Im on the site dozens of times a day in fact. Went down to the convention last spring as well. A "shed head" I am. Are you a member on the NASHC site as well? My handle is also shedfreak32 on there. I usually only post when I find something but have now gotten to the point where I try to post everyday.

Spent a couple hours walking through the DEEP snow on sunday, but unfortunately no sheds. Even after the big melt there is still a LOT of snow in the woods up here... Aaron, that wasnt you I sawe up on skyline with the red Jeep was it?

Nope not me in the jeep. I have a dark grey z71 silverado with a deer shed decal on the back window. Lookin in the snow sucks huh? I lucked out on Sunday. I ended up finding one small one, thanks to a coyote who found it, chewed on it a little bit and left it right in the open. Looked for the match for a while with no luck. Well when I got back to my truck I figured out why I didnt find it.... I had the match in the truck already! It was a match to the one I found in December. Found it a long the same trail, about 200 yards away or so. Not a bad way to start the season... matches are hard to come by with all the competition.

003-6.jpg

004-4.jpg

005-3.jpg

009-2.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the european mount i had done on the dead buck I found in December, turned out pretty good I thought.

003-5.jpg

006-3.jpg

004-3.jpg

005-2.jpg

Just stopping by but I would just want you to know that putting any type of device out that is to make deer shed antlers is illegal in MN and WI for sure im not sure about other states so i would use them at your own risk because the fines are quite expensive.

Where does it state that, im just curious? I dont use one because where I shed hunt is public land, it would just make it easier for other people to find them. If they are illegal, how can they market them? There is a product out there actually called the shed trap. Seems odd that it would be illegal. Anyone else ever hear of such a thing. Im going to look into it and ill post whatever info i find out.

I have'nt heard about it being illegal. On another note I know an electician that does our contracting work and he brought in the biggest set of non-typical sheds I've ever seen. If I can get him to bring to bring them in again I'll take a picture and post them. Maybe I can get a picture of his whole collection he has some nice sheds and alot of them.

Originally Posted By: shedfreak
HAHA already a part of NASHC North American Shed Hunters Club. Im on the site dozens of times a day in fact. Went down to the convention last spring as well. A "shed head" I am. Are you a member on the NASHC site as well? My handle is also shedfreak32 on there. I usually only post when I find something but have now gotten to the point where I try to post everyday.

Shedfreak - I'm on there too...mainly in the moose forum. I've yet to get too overly worked up about whitetails after 4 years of picking up 20-30 lb moose sheds in Alaska when I lived there, but that's something a nice 80 inch whitetail shed could easily change. \:\)

Not to rain on anyones parade, but there is a good article in the Outdoor News about illegal shed catchers. It basically says they are illegal and even gives the statutes.

Minnesota Statute 97B.22

Collecting Antler sheds

(a). A person may take and possess naturally shed antlers without a license.

(B) A person may not place, arrange, or set equipment in a manner which is likely to artificially pull, sever, or otherwise cause antlers of live deer, mosse, elk, or caribou, to be shed or removed.

I know people do this, but the DNR will ticket you for doing it. Just an FYI, not judging anybody, but probably wouldn't advertise doing it on a public forum.

Thank You trigger I had new I read it somewhere but couldnt remember. Thats right where I read it in the outdoor news. Shedfreak if you read triggers post it states where the rule is. One of the main reasons they made this rule was because deer where getting caught in these and diing.

I was just going to paste that same information. Trigger, ya beat me to it. Iver never used one of them, dont know well they would work, but now I will definitely not use one. And Please post some pics of these nontypical shed!!

im pretty anxious to see them. Where is your electrician from? ? I know of a big nontypical and typical that are in the the same area, typical would probably be around 90... wonder if he found the ones i am after! I NEED to see them ! haha

First big one of the year. 3 below zero!!! big heavy 5 point side, almost a 7! One busted tine comin of the g3 and the fork on the g2 is there, but not long enough! Needless to say im pretty happy with the find. Record book antler no doubt.

004-5.jpg

005-4.jpg

002-4.jpg

He's from the Grand Rapids area and he found them over the years in many different areas. Of course he never tells me exactly where he found them but some were found around the big falls area. I'll give him a call and see if I can get pictures sooner than later.

Nice find Aaron, he's a dandy! He'll definitely be a shooter this year. My buddy say alll the bucks coming into his yard still have both sides, so there will be many more coming in the nexct few weeks I would bet!

Here's a couple of the sheds we've found so far this year. The big guy we've been chasing now the past couple of years luckily didn't get shot this year, and we were lucky to find his antlers. My buddy found the first one on January 4th, I found the other half this wkd on Sat. My girlfriend found her first shed, a 5 point. Nice first find, she was excited!!! Here are some pics to enjoy. The big guy scored 150.5. Hopefully, he's just as nice next year.

>

>

>

>

>

Wow. Nice finds you guys. I looked for 2 hours Tuesday with no luck. Just found a deer trail and kept following it. Found 7 beds with no luck. My father and I are going tomorrow. You would think if any antlers have fallen within the last week to 10 days they would be sitting on top of the hard snow.

i was out last night coyote hunting (not to change the subject) but i had 2 bucks come by one 6 pt. had both sides and one 4pt he only had 1side. went out this afternoon looking for sheds and all i found was coyote tracks. go figure !! i was also out pheasant hunting at a game farm in hinckley in 2nd week of jan and found a 4pt shed. i hope to get out in the next couple of weeks and look for some more.

I found my second antler in the dark tonight around 7pm. It lay in a melted deer bed and showed up white against the dark background. Pretty cool even though the 7 inch main beam isn't to impressive!